RC Competitor

EZ-Peak dual 100W charger problem

Hello!

I have a problem with my charger.I have two Traxxas 11,1 V 3s Lipo 5000 mah batterys.All worked fine the two first time i charged the batterys.I charged both simultaneously.The third time the indicator light stood at 1 A at a very long time and nothing happend.I unplugged the batterys and tried again.Now it charged the batterys.2 days later the same happend again! tryed to unplugged but the indicator light stood at 1 A.Charger recognizes lipo and i always used balance charging.

I tryed again but now i charged just one battery in the right port and switched to high output.Now it worked fine!!

Charged the second battery the same way and all worked fine!!

What is the problem? Is my charger defect?

Charger and batterys are brand new.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    while I am unfamiliar with that charger, it sounds like you may not be setting it properly

RC Competitor
    The charger is fully automatic with id (Auto battery identification).When i plug it in it it recognizes the batterys.Charger set Lipo and balance charging.The batterys are Traxxas id batterys.It seems like the charger cant charge two batterys simultaneously!!Output with two batterys are 4 amps but in high output mode 8 amps (One battery only) Any ideas????

RC Qualifier
    I would contact Traxxas's Warranty Department. I also have the Traxxas EZ-Peak Dual 100w iD Charger. I have not had a single issue since I bought it 6 months ago. It should charge the 3s LiPo in less than 1 hour.
    Slash Ultimate, HW XR8 SCT Pro/3660 SD-G2 4300 KV

RC Competitor
    Ok! Should it charge two 11.1 V 5000 mah less than 1 hour? The two first times i charged the right port was faster than the left.I think i was over 1,5-2 hour to charge! It cant be the batterys it works fine when i charge one at the time in high output mode!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    that charger is a lower model convenience charger. It is not high output.

RC Competitor
    Yes it har high output!

See here: https://traxxas.com/products/parts/c...k-dual-8amp-id

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That is hardly high output.. It is the most high output charger that Traxxas has

My 10 amp charger isn't high output, and there are chargers out there that make mine look like the cheap $30 charger it is....

and that 8 amp output is if you are charging 1 battery, not 2.... when charging 2, it is 4 amps per channel, and 4 amps per channel is a 0.8c charge rate on a 5000 mah battery -- keep in mind, a 3s should, in theory, take 33% longer to charge than a 2s......

that same 4 amps is only a 0.55c charge rate on a 7200 mah battery for example.....

I know SPC recommends their packs to be charged @ 1c. your charger can't even supply that in dual mode... 2c for an SPC is max.... there are some batteries capable of 8c or more charge rates for example
    Last edited by jimbo74; 09-29-2016 at 05:45 AM.

RC Competitor
    Ok! But it should charge two batterys simultaneously!! It is the hole ide with the dual charger!

RC Qualifier
    Make sure the little switch in the center is on the left side, not the right.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by captenen View Post
    Ok! But it should charge two batterys simultaneously!! It is the hole ide with the dual charger!
    it will charge 2 batteries at the same time, but at a lower charge rate

RC Competitor
    If you read what i posted all worked fine the two first times.Charged two batterys simultaneously!The third time i wouldnt charge! The switch at left! Tryed to unplugg and start over but it would not charge,then i pluged one battery in the right port and switch to the right an then the battery charged and worked fine!! Charged battery two the same way and all ok! So the batterys is ok but my charger can`t charge two batterys at the same time!

I highly recommend that you call Traxxas support. They are great! If it is a new charger they have a thirty free replacement warranty. Good luck!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    The only problem is that i live in Norway!

The only problem is that i live in Norway!
    Then you will likely have to contact your local dealer or distributor.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

I'm no expert and I don't have that charger(I have the 80 watt 6 amp EZ peak) but here's my thoughts. Is it hanging at the end of the charge in an effort to balance the cells? I've had mine do that a couple times...seems to take forever to finish the charge as the charger works to balance the individual cells. Doing 2 packs would only make it longer. Can you see cell voltage as it charges? When you put it on high output does it balance charge or just fast charge? I would try putting a single pack on balance charge and let it run it's course. I'm thinking that it will eventually finish once it gets the cells balanced?

I agree with Jimbo. 4 amps on a 5000mah pack will take over an hour to charge....longer if they are out of balance. I charge my 3s/5000mah SMC at 6 amps in about 45min.
    Last edited by Dcuda69; 09-29-2016 at 08:32 AM.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Competitor
    I`m new at this and just trying to understand what is going on.I cheked,when i charge one battery in right port and the switch to right "High output" it charge in balance mode and all works fine! I have never charged the batterys in fast mode!

Just to clarify
    - if you connect two ID batteries, one to each port, it does not balance charge both batteries with the switch in standard output mode ?
    - if you connect a single ID battery to the right high output port it does not balance charge in standard mode?
    - If you connect a single ID battery to the right high output port it does balance charge if the switch is in high output mode?
    - If you connect a single ID battery to the left standard output port it does not balance charge with the switch at standard output mode?
    - does the indicator light show an error? (e.g. 1A LED flashing )

RC Competitor
    The two first time i charged the batterys i charged both,balance and switch in standard output mode(4A).It worked fine,started at 1A and up to 4A and green light flashing.After 1,5 hour,solid green light and it was finish.The left battery took a little bit longer to charge.The third time,both batterys,balance in standard output mode it started but stopped at 1A.Stood so in 3 hours.Unnpluged and tried again but the same happend.Tried one in left,same happend.Tried one in right,same happend.Then i tried one battery in right,balance and switch in high output mode.It worked fine!!I have charged both batterys one at the time in right,balance and high output mode two times now an all is fine!! It must be a faulty charger? Everything is brand new!

RC Qualifier
    I would recommend always charging the batteries in Balance mode and in standard mode, Just my opinion. I can charge 2x 3s Lipos for my Merv in less than an hour, I don't have 2 3s Lipos for my slash so I don't know if it will take more than an hour to charge both.

I would first contact the Traxxas Warranty Department tho, they have very good Customer Service.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
    Just to clarify
    - if you connect two ID batteries, one to each port, it does not balance charge both batteries with the switch in standard output mode ?
    - if you connect a single ID battery to the right high output port it does not balance charge in standard mode?
    - If you connect a single ID battery to the right high output port it does balance charge if the switch is in high output mode?
    - If you connect a single ID battery to the left standard output port it does not balance charge with the switch at standard output mode?
    - does the indicator light show an error? (e.g. 1A LED flashing )
    It will Balance charge both iD batteries as long as they are both in Balance mode and not High output.

The two first time i charged the batterys i charged both,balance and switch in standard output mode(4A).It worked fine,started at 1A and up to 4A and green light flashing.After 1,5 hour,solid green light and it was finish.The left battery took a little bit longer to charge.The third time,both batterys,balance in standard output mode it started but stopped at 1A.Stood so in 3 hours.Unnpluged and tried again but the same happend.Tried one in left,same happend.Tried one in right,same happend.Then i tried one battery in right,balance and switch in high output mode.It worked fine!!I have charged both batterys one at the time in right,balance and high output mode two times now an all is fine!! It must be a faulty charger? Everything is brand new!
    If that´s the case then my guess would be towards an issue with the standard/high output switching system. For the fun of it slide the standard/high output switch forth and back a few times and try after if the standard output works. Contact your local/national dealer and see if you can get it replaced under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssRC View Post
    It will Balance charge both iD batteries as long as they are both in Balance mode and not High output.
    Yeah it should but the OP has the problem that it doesn't work

RC Competitor
    Update:
    Measured both batterys discharged(After driving the car): 10,6 V
    Measured both batterys charged(In high output mode,one battery at time in right port): 12,6 V
    After discharging i tried på Store charge both batterys,it worked fine! Measured both batterys: 11,5 V

All this is as it should be,right? Batterys are all good i think!

Now,after discharging both batterys should i charge both batterys in normal mode.One in left port and one in right port and se what happens! I guess my charger is defekt in normal mode!

RC Competitor
    Update:
    Both batterys would not charge in normal mode(4A)!! The light is stuck at 1A at at long time!!
    I`m going back to charge one battery at time in high output mode(8A)! This want hurt/damage my batterys?

Very disappointed of this charger!! I must contakt my local dealer and se if i can get a new charger!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Could you provide more information on how the RC vehicle was operated during the last run(s) when the battery packs did charge properly?
    Was the truck run until the first stage of the LVD activated (50% power) or until the second stage and the truck stopped moving?
    Was the depleted battery pack left connected to the ESC after the run for any length of time?
    How long after each run before you attempted to charge the packs?

RC Competitor
    My Slash 4x4 Ultimate was operating as it should! I always stop the car when the LCV aktivays(50%).I never run longer and always disconnekt the battey immediately! I have measured both batterys befor charging and they are 10,6 V.I charge batterys ca 15-20 min after i run.