Thread: New to R/C

RC poster

New to R/C

I have a slash 2wd that I got last year and I'm still trying to learn a lot. I haven't used it in about 9 months.
    Last year I upgraded to a velineon brushless motor, I got a proline transmission. I am trying to learn how to gear it. I drive on flat asphalt 90% of the time and I like speed. I have 2 2s 3500 mah lipos and 1 3s 5000 mah lipo. I also want to know what kind of other upgrades I can do to increase durability such as what kind of aluminum parts are good. Any comments are welcome, thanks.

RC Qualifier
    NO ALUMINIUM!!! All aluminium leads to is trouble and even more aluminium parts! The most popular for upgrade parts is RPM. I would recommend, get parts as you need them don't go out and buy every RPM part for the slash and upgrade it all, just as a part breaks, upgrade that one part. The LCG chassis is a must for speed! As for gearing, Im not to sure...
    Have Fun and Drive Recklessly

RC poster
    Thanks I have replaced many parts with the same stock traxxas replacement. I will start looking into rpm parts

RC Qualifier
    RPM are good replacement parts, they have more flex then stock for sure! Aluminum does have its place, castor blocks in the front and bearing carriers are as far as I go with it. I'd definitely 2nd the LCG chassis, it's a night and day difference! Gearing wise with the Pro-Line tranny, which I also run, 23/86 with a 3s will get you in the upper 40mph range. I ran 26/86 and was over 50, but you really need to watch temps! Also with the Pro-Line tranny I'm not sure which other spur gears will fit it, last I looked Pro-Line did have a optional 76spur I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chopperguy View Post
    RPM are good replacement parts, they have more flex then stock for sure! Aluminum does have its place, castor blocks in the front and bearing carriers are as far as I go with it.
    Yup, you don't want aluminum in places that take a direct shock, like the arms, body posts, skids, etc... It is great for supporting parts like the bulkhead, carriers, and sometimes the shock tower. Remember, Integy parts are junk.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

The stock Slash is a very good machine for riding all around,and if I consider your case (running mostly on asphalt) its not needed to upgrade everyting to make them reliable,generally with this type of application its a good idea to upgrade driveshafts and increase the cooling efficiency of the Velineon system (ESC and motor) However if you want absolutely to upgrade some parts like the tabs,shock towers,bearing carriers and caster blocks, the best is to stay away from aluminum parts... they are too heavy and in case of impact they bent easily,so the best is nylon parts,like RPM ones,nylon weigh noting compare to alu and they are almost indestructible, the only thing you have to do if ever you go with it,is to put some CA glue on screws threads just before puting them in place.

I invite you to read the forum entitled (New guy alert) which contains pertinent informations for someone who's starting in the hobby.

https://monster.traxxas.com/forums/s...54#post6310054
    Last edited by MECANIC77; 10-10-2016 at 05:51 PM.
    Good driver...Bad setup...Bad things will happen

Oh I can see on the pics,that your Street fighter tires are in the wrong direction...

But do not fear God forgives...lol
    Last edited by MECANIC77; 10-10-2016 at 05:39 PM.
    Good driver...Bad setup...Bad things will happen