RC Racer

Battery Voltage Error?

Hello Traxxas Forums. Ive been having a problem with my NiMH batteries where I would run them almost dead and they would run really fast when charged, which is good. The problem is that when I would plug them in they would only charge about 100-200mah before stopping. The voltage for a 9.6v 5000mah would say 13.4v when fully charged, when in reality it is fully dead. Having the same problem on my other 8.4v 5000mah battery and it goes up to 12.8v and stops at 100-200mah. What should I do because the rest charge fine? Thanks!

May I please ask what setting you are charging them at? What charger are you using?
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    May I please ask what setting you are charging them at? What charger are you using?
    I'm charging them from 1 amp to 5 amps. Tried them all and same outcome. I'm using a venom charger with single charging port and can charge up to 5 amps. Has multiple battery settings. Never had a problem with it

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Doogamaster2817 View Post
    Hello Traxxas Forums. Ive been having a problem with my NiMH batteries where I would run them almost dead and ...
    This is the cause of your problems, NiMH batteries are not designed to be completely discharged. There will be a point in running your truck where it will have about half the speed at full throttle, this is the point where the pack has 'dumped'. At this point you should stop running the truck, pull the pack, let it cool, and recharge.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    This is the cause of your problems, NiMH batteries are not designed to be completely discharged. There will be a point in running your truck where it will have about half the speed at full throttle, this is the point where the pack has 'dumped'. At this point you should stop running the truck, pull the pack, let it cool, and recharge.
    Absolutely correct. The cells are now damaged, as evidenced by the cells registering 1.675V each. The cells now have extremely high internal resistance. If you had a charger with a graphing function, you would see the voltage return to nearly the same level after charging as prior to charging. At that point, there is nothing you can do to correct the damage.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

How many charge cycles on the batteries in question (approximately) ?
    Had the batteries in question been in regular use up until now, or had they been in storage prior to that?

RC Enthusiast
    Hello Traxxas Forums. Ive been having a problem with my NiMH batteries where I would run them almost dead and they would run really fast when charged, which is good. The problem is that when I would plug them in they would only charge about 100-200mah before stopping. The voltage for a 9.6v 5000mah would say 13.4v when fully charged, when in reality it is fully dead. Having the same problem on my other 8.4v 5000mah battery and it goes up to 12.8v and stops at 100-200mah. What should I do because the rest charge fine? Thanks!

Get that poor thing some new tires!! How do you have any traction?!!

Sent From My SM-N930F Using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RCisInMyBlood23 View Post
    Get that poor thing some new tires!! How do you have any traction?!!

I put on my slicks. I have 2 other sets but it was for drifting.

RC Enthusiast
    I put on my slicks. I have 2 other sets but it was for drifting.

Oh. I suppose those make good drift tires until...

It might be a good idea to get a new Nimh or upgrade to a lipo. That battery looks like it has had a lot of use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4 and Slash VXL owner

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ljl23 View Post
    It might be a good idea to get a new Nimh or upgrade to a lipo. That battery looks like it has had a lot of use.

That was me taping it because it ripped in the back. I would get lipo but don't want any problems, so I just avoid it anyways. I'm happy with NiMH batteries and their power. It has only been used like 20 times. Fairly new

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RCisInMyBlood23 View Post
    Oh. I suppose those make good drift tires until...

... they rip through. They have already started doing that so maybe ill put some pvc pipes over the tires and make ultimate drifting lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    your battereies are junk

and a nimh can have far worse problems than a lipo when neglected

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    your battereies are junk

hey I was saying I like it. I didn't need you commenting about what I do. I don't want lipo, and I use NIMH. Everyone here accepts what I do so I don't need you saying my stuff is junk

That was me taping it because it ripped in the back. I would get lipo but don't want any problems, so I just avoid it anyways. I'm happy with NiMH batteries and their power. It has only been used like 20 times. Fairly new

Call the manufacturer? Is there a warranty on the battery?
    Slash 4x4 and Slash VXL owner

your battereies are junk

hey I was saying I like it. I didn't need you commenting about what I do. I don't want lipo, and I use NIMH. Everyone here accepts what I do so I don't need you saying my stuff is junk

Who commented about what you do? Batteries acting as you represented are damaged and are therefor not only junk, but dangerous junk at that. It is true that we have seen more calamitous results from damaged NiMH packs than from LiPo packs. So who told you to use LiPo?
    If you are determined to be insulted, you will be, no matter what the other party replies.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Not anymore no. Where I got it from is a limited warranty. Sort of stinks but whatever, its not a very expensive battery. Just wanted to see if there is any remedies to fixing it

RC Racer
    your battereies are junk

Sorry man. I thought you meant something about using nimh batteries because it wouldn't be the first time saying something bad about me using nimh. Yeah the battery was junk because it was faulty but what can I do

Battery Voltage Error?

Sorry man. I thought you meant something about using nimh batteries because it wouldn't be the first time saying something bad about me using nimh. Yeah the battery was junk because it was faulty but what can I do

A lot of people will scream, "GO LIPO", but really, if NiMH keeps the grin on your face, then go with what you know.

Like I said earlier, to keep your packs from getting that way, stop running when the pack dumps. I have NiMH packs that are 10 years old and still going strong because they haven't been over discharged.

Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The battery was over-discharged by the user and hence damaged, so why would this be a warranty issue? Warranty is for a manufactured defect of which over-discharging by use is NOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    The battery was over-discharged by the user and hence damaged, so why would this be a warranty issue? Warranty is for a manufactured defect of which over-discharging by use is NOT.
    Exactly !

Simple thought....Batteries can be dangerous, IF you do not respect them. Follow charge, Discharge, and Storage directions to the label. When you do you will get many years and cycles on them.
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4