LaTrax Alias - Stock Motor Issues from New

A lot of reviews indicate the stock motors are problematic and fail early on in ownership.

Wondering if this is a wide spread issue, quality control and if the motors have been upgraded from factory as time has maybe improved the product, The Alias, as part of normal product improvements from Traxxas.

Or are pilots just upgrading to (and which if at all) other motors?

Thank you.

There was a later version motors that came out with no holes in the end cap. Many were quick to discredit the motors only to realize that most of the failures resulted in crashing under power or trying to power the Alias out of a barrier that prevented the blades from spinning. Myself included. Knowing this the motors last a lot longer. Life of the motors is around 4-5 hours or so which is the same as motors from Micro Motor Warehouse (which I owned as well but noted no difference in performance).
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Agreed, my Alias motors last much longer now that I know what kills them off !

sent from Northern Vermont

Thanks for the note.

RC poster
    Is the motor problem fixed

See my post above.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Is it hard to change out the motor

Sorry for all the questions but since traxxas says lifetime electronic warranty does it cost anything for new motors
    Last edited by Double G; 12-15-2016 at 08:08 AM. Reason: merge

Not hard to change.

Traxxas warranty is limited; read up on it. Their customer service is one of the best out there and have handled us on a case-by-case basis but when motors start to fail they cost around $30/set or so.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Ok thanks for the help

RC Racer
    I get 20-25 hours flying time and I go pretty hard. 6 batteries I run non stop with 10 min cooling breaks in between.

It is pretty easy to swap the motors out. I've had my alias for years. Once you get good at flying and don't crash much I changed all 4 motors once one quits. Otherwise you willchange one, then a couple packs later the next one quits......

But if your damaging motors by not powering down BEFORE you crash then this would get expensive

happy flying

RC poster
    What do u mean by power down before crash

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillanwilliams View Post
    What do u mean by power down before crash
    cut off the throttle. Ie lower the left hand stick immediately and ideally before you hit something as if the motors are under load and then you crash you are more likely to damage them.

It takes some practice but with my terrible flying I got pretty good at cutting the throttle quickly

RC poster
    Thanks and do u have more tips u know for me
    Last edited by Dillanwilliams; 12-16-2016 at 02:23 PM.

RC Racer
    I don't

im not that great a pilot haha

I did find though I went full orange in the front, canopy, blades and light covers and blue in the back. Made it easier to see orientation

RC poster
    I haven't flew mine yet because I'm getting it for Christmas but hopefully I'm good

RC Qualifier
    Thanks and do u have more tips u know for me
    I installed the LED light bar on mine , helps so much knowing the front of the quad quickly

RC poster
    Should I buy the camera

RC Qualifier
    Should I buy the camera
    It's kinda cool to take video. .. I have the setup for the Alias with the wide angle lens. Never use it now that I have my Aton . I'd sell it with both the standard lens and wide angle for 40 bucks shipped.

northern Vermont

RC poster
    Ok will it take me a while to be able to fly it or is it easy

RC Qualifier
    Depends on you're expectations I guess

northern Vermont

RC poster
    How many battery should I buy and what kind of extra parts would u recommend

RC Qualifier
    I'm a little overboard, I have 10 battery's, and everything else to build a Alias but a control board . I'd say 5 is a good amount. It does come with spare props .. the gear wheels that drive the props and a few motors are nice to have

northern Vermont

RC poster
    So your alias is all custom

RC Qualifier
    Hmmm , mostly all La trax spare parts , I have a white frame and battery tray , black chrome frame , every canopy color they make , gears , bearings, prop shafts, bunch of props, the little rubber landing pads , I have tried the mmw dark motors and have tried a few different battery's looking for longer fly time .

RC poster
    Nice lot of money in all of that

RC Qualifier
    The Alias parts are inexpensive , but it does add up !

RC poster
    I'm sure. I've been watching videos for tips but they done really tell nothing

RC Qualifier

RC Racer
    we have 3 alias in the house and since last sunday, i have orderd motors,props,gears,batterys,chargers, and even bought some dark series motors from another vender that to me didnt seem worth the money.

on all 3 drones we have had at least 1 motor just quit and all 3 have been on the red prop side, and all 3 have teeth missing on at least 1 gear and guess what there on the red prop sides lol. weird. other then that there pretty fun to fly and pretty durable.

RC Qualifier
    If you're knocking teeth off the gears then your putting stress on the tiny motors by getting tangled up in stuff . Once you learn to cut power just before hitting obstacles the motors will last much longer . I know, I've been there. .. broken everything there is to break on the Alias many times over. Fly them all the time now with very little failure.

northern Vermont

RC Enthusiast
    I got one of these for Christmas. Halfway through my 2nd battery 1 motor stopped running. No hard crashes and now power on barrier strikes. Just stopped working. The blade spins freely with a finger flick. Smoked motor?