RC Enthusiast

1/16 eRevo ESC Troubleshooting

Hello,
    On my brushless VXL3s ESC the light stopped working after I messed with the channels trying to put in dual servos.
    After a short run the steering and motor were working, but the motor started sputtering (if that is a thing for electric motors) and the light on the ESC intermittently flashed until there was nothing, no movement or light.

I have tried resetting everything, but I suspect I am missing something or out of order when I try reset. Anyone have the order to do a complete reset? (Example:Pair ESC and Reciever first? Then Transmitter and receiver?, then calibrate controls?)
    I am sure this has happened to someone before, I would appreciate any advice or a pointer in the right direction to the right thread.
    Again, I suspect I had the wrong channels after i put it back together, but it did drive for a little bit before dying, so I am at a loss

Did you plug in the servo and motor corectly? Also mabye some water pased he seal or to much voltage?

I would start with unplugging both servos and see if one of those cause the problems by trying them one by one.
    First two slots (both channel 1) are for servos, slot 3 (channel 2) is for the ESC.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    I cant say if I orignally had the servo and ESC plugged in properly after i tried, but it did drive, and it is plugged in properly now. Is it likely that plugging into the wrong slots could FRY the ESC?
    I dont think its too much voltage I was using 1 - 2cell lipo battery.
    I was driving through some deep puddles but I would have expected it to be more waterproof. I drove my original motor and ESC into a lake (submerged it) and it was fine.

Since no light comes on, on the ESC I suspect its fried. I do find it strange how power still gets to the reciever (reciever lights on and steering works), something I dont understand.
    I am going to do some research on a replacment ESC, I am hoping to find a cheaper option than a new TRAXXAS one because they cost $150 where I am from, and I am just assuming thats the problem. Any tips on what ESC is compatible with my Velinon Brushless motor would be appreciated and time saving for me.
    Thanks for your replys.
    PS: I am considering a cheap flysky reciever and transmitter from the Ebay, I might get that first and see if its a receiver issue.

RC Enthusiast
    OK, alot going on in my last post.
    Basically now I am looking for an ESC to run my: Traxxas 3371 Velineon Mini Maxx 380 Brushless Motor.
    Anyway I can do this on the cheap? AM Part Numbers? This is a 1/16 ERevo.

Edit: Junsi Brushless Sensorless Motor Waterproof QuicRun ESC WP-16BL30 for 1/16 1/18 Car
    I have found this one on amazon, Might try ordering in on payday.
    Last edited by 250Greenmachine; 11-09-2016 at 02:50 PM.

You won't fry the ESC when you put it into a different slot. A faulty servo that is plugged in might cause your ESC to show weird behaviour. Did you try the ESC while having no servo plugged in?

That Junsi ESC might be on the weak end to power you Merv. Castle Sidewinder 3 is a great replacement for the stock ESC.

RC Enthusiast
    I did try without either servos hooked up. Sorry I should have said that I thought I did.
    Thanks for the info on the Sidewinder 3 I will seriously consider that, its just about half the cost, I like the on off switch, and I can spice my battery leads easy enough. The internet said my velineon motor has 3.5mm bullet connectors and the sidewinder 3 has 4mm connectors so I might have to change those.
    Now it is just up to me to decide if I want to risk buying another short lived VXL-3m or a Sidewinder 3 that is not waterproof but more affordable.
    Again, really appreciate the help it saves me time and money learning about options here.
    Last edited by 250Greenmachine; 11-10-2016 at 12:25 PM.

I expected you tried it, but just had to ask to be sure. No problem about that.

Sidewinder 3 is waterproof. It can handle more powerful motors than the VXL-3m and it has more options that you can configure. I have it in my Merv (combo with a Castle 1406-4600Kv motor). Works great.

RC Enthusiast
    Yup, the ESC must have just fried
    OK I missed the part where its waterproof, I will likely just order it up and get it done. I will update on how smooth the install goes(for us that are new to RC). Will just have to wait a bit now.

Ok. Good luck with that.

Another tip: Don't go for a double servo setup but get a stronger single servo like the Bluebird 390DMH. I have that one in both my 1/16 cars and never had an issue with them. Stronger, faster and most important way more durable.

RC Champion
    If you want to stay waterproof, the savox 0250MG is another servo option. Costs a bit more but it's a bit faster too, and more importantly, waterproof. Tourque is a tiny bit lower on the savox vs bluebird, but either one is way stronger than stock.
    Dacaur

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the servo tips. I went with dual traxxas because I had no idea to many aftermarket options. Wishing I had a metal servo, and waterproof. It is important for my style of...driving.
    Ordering the sidewinder 3 ESC today, hoping for an easy install. I think I am going to hold off on getting the 4mm connectors because I cant solder very well and dont want to damage the expensive electronics (motor).

I am hoping the 3.5mm and 4mm bullet connectors will work together good enough. Any recommendations there would be appreciated too. Thanks again, I have already learned alot and will soon have a mean RC.

3.5 and 4mm simple don't connect. There is one advantage of not being able to solder very well: you can learn to do it better.
    If you want waterproof and metal gear: Savox is the way to go.

RC Champion
    If you do t want to solder, you need an adapter.
    CjwKEAiA3qXBBRD4_b_V7ZLFsX4SJAB0AtEVHwPhMQVXBeixN-Vxdu461WNmxLbdIOCHA2yA4QpeCBoCynDw_wcB

But soldering isn't all that hard really. Watch a few YouTube vids and go for it...
    Dacaur

RC Enthusiast
    Seriously you guys rock. Super fast replies. I will look into getting an adapter actually because it saves me from soldering and re heat shrinking, and its only a couple bucks more. I considered crimping the ends on, but as it turns out this is much more delicate that what im used to.

I am also ordering a flysky receiver and transmitter with this batch of stuff. I cant wait to get going again.

I second the savox got one and its super fast and responsive it does turn the opposite direction of the traxxas servo but all you have to do is hold down the set on you controller button for 2 seconds or until the light starts flshing then turn the wheel fully to one side doesnt matter witch side then press the set button amd your good to go

RC Enthusiast
    would you be so kind as to post a couple pics of the sidewinder installed?
    i would so greatly appreciate it!

thankies and good luck!
    can't wait for u to get back on them wheels again

RC Enthusiast
    Stay tuned, I should be able to post pictures. Please be patient as I will be lucky to get the parts by this weekend. Good to know all the details on that savox servo I could see that being an upgrade soon as I know my servos are not set correctly and will wear out soon.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, so sidewinder came in. It did not have battery ends which was OK because I was able to solder the ones I need on. It also did not come with, to my surprise, any wires for the ESC to the motor. I had ordered 4mm to 3.5mm adapters (4mm female on sidewinder and 3.5mm male on VXL motor), and was able to use those and the existing motor wires to make a connection. That was enough for me to test the ESC and it all worked really good.
    The sidewinder has an on/off switch that I taped into the rear bumper. Temporary/permanent.

After going to the store to buy a real soldering iron, solder, 16gauge wire and some shrink tube and some double sided tape, I came home and finished wiring the ESC to the motor, allowing me to mount it where the existing ESC went. I just used double sided tape to build up past the tabs for the old smaller ESC, and mounted the new Larger ESC in place of the old one.
    I will try be descriptive here, the adapters that I bought it add a lot of height for the 3 ESC wires, which stopped me from mounting it sideways(protruded past the body side), but I have a tall grave digger body so I mounted it facing normal upright, the wires are not in the way but the ESC hangs out atleast a CM on the side, and that’s touching the motor already.
    I still plan on doing some tweaking. In the future I would have ordered the 4mm bullet ends from the start because they are better, I had to solder anyways, and it saves so much room. I am planning on remounting sideways, or on the back body supports, but for now it is driving again, and plays good in the snow.

SO I apologize because this forum does not allow me to easily post pictures, even tho I took a bunch for this reason. If your really interested send me a PM and I can email some pictures of how it overhangs, and of what parts I used.

Good to hear you rig drives again. When you can share your pictures somewhere online, you should be able to post them quite easily. I use Google to store the pics I want to share. What I do is right click on the (online stored) pic and copy the link to it. Then you can use the img tags (the button wit the tree on it) around it to share them in your posts.

RC Enthusiast
    Petertje, Thank you all of this would not have happened if not for you. I am hooked on this now.

shows the ESC overhang

This last pic is an alternative moutning place I might use if I can find a good way to do it.

I dont see any little Tree buttons, but used the [img ]INSERT[ /img] and it seemed to have some effect, but did not post right to this site. RIGHT clicking on the broken thing seemed to work on the computer, but not on my phone. Hope this helps, although not as smooth as i had imagined.
    Goodluck everyone.
    Last edited by 250Greenmachine; 11-21-2016 at 06:46 PM.

You're almost there. When you are looking at the picture on the Google page, right click on the picture and copy the address of it.
    Then go to the forum and while typing or editing your post, chose the Insert Image button:

Paste the address in the text box that appears.
    That should work and make the picture visible after your save your reply or edit like this:

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks. That picture shows the ESC overhanging from the body, which is no big deal to me. It also shows the 3 adapters plugged into the ESC, they add close to an inch, so I would recomend buying the 4mm bullet males (and 3.5mm females for the traxxas motor) connectors instead to save space. In my posting permission is says: I may not post attachments. Image code is on, but HTML code is off. I guess thats why I can see but cant post the pics. I cant even see that box with the tree or how to change font size at all.

All members have the ability to post photos using a third-party photo hosting site. Picture Posting Tutorial
    So long as the photo is taken in landscape mode, the forum will resize it down to the maximum allowable size. No additional effort on the member's part is required.

No member can post attachments.

To see the formatting toolbar, you need to edit the General Settings in your Profile.
    In "Miscellaneous Options" under "Message Editor Interface:" you will find two options:
    Basic Editor - A simple text box
    Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

Choose the radio button for the Standard Editor.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-23-2016 at 12:30 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast

RC Enthusiast

Alright COOL! So this picture shows how I was able to test the ESC using the short stock VXL motor wires and the 4mm-3.5mm adapters. Longer wires were added to mount in its original spot.

RC Enthusiast
    I just read the rules on posting about aftermarket stuff. Looks like its pretty much forbidden to talk about other products so an admin should delete this because this is not a TRAXXAS product. What a joke