RC poster

I'm a newbie and I need some help!

Hey guys I am just getting back into RC's and I have a bandit vxl and I just got this to try and step things up a little. Traxxas 4000mAh 11.1V 3-Cell 25C Lipo Battery, I like to run in a little of everything glass, dirt, and pavement. I have stock everything at this time. I would like to make this thing quick but still fun to use and won't burn out after running it for 10-15 min. Please help any suggestions or help is appreciated!
    <url>https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-4000mAh-11-1V-3-Cell-Battery/dp/B00PY7CYPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477352532&sr=8-1&keywords=Traxxas+4000mAh+11.1V+3-Cell+25C+Lipo+Battery</url>

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Get a 2s with a higher mah rating. I would go for 30 to 40 C as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to the forum, I think we have a forum which might possibly bring the minimum required to avoid you to toast everything in the first day...

You can click here to access. https://monster.traxxas.com/forums/s...54#post6310054
    Last edited by MECANIC77; 10-25-2016 at 10:49 AM.
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Get a 2s with a higher mah rating. I would go for 30 to 40 C as well.
    Higher capacity will increase runtime, but that pack should give you around 20 minutes and is a good place to start.

You REALLY need to get a temp gun and see how hot your motor is running, anything > 160*/F is not good. Out of the box, the truck is geared for 2S, so going 3S, you will want to gear down a couple of teeth on the pinion, or up a size on the spur. Whenever you make changes to the drivetrain it is a good idea to check temps every five minutes or so for the first pack to make sure your temps are good.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    You REALLY need to get a temp gun and see how hot your motor is running, anything > 160*/F is not good.

I just want clarify something here, when I said on the other forum (the Velineon motor cannot handle more than 170F) this is the very max before something sad happens... so now in the future I will follow Greatscott advice to lets a security margin to somebody start in the hobby.

Thanks to have take the time to read me and especially correcting me.
    Last edited by MECANIC77; 10-25-2016 at 11:58 AM.

RC poster
    Awesome thanks so much for the help guys and the info I'm super excited to get out and get a chance to run it and see what happen!!

RC poster
    is there a benefit to changing the pinion vs the spur either from a performance or power stand point or even a longevity stand point. IE like is one of them plastic and thus the better one to replace with aluminum or something?

RC poster
    one last question I think, when I charge my lipo in the storage setting how long can it sit in that state without issue a week, a month over the winter kinda deal?

Your questions is pertinent and I will try to answer accordly, Ok first I think they existe a little benefit to put the biggest possible spur gear, cause when a spur own more teeth it will take a little more time to wear out the extra meat, but the advandage must be subtle, Ok they existe only 2 possibles manner to set a gear ratio to obtain the same result with the number of turn the wheels can do vs the distance a vehicle will travel, however the acceleration performance and top speed characteristic will be exactly the same, the only expectable advantage is if a vehicle own a chain or a belt between the gears, then the bigger you set the pignon the less tight the chain or belt will turn, the less inertia have to change direction faster and little less friction is generate, and that has a effect on the performance and durability of the system, Ok for your last question I don't think so its a good idea to put a little more weight in motion with an alluminum spur gear unless its needed, when you can gain a little bit here and here and here, then on the final when all these little things are add together the globable performance efficiency increase, and I think is the beauty of all mechanical consideration.

Sorry but I'm not a batteries expert, however some of the guys here own a good understanding of these phenomenal things, and maybe they could help you.
    Last edited by MECANIC77; 10-26-2016 at 12:49 AM.

Sorry guys for the mistakes but I have hard time to learn english (from french) and I hope its understandable, but maybe we have to substitute all the own in my post by has, anyway he took me an hour or so to redact, cause with Google traduction when I put more than 3 words together, everything messed up, and I like better english than french, especially for technical explanations because this language is more logical and explicite, so I hope it should improve with time.
    Last edited by MECANIC77; 10-26-2016 at 12:31 PM.

RC poster
    thanks for the help!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MECANIC77 View Post
    Sorry guys for the mistakes but I have hard time to learn english (from french) ...
    Mate ... your English is way better than my French. Good thorough answer, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nike12000 View Post
    one last question I think, when I charge my lipo in the storage setting how long can it sit in that state without issue a week, a month over the winter kinda deal?

Could anyone answer please

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MECANIC77 View Post
    Could anyone answer please
    Storage is meant for long periods of not using your battery. So basically, anything longer than a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far I know for long time storage periode its always a good idea to balance just before puting a battery in the storage mode,cause its the only manner to make sure that each cells are at 3.85 volts
    Last edited by MECANIC77; 11-06-2016 at 09:28 PM.