RC Competitor

Post Micro minimosd + 3DR telemetry

Here are my experiences of adding a minimosd and a 3DR telemetry radio to my Aton. If you have already connected your camera to a video transmitter, then adding a micro minimosd is the next logical step. It will add a flight information overlay to your video feed. The micro minimosd is functionally equivalent to the non-micro version, but its smaller form factor will make it easier to fit underneath the Aton's canopy.

The minimosd needs to be plugged into the Aton's telemetry port so that means you will need to disconnect the bluetooth module. The port is on the left-side at the front - you can see the cables going from the port downwards towards the bluetooth button. The cable is very well connected to the port and I had to prize mine out using the flat edge of some tweezers. The micro minimosd is normally sold without any header pins attached which means you are going to need a soldering iron to add some (or solder cables directly). But you can buy them with pre-soldered pins unfortunately the pins are normally perpendicular to the board which I found made it hard to fit under the canopy. So I would recommend soldering the pins flat. If you don't like soldering (I don't but I still did it and made a mess but it still works ) you might be able to bend the pre-soldered pins with pliers or maybe you can squeeze it in as is.

Now the important part in all this is the cable from the minimosd to the telemetry port. The Aton's telemetry port is a DF13 6-pin connector, this looks similar to but is different from a JST (SH) connector. Don't confuse the two and double-check before you buy any cable. I blindly bought an APM to minimosd cable and it turned out to have the correct connector. Even with the correct connector you may find it does fit well into the Aton's port. The culprit will be some small knobbly bits (front and back) which can easily be sanded down with sand-paper. To configure the minimosd you will need a usb ftdi cable and the software here: https://github.com/night-ghost/minimosd-extra. Note the minimosd can be used without a camera connected - you will just see the flight information on black.

Once you have your micro minimosd working you may be tempted like me to throw a 3DR telemetry radio into the mix. With a 3DR radio you can see live flight information in mission planner or droidplanner. The main change you need to make is to replace the telemetry cable with a Y-cable so that you can connect both minimosd and the 3DR radio to the Aton's telemetry port. Most Y-cables I found had a DF13 5-pin connector but this will still fit into the 6-pin port. Now I don't quite get why direct cables with 6 pins are sold but the Y-cables only have 5??? Anyway I managed to get mission planner to receive telemetry from the Aton, however all the flight information from minimosd showed zeros No matter what I tried I couldnt get telemetry in both mission planner and minimosd at the same time. I would be interested to know if anyone has managed it.

RC Competitor
    The Aton does not send battery telemetry info over mavlink. To get battery capacity and voltage in the OSD, simply buy a JST Y-cable and connect the spare voltage output to Batt A + GND pins on the OSD.

Looks amazing. Not sure I'll dive that deep, but I love the tech. What do these mods do to your flight times?

RC Competitor
    The osd draws about 100mA, and about the same again for the 3dr radio. So maybe a couple of mins at most, not really noticeable. The biggest impact on flight times is still the hd cam (weight).

I should also mention I did find an OSD Y-cable with a DF13 6-pin to fit the Aton nicely, but unfortunately the other end does fit the 3dr radio I have.

RC Competitor
    I have now managed to re-wire the OSD Y-cable so that both MinimOSD and 3dr radio work together. For reference, 3-way GND, 3-way +5v, Aton tx to 3dr tx, Aton rx to 3dr rx & OSD rx. Pin ordering across all three is tx, rx, +5v. (Aton and 3dr radio also have rts and cts pins for hardware flow control but these are unused). Most sold Y-cables have at one end, a DF13 5-pin connector with tx/rx crossover. If you lift up the pin tabs with tweezers you can pull out the wires and push them into a DF13 6-pin connector in the right order to connect to the Aton.

Note: OSD will show zeros until a request for telemetry is received by the 3dr radio.

Unfortunately, the weather is bad at the moment so I can't try out uploading waypoints.

RC Competitor
    By way points do you mean, having the Aton fly a predetermined course?

RC Competitor
    Yes, probably try it with droidplanner since it'll be out in the field.

RC Competitor
    I found I can upload and download mission plans to the Aton, but I haven't found anyway to trigger them to run. It's probably going to require a firmware mod. The other day, Tower/droidplanner came in useful when I crashed in long grass - I could use it to easily locate the Aton as it shows your location relative to the Aton's last known position.

Here is what the telemetry looks like on the OSD:

RC poster
    can you post pics of your install please ??