RC Competitor

Question Is bluetooth module always required for TSM - or only during installation?

I can't find an answer to this seemingly simple question. I've decided to get TSM for both my Slash 4x4's. I have:

2238 TQ transmitter + 2218 receiver
    6507 TQi transmitter (red) + 6518 receiver (I think)

Initially i thought that the bluetooth module was only needed during the setup of the 6533 TSM receiver, and that once setup it would only require a transmitter with the multi-function knob. I was therefore thinking of getting this:

1pcs TQi transitter (blue)
    2pcs 6533 TSM receiver
    1pcs bluetooth module

I would then use the blue TQi transitter + bluetooth module to setup both 6533 receivers with the slash 4x4 TSM profiles and then install them on the cars. Then i would ditch my old TQ transitter and use the red and blue TQi transmitters instead.

But then i got some information that the bluetooth module is ALWAYS required? Is this true, and if so, why? If that is the case, then i would need to replace everything I've got today with the following:

2pcs TQi transitter (blue)
    2pcs 6533 TSM receiver
    2pcs bluetooth module

Anyone who can straighten this out for me? Would be much appreciated.

RC poster
    From my knowledge no. You dont need the module to activate tsm in anyway. When you dont have a bluetooth module the multifunction knob is used to set the amount of tsm that you like. Bluetooth is only for updating the tsm reciever and the tqi remote. As well as setting up many things within the app. You can select what you want the knob to do from the app. But from what I know its automatic for tsm setup. When you load a profile via bluetooth to the tsm reciever it will stay in even when you dont connect to bluetooth anymore.
    I cannot live without the module but thats a different story!

Hope this helps you.

Mamba !

RC Competitor
    rudyk, thanks for your quick reply! that sounds exactly like I thought it would be. This means that I can definitely start out with one Bluetooth module. Even if it might not be necessary to get started it's always good to be able to update firmware and access settings. If i like the module I can always buy a second!

RC poster
    That is what I did. Now I have 4 lol

Mamba !

RC Competitor
    Ok, so. I bought the following:

1pcs TQi transitter (6529, blue)
    2pcs 6533 TSM receiver
    1pcs bluetooth module

I have a red TQi transmitter (6507) which I thought I would use with one of the 6533's.

1. I bound the 6533 to the blue 6529 receiver and updated the firmware
    2. Verified that the receiver works.
    3. Tried to bind the red 6507 transmitter with the same 6533. Won't work, transmitter is signalling link error (red fast blinking)

I have checked the batteries, reset the 6507 transmitter to defaults, tried to bind it probably twenty times, double checked everything. nope.

What am I missing here? According to traxxas this transmitter should work since it has a multi-function knob. Maybe i am doing something wrong?
    Last edited by jahknee; 10-27-2016 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jahknee View Post
    Ok, so. I bought the following:

1pcs TQi transitter (6529, blue)
    2pcs 6533 TSM receiver
    1pcs bluetooth module

I have a red TQi transmitter (6507) which I thought I would use with one of the 6533's.

1. I bound the 6533 to the blue 6529 receiver and updated the firmware
    2. Verified that the receiver works.
    3. Tried to bind the red 6507 transmitter with the same 6533. Won't work, transmitter is signalling link error (red fast blinking)

I have checked the batteries, reset the 6507 transmitter to defaults, tried to bind it probably twenty times, double checked everything. nope.

What am I missing here? According to traxxas this transmitter should work since it has a multi-function knob. Maybe i am doing something wrong?
    Odd according to this the 6507R should would work:
    https://traxxas.com/support/Traxxas-...tibility-Guide

I have a 6507(red i Apple dock base) that came with my Slash 4x4 that was equipped with a 6518(non-TSM) receiver. Is yours a dock base radio(6507)? Looks like there's a 6507 and 6507R. Might have to contact Traxxas support for some clarification.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Competitor
    Yes, you are right. There are two versions, mine is 6507 (not R). I was surprised to see that the 6507R is actually a blue transmitter, with Bluetooth module, extra channels, etc. Mine looks like this, except for the docking station: http://postimg.org/image/7mgg85vzl/

I tried binding the 6507 transmitter to both my 6533's without success. But my blue 6529 transmitter binds to both of them. So 6533's are working as they should. And the firmware update (that i did on both 6533's via the blue 6529) hasn't of course affected the 6507 transmitter.

My only guess is that they maybe are incompatible? Hopefully someone will read this thread and enlighten me.

I contacted the Traxxas support and they didn't tell me anything revolutionary, merely asking if I had followed the TSM installation guide, which I had. I will try to call them later today.

RC Competitor
    I think i now know why this fails. My older red TQi can't bind with the 6533 receiver because it also needs a firmware update. I managed to find some threads where this was discussed:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...ck-transmitter
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-the-TQi-Radio

It seems that you either need the docking base or send it to Traxxas for a firmware update.

The information on the traxxas homepage is really vague about this, so I've emailed the Traxxas support and asked them if my conclusion is correct. I will update this tread when I get an answer.

RC Competitor

Transmitter requirements when upgrading to TSM receiver

Here's the answer from traxxas support that confirms what I wrote in the previous post, that the reason why I can't bind my red TQi transmitter to the 6533 receiver is because the transmitter needs a firmware update:

"Yes that is correct. I suggest going with the Bluetooth enabled TQi transmitter since there are very limited options in the apple devices that still work with the docking base."

As a summary, if you're going to upgrade to TSM here's the deal regarding the transmitters:

* A red TQi transmitter + docking base = You're good to go, IF you have an Apple device that is compatible with the docking base.
    * A red TQi transmitter only = The best option is probably to buy a blue TQi transmitter + bluetooth module. However, you might get it to work with a docking base. I've also read, providing it's true, that you can send it to Traxxas for a firmware upgrade. You might still need to upgrade the firmware in the receiver, check with traxxas first!
    * A blue TQi transmitter only = you need to buy/borrow the bluetooth module for installation.
    * A blue TQi transmitter + bluetooth module = You're good to go!

Hope this helps someone else.

RC poster
    Hello some one on this thread said that you also need the digital servo #2075 for TSM to work correctly ? Is that the case or incorrect ? Thanks guys.

Reg

Quote Originally Posted by regr View Post
    Hello some one on this thread said that you also need the digital servo #2075 for TSM to work correctly ? Is that the case or incorrect ? Thanks guys.

Reg
    Yes, you need a digital servo in order for TSM to function properly. Analog servos do not process the TSM receiver signals properly and therefore do not work.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!