Dabbler's Slash 2WD Custom "Gordini" Edition (a.k.a. Land Jet)

It seems that I've been on a Traxxas kick lately, because I built a Rustler just a few months ago, and had bought this Slash VXL 2WD LCG pre-roller chassis before I had even finished the Rustler. I also just bought a Slash 4x4 pre-roller chassis, right as I finished this Slash 2WD build. That's it, though! I'm not getting anymore.

Why did I get a Slash 2WD? Because, I had an idea of something that would be cool, a sort of Slash "Land Jet". The idea derived from a leftover brushless outrunner motor I owned, which had failed to satisfy me in powering either an Axial SCX10 or Wraith, so my thoughts went to an on-road application. I picked the Slash 2WD VXL LCG chassis, because of it's length, stability, battery compartment, and transmission.

Here's what I did: The motor is a D3542 1250KV brushless outrunner, capable of 4S. It fit easily in the gearbox, with room to spin (as outrunners typically do), but a port had to be made on the back of the gearbox, for the wires to exit. I had an extra "black" gearbox, leftover from my old Traxxas MJ Son-uva Digger, so I modified it, in case I ever want to switch to a standard brushless inrunner. I also had to widen the bottom motor mount slot, in order to fit the big 35T pinion. I suppose I could've gotten a smaller spur gear, but that would've taken longer, and the Dremel tool was right there.

The only other modification I made, was reinforcing the stock drive shafts, by screwing in #8-32 threaded rod into the hollow half-shafts, then trimming off the excess. This was done for my Rustler build, also, and has worked well, so far.

Electronics:
    • D3542 1250KV brushless outrunner (7-pole)
    • 100A car esc
    • RPM 73272 ESC Cage for the Castle Sidewinder 3 and SCT ESC'S, Black
    • PowerHD 8312TG servo
    • Traxxas 6318 receiver
    • GoolRC LED lights
    • GForce 5400mah 60c 4S LiPo battery

Chassis, Wheels & Tires
    • Traxxas Slash VXL LCG 2WD pre-roller
    • Traxxas Slash "Gordini" SCT body (pre-painted)
    • Traxxas #3619 front/rear body mounts (same as on old Monster Jam trucks)
    • Axial 8-hole 2.2 plastic beadlock rims
    • HPI Racing Yokohama Geolandar 2.2 tires

Chassis pics:

Completed build pics:

The first time I ran it, I used a 3S LiPo, because I knew a 2S would be a joke, for such a low KV motor, even if it did have a large pinion. I picked an ESC that would support up to a 4S LiPo, since the motor was also 4S compatible. I figured I might need it. That initial run was okay, but the speed was only on par with a stock Traxxas VXL 2WD running 2S. For the 2nd run, I stepped up to a 4S, and that is when the "Land Jet" came alive. I was all smiles, listening to that thing whine, as it sped up & down the street. Even taking off slow and building up to speed is pure enjoyment, because it sounds like a turbo diesel, or jet turbine cranking up, or winding down (It also reminds me of the DeLorean from Back to the Future). The max temps I measured, using my infrared temp gun, was about 144, which I'm sure is within spec.

Overall, I'm absolutely satisfied with this truck, and I'm even fond of that fluorescent orange "Gordini" body. I think that that is one of the best looking SCT bodies that Traxxas has produced.

Full running video of the Slash "Land Jet" in action:

RC Enthusiast
    Looks good! what did you do for the lights?

Quote Originally Posted by NThompson View Post
    Looks good! what did you do for the lights?
    Thanks!

GoolRC light set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141742277892...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks really nice. Never thought about modifying the CVDs like that lolol but whatever works. thats about 10x Cheaper than MIPs
    Upgraded Slash 4x4 | 75+ MPH

"The only other modification I made, was reinforcing the stock drive shafts, by screwing in #8-32 threaded rod into the hollow half-shafts, then trimming off the excess. This was done for my Rustler build, also, and has worked well, so far." - How does this help re-in force the driveshaft? My experience has them failing at the outer joint.
    Just another bash addict...

Quote Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
    How does this help re-in force the driveshaft? My experience has them failing at the outer joint.
    Well, I suppose it could be a waste of time and materials, but I thought I'd read in various threads where some shafts had twisted under heavy torque. I don't have personal experience with it, but decided to try it as a preventative measure.

Oh I got ya. Yeah, mine twist where the joint(s) come together. I only use CVD's anymore.
    Just another bash addict...

RC Enthusiast
    Looks exceptionally good, I really like the sound of it.��
    J.E.T.S

Thanks! Yeah, the sound is half the enjoyment. Just running it at half throttle yields a pleasant note.

Configuration update

Goodness, me! It's only been a few weeks and already I intend to make a major change to my Slash.

Perhaps inspired by the Autumn/Halloween season, I thought some green RPM A-arms would match that fluorescent orange "Gordini" body quite well. While I was shopping in the RPM section on Tower, I espied the Hybrid Gearbox Housing, which was also available in green, and I greatly desired it, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to keep the brushless outrunner motor, because I wouldn't want to drill or dremel that nice housing, just to make one motor fit. At the same time, I had just done all this work to get such a cool setup.

Well, I went ahead and ordered it, along with the A-arms, figuring I could use one of my standard brushless inrunners, and later on, I could swap it all back over. Earlier today, as I thought about this whole idea, it gnawed at me, because I didn't want to undo all the work I'd done on my current gearbox, and then the light bulb came on! Why not get a set of transmission internals and make a completely separate tranny, with its own motor? That way, I could easily switch from one setup to another, only by disconnecting the drive shafts and motor wires. I quickly jumped on eBay and found a complete tranny (last one!) with the spur & slipper intact (which was a bonus, since most of them were missing the spur & slipper, and that costs about $30 or so, to buy separately).

I know that this is not some brilliant breakthrough, but I'm excited about it, because I really think this green RPM gearbox will look great, especially with the purple colored motor I intend to mount to it. After the holidays, or perhaps much later, like in the spring time, I'll switch back to the outrunner setup. After all, an outrunner is more vulnerable to debris, which there'll be more of, during the fall & winter months.

Alright, a little update.

My Slash has officially been RPM'ized. This is the first RC I've ever put so many RPM parts on, and I have to say that I am pretty fond of the quality of them all. The green really enhanced the orange Gordini Edition body. Something else I did was go ahead and upgrade the bulkhead, hinge pins, hub carriers, caster blocks, and shock towers with STRC aluminum parts (w/exception of the steel hinge pins) which I bought when I was planning out this build.

Looks like this thread has been overdue for an update.

Up until a couple weeks ago, I'd been using my old Axial Deadbolt body (you can see a video of it, here), but I trashed it, after trying to mock it up on an SMT10 MAX-D chassis. This left me without a body. On a whim, I dropped the ARRMA Senton 6S body on my Slash 2WD LCG chassis, and, as it turned out, the fit was great! The mounts aligned with the holes almost perfectly. I like it, because the body is very strong and has plenty of vents, which help with aerodynamics, which is helpful for all the street running I do. I also dropped in a matching red, Leopard Hobby 3450KV motor, and ordered some VG Racing heavy duty red springs (to replace the Integy's). I've been having a lot of fun with this setup, lately. With 86/27 gearing, the motor has only been reaching around 110, so I'm going to try a 33t pinion, for added fun. Next up, some LED lights for that body.

RC Qualifier
    Would you suggest the Senton body for racing? How expensive is it?
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.