RC Enthusiast

Spiral Differential Gear

hi everyone,

have anyone tried this spiral differential gear?

it's from boom racing.... not sure if it is tough enough for the summit..

RC Enthusiast
    er.. have somebody have tried this up?
    at least an general opinion on using spiral gear..(Hot Racing...anyone) ?

I run them in my smaller Crawlers no issues.
    In theory they should be stronger

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    I am running the spirals from hot racing. My first set shredded after a bearing blew, so my guess is along with metal shielded bearings coming from the center drive shaft you should be ok. They have been performing alright for me, although I can't quite say what has made the most improvement in durability. I got so sick of the rear diff shredding I put in, aluminum diff cups, aluminum diff housings along with metal shielded ceramic bearings from avid. I have been running 6s with a tekin rx8 2250kv, before I was blowing the diff what seemed like every run using only 4s.

RC Racer
    Wow I just checked the price of these from boom racing $17.99! Not much more than what stock costs, give them a go and let us know. I may end up doing the front with these and the rear if I find any damage when replacing diff fluid.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm currently building both my diffs... will metal shielded bearing helps on the pinion gear?
    I'm also currently dry fitting most of the gears and the shims...
    not sure if what I am doing is right but I always use the 0.1mm thickness for shimming...
    afterwards, I put as many shims as i can that have a smooth feeling when rotating the gears.
    so far, I can only put mostly 1x 0.1mm shim on pinion gear before having that not so smooth feeling when rotating.

for the spider gear, i put 2x 0.1mm on the locking side and 1 on the opposite before feeling a tightness when rotating..

what's your advice on that? have you done the same thing?

RC Racer
    I think I have around 3 shims on my pinion gear, as many as possible to remove play but still have a smooth gear mesh. I don't bother shimming the spider gears i havent had trouble there. Metal shielded helps in my opinion, I haven't had them explode like the rubber seals. It does allow in more dirt though but I don't think it's as big of a deal inside the diff.

Wow. So we have a choice between the two. I wonder which one uses the harder steel

Hot Racing $44
    FEATURES:
    - Precision machined helical spiral cut gears offer inherently greater strength and smooth operation than the factory bevel cut ears
    - 37T/13T high torque gear ratio reduces torque twist
    - Construction: high carbon steel
    - Nitride case hardened for a long-wearing gear surface and a tough core
    - Compatible with the front or rear differential
    YOU WILL RECEIVE:
    - One (1) 37-tooth differential ring gear
    - One (1) 13-tooth differential pinion gear

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...RVO1337T;c=699

Boom Racing $19.00
    #BR271099 Steel Heavy Duty Helical Spiral Differential Ring & Pinion Gear (37T/13T)
    Features
    Lightweight upgrade instantly enhances overall performance in handling and durability
    Fits Perfectly for: E-Maxx front/rear diffs, the E-Revo front/rear diffs, the Rally VXL front diff, the Revo 3.3 front/rear diffs, the Slash 4X4 front diff, the Slayer Pro 4X4 front/rear diffs, the Summit 4X4 front/rear diffs, the Telluride 4X4 front diff, the T-Maxx 3.3 front/rear diffs, and the XO-1 front diff. * Gear one: Diameter (Inter): 6.5mm Diameter(Outer): 37mm Thickness: 4mm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...RYAX56M45VB35#
    Last edited by noir 522; 10-01-2016 at 05:52 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Racer
    Well bad luck fellas don't waste your money on the hot racing gears.
    This one proves my point with the metal shielded bearings, if you look at the left side of the bearing race you can see its snapped. If this was rubber shielded the bearing would have been in pieces and gears shredded as soon as it happened.

RC Racer
    Was it the gears or bearings?
    E-Maxx 150A and 2100kv 4-pole

RC Racer
    The gears gave way, the bearing even though it had some grinding and such inside it didn't allow the pinion to move. An update as well hot racing does sell just the pinion gear. That's where all the damage is, it seems like its made of a weaker material than the ring gear. I am going to have to order a set from boom racing and see what happens.

RC Enthusiast
    have you ordered the gears?
    a definite update is in order for this...
    am also holding back my assembly with the stock gear to see if those gears are better than stock.
    I'm also waiting for the ceramic metal shielded bearing as you suggested.

I'm doing all of this since my tires are big..(RC4WD Demolishers)....

RC Qualifier
    Heard via a book of the faces group i'm in that LEM will be releasing their take on spiral gears on the 8th. If i wanted/needed to try out spiral gears, they would be my #1 choice simply based on their other, almost bullet-proof, products I've used.
    crawl-bash-swim. The Summit does it all.

Ya gotta admit LEM have always looked out for us summit guys. They comb the summit forums constantly looking for our suggestions.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

"Book of the faces."

Now thats what I call Game of Thrones overload.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the info about LEM, going to wait and order those. I see them on their site, they suggest using upgraded bearings. Boca or fast eddy, I am a fan of avid bearings myself. http://store.leadingedgemachining.ne...-p/lem-238.htm

Gotta hand it to Charles, like mentioned I do think he's sifts through the forums. He takes our comments & concentrates on stuff we actually need instead of the extra fluff the big manufacturers give us.

There's a few of us trialing diff cups for the X Maxx for LEM as well. Pretty sure he's the only one using 7075 aluminum for them too.
    After the cups, he's also doing the ring gear & pinions.

Ok I'll say it.

iS THIS A NECESSARY UPGRADE? ? ? ? ? ?

Yea hardened steel gears and aluminum diff cups I agree, but a simple firm shim job and the diffs are bullet proof. Once the hardened gears, aluminum cups and shimming is done I rarely hear of any more gear failures. The hardened spiral gears and the required special bearings makes me wonder I we really fixing a TRUE problem or just adding technical bling to our trucks.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Racer
    I have hot racing spiral cut gears due to shredding stock gears all the time I also have avid bearings, lem diff cups and spider gears with a tekin rx8/t8 2250 and HD clutch
    Xmaxx, Summit, Villain ex, Aton, Alias, 4 tec 2.0

RC Competitor
    I apologize for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I thought I might add my findings. I tried both the Boom Racing and Hot Racing helical gears. Since helical gears put more strain on the diff housing, I also bought the Hot Racing aluminum version. The Boom Racing gears do not fit in the Not Racing diff housing without a bit of grinding.

I went through several sets of bearings trying all these out, as well as disassembling and reassembling my Summit multiple times. If you have really good bearings, and are extremely diligent in shimming the diff so it can't move side to side, and the pinion gear so it can't move in and out, you might have luck with the helical gears.

I've gone back to the Traxxas straight cut gears, still with the HR diff housings and cups. It is a tiny bit noisier, but does not require so many shims to get a good mesh. The Hot Racing diff housing is a good product. The HR diff cups are also nice. But, my recommendation is to stick with the straight cut diff/pinion gears.

RC Enthusiast
    I would (and many others) like to see a fresh & innovative redesign of the Revo-spec differentials to include larger bearings, stronger housing, more spider gears & pinion/ring gear to handle 6s BL power. And to include cross-component compatibility for the Summit. To my knowledge, there is no other area of clandestine, consistent & routine failure than the differentials. I know that some of this is user error. However I am sure that Traxxas is aware that their products are heavily upgraded, mainly in terms of power. Of course on the flip side this does increase profit by selling replacement parts!