RC poster

Should I get a new Piston or engine Or should I just convert my nitro to brushless?

I have a slayer pro 4x4 nitro and I took apart the engine today because it was not cranking. I looked inside of the engine and the piston head was not connected to the shaft. Should I get a new piston and install it or Should I get a new engine?
    I really like the sound of nitro and the smell, but what about going brushless for the slayer? Will that be a better option than nitro?
    Here are the images: http://imgur.com/a/9F4qq

I also recently had my exhaust manifold break off but I doubt that is the problem
    Last edited by Double G; 09-21-2016 at 05:01 PM. Reason: merge

If you continued to run the engine with the header broken then yes, it is a problem as the proper amount of fuel was not getting pushed from the tank resulting in a lean condition.
    You could use the trade-in/Power-up program with Traxxas to get a new engine, or go to eBay and get one from a chop shop and install it or purchase a new sleeve, piston, rod and bearings and rebuild the engine.
    You could go brushless but the conversion will cost around $100, you'll need to lock the transmission in second and then you have the cost of the ESC/motor which is another $150 (the VXL will not work well with this size truck).
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Thanks for your reply. I think Ill just get another motor for it.