Dabbler's Stampede 4x4 Monster Baja Bug

A little history. Over a year ago, I bought a Redcat Baja body to put on my old Traxxas Son-uva Digger/Stampede 2WD, but it didn't look as good as I'd hoped, and ended up looking better on my short wheelbase Axial SCX10. That lasted a month or so, and ended up in the attic. The body, that is. Well, I put together a Rustler back in early summer, using a Pro-line Bulldog body, but remembered that I had that Redcat Baja body, and thought it might make for a fun Monster Baja Bug, so I ordered some Traxxas Maxx 2.8 tires for the Rustler. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that a 4WD would be more capable for off-road, so I got a Stampede 4x4 VXL pre-roller off eBay. Finally got started on it this past week, and am looking forward to seeing how it turns out. This is my first Stampede 4x4!

Chassis/Body:
    • Stampede 4x4 VXL pre-roller chassis
    • Redcat Baja body
    • Traxxas Maxx 2.8" tires/wheels [TRA6771]
    • Traxxas 3767A Blue-Anodized Aluminum Shock Caps
    • Traxxas 4957R Progressive Rate Springs for Ultra Shocks
    • Traxxas 6893X Blue-Anodized Aluminum Bearing Adapter
    • Traxxas 6898 Sway Bar Kit
    • Traxxas 5186A Rubber Tires Mounted on Blue-Anodized Aluminum Wheelie Bar Wheels
    • King Headz Aluminum Motor Mount

Electronics:
    • Traxxas ET-3S esc
    • SnappyRC MMP ESC mount
    • Traxxas Velineon 4-pole brushless motor
    • Power HD WP 23G servo
    • Traxxas TQi receiver
    • Castle 10a BEC
    • Traxxas 6784 LED Chrome Light bar and Four Clear Lights

This is how it looked on the Rustler:

Quote Originally Posted by rcdabbler View Post
    Looks super cool, I like it!

Sent from Eastern Missouri
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    Looks super cool, I like it!

Thanks! Hopefully it'll look as good on the Stampede.

For the most part, my Stampede 4x4 Monster Beetle is complete, though there is some tweaking to do. We had mostly clear weather conditions yesterday evening, so I couldn't pass the opportunity to get it out for a spin.

I can see, now, why the Stampede 4x4 is a community favorite. I was all grins as soon as I pulled the trigger. I've never had a 4WD monster truck style basher, so it was refreshing being able to pull out situations that a 2WD would get stuck in. My first 1/10 scale truck was a Traxxas Son-uva Digger, which was fun, but this is certainly better. I think my favorite part was watching it plow through fallen leaves, like a miniature rhinoceros.

For starting out, I'm running 13/54 gearing, and a 2S LiPo, and the motor never got too hot to hold. I don't have any intention to go higher voltage, as I was quite content with the initial performance.

Nice job, very clean!

Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Been awhile since I updated this thread, yet my P4de has undergone a few changes, and will probably continue to do so. After a recent run at a park, I decided I don't enjoy the performance of the short wheelbase setup, and, since I have the necessary parts already, have decided to convert to a Slash 4x4 HCG. It'll probably be a sort of MT or Trail basher, having a sensored brushless combo. We'll see!

As a side note, those green wheels in the attached pics were from a Chinese eBay store. They come in an unglued state, so you have to glue them before running. I figured for the low price, they were worth the risk, and I ended up being impressed with the quality of the rubber. They have a sort of "Yokohama Geolandar" tread, and the rubber is pretty soft and sticky; softer than the licensed HPI Geolandar 2.2 tires.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Been awhile since I updated this thread, yet my P4de has undergone a few changes, and will probably continue to do so. After a recent run at a park, I decided I don't enjoy the performance of the short wheelbase setup, and, since I have the necessary parts already, have decided to convert to a Slash 4x4 HCG. It'll probably be a sort of MT or Trail basher, having a sensored brushless combo. We'll see!

As a side note, those green wheels in the attached pics were from a Chinese eBay store. They come in an unglued state, so you have to glue them before running. I figured for the low price, they were worth the risk, and I ended up being impressed with the quality of the rubber. They have a sort of "Yokohama Geolandar" tread, and the rubber is pretty soft and sticky; softer than the licensed HPI Geolandar 2.2 tires.

What body will you run with the longer wheel base. That has stopped me from doing something similar because I don't like the SC bodies

I was planning on starting with my old Axial Deadbolt body, which was previously on my Slash 2WD chassis (which is going to become my daughter's Christmas present). Eventually, if I like the setup, I'll get a Pro-Line Baja Bug body, because I really like those builds.
    I think there are quite a few body options available for the Slash 4x4 chassis, especially since it's wheelbase is really close to some popular crawler platforms.

Last edited by rcdabbler; 12-05-2017 at 05:28 PM.

Nice looking rig ! Personally i like the Baja body much more than the bulldog. I bought the bulldog body thinking I would like it. Has been in the scrap bin for 6 months. Always nice to see a new build. I call it build cause sometimes you need to build to get thing's to work. Love it! Put the Baja body back on........
    Choose Life !!!

Yeah, not a lot of love for the Bulldog body. I thought I would lke it, but it’s just weird. That blue Baja body is actually a weak plastic, and wouldn’t stand up to much bashing, but it did look cool.

Recently, I had been looking at the Ford Fiesta 1/10 Rally, thinking I might get one and sell off the XL-5 electronics, but now my thinking has changed, and it seems I’ll better enjoy converting my P4de to a Slash 4x4 LCG, to be a companion road basher to my older Slash Platinum/Rally. I won’t turn it another identical Rally, but will first use my orange Dakar Rally body, which was previously on my 2WD LCG chassis. That 2WD LCG was mostly kept on-road, and I enjoyed it that way, so this’ll be even better.

RC poster
    awesome trucks

Yeah I really do like the Baja body on the p4de. Looks Awesome I think..... If you are still out and about maybe you can tell me where your attachment points are. Would love to get one........
    Last edited by lektro; 01-13-2018 at 05:04 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

Update:

Got a little motivation to upgrade the motor & esc on my P4de, and decided to use a Castle 1415 2400KV sensored motor, paired with a brand new Castle MMP, which I had purchased over a year ago. The MMP handles sensored motors, though not as smoothly as the newer Mamba X. This is for bashing, however, so the difference is irrelevant.

I performed the typical chassis modification, using my trusty Dremel tool, but ran into difficulty trying to mount the MMP. There was room for it, but I needed some sort of platform to get it above left end of the Servo mount. What I came up with (possibly similar to what others have done) was to cut a piece of foam from a pack of Traxxas aluminum shock caps, cut a piece from a styrene dvd case, then Shoe-Goo the pieces together and into the small slot available in the chassis, providing me a non-porous surface to stick my esc to, using double-stick tape. Unfortunately, the tape wasn't strong enough to withstand a few jumps I made over the weekend, so I'm going to find some industrial velcro. One other disadvantage to this mod, is that the sensor port on the back of the motor is blocked, preventing me from swapping out to a shorter sensor cable, which I desired to do, after gluing the mount down.

Here's a video I shot on Friday, while visiting some friends in Quincy, WA, halfway across the state.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Update:

Got a little motivation to upgrade the motor & esc on my P4de, and decided to use a Castle 1415 2400KV sensored motor, paired with a brand new Castle MMP, which I had purchased over a year ago. The MMP handles sensored motors, though not as smoothly as the newer Mamba X. This is for bashing, however, so the difference is irrelevant.

I performed the typical chassis modification, using my trusty Dremel tool, but ran into difficulty trying to mount the MMP. There was room for it, but I needed some sort of platform to get it above left end of the Servo mount. What I came up with (possibly similar to what others have done) was to cut a piece of foam from a pack of Traxxas aluminum shock caps, cut a piece from a styrene dvd case, then Shoe-Goo the pieces together and into the small slot available in the chassis, providing me a non-porous surface to stick my esc to, using double-stick tape. Unfortunately, the tape wasn't strong enough to withstand a few jumps I made over the weekend, so I'm going to find some industrial velcro. One other disadvantage to this mod, is that the sensor port on the back of the motor is blocked, preventing me from swapping out to a shorter sensor cable, which I desired to do, after gluing the mount down.

Here's a video I shot on Friday, while visiting some friends in Quincy, WA, halfway across the state.

Still like this iteration of your ride. She cooking now

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Still like this iteration of your ride. She cooking now
    Thanks. It sort of looks like an eRevo with that bulldog body, which is kind of cool, but, because itís mounted so low, it often hinders a proper rollover, and gets stuck on its lid. That 2400KV is just right for my driving. Man, talk about hill climbing torque! I went and tackled some hills at a local park, yesterday, and had a blast. Iíll post the video I made in the video section, once I get it edited.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks. It sort of looks like an eRevo with that bulldog body, which is kind of cool, but, because itís mounted so low, it often hinders a proper rollover, and gets stuck on its lid. That 2400KV is just right for my driving. Man, talk about hill climbing torque! I went and tackled some hills at a local park, yesterday, and had a blast. Iíll post the video I made in the video section, once I get it edited.
    Iím running a 2600kv motor and HW SC8 in mine. Standing backflips are no problem, I can actually do 1.5 turns. The force of the shocks can make the axles come out of the cups.
    Looking forward to the video. The P4de is a great little truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I’m running a 2600kv motor and HW SC8 in mine. Standing backflips are no problem, I can actually do 1.5 turns. The force of the shocks can make the axles come out of the cups.
    Looking forward to the video. The P4de is a great little truck.
    That sounds pretty punchy! I'm liking this truck more, now with the added power. I have GTS shocks in the rear, and will have the fronts upgraded to GTS in the near future. Once my axles snap, I'll upgrade to MIP's. If I grow tired of the short wheelbase, I have an LCG Slash 4x4 upgrade kit standing by.

Got the video posted up.