RC Enthusiast

Traxxas slash Major Cogging/Studdering

Hey all,
    I've been banging my head at this problem for a while now. I have a traxxas slash 2wd with a hobbypower 60a esc (knockoff hobbywing which i had prior to this) and after a flip the car started cogging really badly at low speeds until it got up to 5 mph and then it was fine. Same problem in reverse.

I opened up the gear cover and there were no rocks stuch anywhere and the gear mesh was good. I oppened up the slipper clutch, and pads looked good. I tried sanding the disk and pads down a bit and cleaned the bearing. Still doing the same thing

It's not the battery pack since its been doing this after the crash. Doesnt seem to be suspension since it only does it when i run the motor on a hardish surface where tores are catching. The slipper clutch is not whining. The batteries have 60c discharge. The car doesn't have any drama or cog when i manually push it.

Tighten up your slipper all the way, back off 1/4 turn and try it .
    True cogging is a gearing /rpm deal

Hang up and Drive
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    No it's definetly not that. I tried tightening all the way, that did'nt work, neighter did a 1/4 turn back, 1/2 turn or 3/4. It cogs so badly that it takes 3 or 4 seconds or finally take off.

Does it cog if you are easy on the throttle when accelerating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Yes it does it on 100% throttle and easy throttle until it gets up to 5-7 mph

RC Enthusiast
    Here is a video of what the car does. This was on full throttle and I also eased on the throttle. Same results. It needs to get up to 5 mph or 6 mph to go. I can only describe it like cogging with a brishless motor except this lasts for a while no matter the throttle application

https://www.dropbox.com/s/veigkk58hz...95205.mp4?dl=0

Man, that sounds like something in the transmission. Does it do that if you have the back wheels off of the ground?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Traxxas slash Major Cogging/Studdering

One Broken or missing clutch pad.....

Hang up and Drive
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMcE View Post
    One Broken or missing clutch pad.....

Hang up and Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Man, that sounds like something in the transmission. Does it do that if you have the back wheels off of the ground?
    No, it was not doing it when I manually move the car on the ground. But YES it does do that in the air, not as badly though since there is no friction in the air and it is easier to get to 5mph.

RC Racer
    Check for broken/stretched wired between the ESC and receiver. My buddy's did that same thing with a castle system. The wires looked ok but it was stretched causing a connection issue.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    RESOLVED. I took the motor apart to check the bearings again and it seemed to spin roughly, found some dirt in there and I guess it's just a sign of the motor starting to go out since its also overheating on 2s (it wasn't before on the same gearing). Thanks again everybody!

RC poster
    you may have over geared your setup? does the motor go above 140F after a whole run?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by squidinkRC View Post
    you may have over geared your setup? does the motor go above 140F after a whole run?
    The setup has the same gearing. I still can't solve it I cleaned the bearing for the motor but nothing. The car dod this AFTER I flipped the car and nothing in the drivetrain is broken oddly enough(transmission bearings, gears, etc.)

RC Competitor
    sounds like an idler gear or something in the tranny is missing a tooth. have to ask - is there dust/dirt build up on the spur gear? use a nice pick and go through every tooth both pinion and spur gear.

RC Enthusiast
    Everyones been telling me it's the idler gear but I cleaned the whole transmisssion and in between the gears. I also cleaned the spur gear and pinion witha toothpick. I cleaned the bearings for the slipper and all the transmission bearings but no luck. Is this the sign of a bad brushless motor? Or a brushless motor going bad? When it gets up to speed it doesnt seem to lack in torque or speed.