RC Qualifier

Misused/Abused Puffy Lipo

Most of the information a have found about puffy lipos is placing blame on the user for some type of misuse. Well I would like to call malarkey. I am a seasoned vet when it comes to rc along with proper lipo maintenance. I have seen many a lipo puff for no good reason. The latest is one of my traxxas 11.1v lipos. I have two that I use for my stampede. A few months ago I storage charged both of them. When I pulled them out last week, one was puffed, one wasn't. I didn't abuse one of my batteries and not the other. That makes no sense. And I doubt everyone who has posted here about puffy lipo has misused their lipos. Ok just wanted to vent a little. Wish my puffy lipo could do the same. 😜
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

Did you cycle the packs at all during those "few months"? Once every six weeks (maximum) or four weeks (my preference) is what I aim for because that is what I have been advised to do by my supplier.
    If I don't do that, one could say it is abuse or misuse on my part.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In the vast majority of cases in which a LiPo battery pack has been charged and run several times without issue, but then puffed - IT IS DUE TO AN OPERATING CONDITION IMPOSED ON THE PACK IT DID NOT LIKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    In the vast majority of cases in which a LiPo battery pack has been charged and run several times without issue, but then puffed - IT IS DUE TO AN OPERATING CONDITION IMPOSED ON THE PACK IT DID NOT LIKE!
    Impossible in this case - he said so!
    But seriously, one can follow all the best preaching and practices in the world (charging, discharging, storing) and STILL have quality packs go bad because maybe they've taken one too many frontal (or other) impacts. There are so many ways to kill a good LiPo...

RC Champion
    I've been running my lipo for a while now, and seems a 3.2v per cell cut off is very low, and the cell on the negative side always seems to be around 3.1v at cut off, while the other cell is at 3.4v. this definitely over discharges the lipo and adds to puffing them.

Also, I've seen many users report their 25C 3s Traxxas lipo puff in their Aton and X-Maxx, so it might pull too much from the pack.

Activating lipo cut off and using proper storage will not garantee healthy batteries. There are many many factors that contribute to a lipo puffing....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I've been running my 3S 8400's in my X-Maxx for a month now, about 12 cycles total (cycle= 4.2>3.7>4.2). One single pass on pavement, stock everything and full charge turned both into that nice fluffy texture we call puffing. For what it's worth, they don't appear to have been in a state conducive to puffing, either. Fairly low cell resistances but the puffed ones show slightly higher IR.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by suburbazine View Post
    I've been running my 3S 8400's in my X-Maxx for a month now, about 12 cycles total (cycle= 4.2>3.7>4.2). One single pass on pavement, stock everything and full charge turned both into that nice fluffy texture we call puffing. For what it's worth, they don't appear to have been in a state conducive to puffing, either. Fairly low cell resistances but the puffed ones show slightly higher IR.

You say youre running 3s 8400 yet the pics are showing LP4s and 16.24V? Is there something wrong with these pics?
    Stampede 4X4 2700kv
    Xmaxx (stock)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by troyhebert View Post
    You say youre running 3s 8400 yet the pics are showing LP4s and 16.24V? Is there something wrong with these pics?
    It's a twin charger, ignore the 4S pack on the left side. The 3S's are on the right side.

RC Racer
    I stand corrected. Thank you.
    Stampede 4X4 2700kv
    Xmaxx (stock)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by suburbazine View Post

I am sorry to tell you this, but the cell IR's shown are terribly high. I can only hope your charger is not measuring the IR's accurately.

RC Racer
    Oh. That's high? I'm fairly sure it's accurate, my Fluke reports the same numbers. That's in Milliohms by the way (useless notation in the charger)

What numbers should I be seeing? My Kershaw packs sit around 2 milliohms per cell and they're brand new.

RC poster
    Again again again, puffing is normal lipol behavior. You didn't anything to change it. Remember, it's consumable thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Marana View Post
    Again again again, puffing is normal lipol behavior. You didn't anything to change it. Remember, it's consumable thing...
    A slight amount of swelling is normal. Puffing is only "normal" for an abused or misused pack.

Quote Originally Posted by ttThree View Post
    ...Some times I let the lipos stay on 3.2v (esc lipo cutoff) 1-2 days before charging them again...
    How do you know the ESC cutoff is 3.2 Volts per cell?

Misused/Abused Puffy Lipo

I and others have been hollering all over this forum and elsewhere that the 3.2V/c limit is too low and will cause damage. If you follow the advice that we have given many times you will tend to have much fewer problems than the average user. If you don't follow that advice, you will tend to start threads somewhat like this one.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have the same issue... Some times I let lipos stay on 3.2v (esc lipo cutoff) 1-2 days before charging them again...
    And there is the issue/problem!

...Also is it really normal that it takes 6 hours to storage charge the lipos from fully charged? I dont think so.
    ???!
    Alleging that all chargers discharge at the same rate is about as reasonable as claiming they all charge at the same rate.
    Your charger's discharge capability should be listed in its specs. I've seen as low as a 5-Watt rate to over a 1000-Watt rate for discharging. Most newer chargers are made predominantly of plastic. The older alu models were in effect large heat sinks, allowing much faster discharge rates.
    Since storage charging from full involves converting potential energy to heat, the time required is dependent on the amount of energy (battery size) and the capability of the discharging circuit to dissipate heat (discharge wattage spec).

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I and others have been hollering all over this forum and elsewhere that the 3.2V/c limit is too low and will cause damage. If you follow the advice that we have given many times you will tend to have much fewer problems than the average user. If you don't follow that advice, you will tend to start threads somewhat like this one.
    what would be a good low voltage cut off set at?

Quote Originally Posted by PahviNalle View Post
    what would be a good low voltage cut off set at?
    PLEASE only ask a question in ONE thread.