RC Enthusiast

Unhappy Hobbywing vs. Castle vs. Tenshock COMBO

So I have a 5.2 lb (heavy) slash 2wd with all metal upgrades except the chassis. It is quite heavy and my 60 amp esc burned a hole through itself yesterday. I currently have a 5200kv motor in there (I know it's a high kv) and the motor overheats because it's pushing such a heavy car on 3s/2s. So I am looking for a inexpensive yet quality and reliable combo and have narrowed it down between:

-Hobbywing WP SC8 ESC with either the

- Hobbywing/Leopard 3400kv motor
    - Castle Creations 3800kv motor
    -Tenshock SC401V2 3400/3800kv (comes in 2 KV options) motor.

So I am not sure which of the 2 kv's to get and which motor to get keeping in mind that I really need to avoid heat with this heavy car while still having a manageable car to drive. Also it is important to note that I will be driving it on both 3s and 2s on grass, street, and some dirt.

I know it all depends on gearing but I at least want 40 mph out of my rig.

pictures of combos
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytqapc33eq...400kv.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndyml8u2gq...pture.PNG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndyml8u2gq...pture.PNG?dl=0

RC Qualifier
    I have both the Tenshock motors you mentioned, plus a couple.
    I say with my experience (lots of electronics and trucks) my 3800kv Tenshock was perfect on 2s. If you want 3s go with the 3400kv.
    Their motors are top shelf, I also own Castle products too.
    I really like having lower kv motors and gearing them alittle higher, it's easier on the motor.

I am not a fan boy for any manufacturer besides Traxxas.
    The Tenshock 3800kv was in my 4wd and it was fantastic, torque and speed But the 2wd with that motor would be greater. I'm speaking on 2s.

I vote the hobbywing sc8 and the Tenshock 3400kv. It has PLENTY of power for your heavy 2wd if you regularly use 3s. If you use 2s go 3800kv. The 3800kv in my 6.6lb 4wd would get too hot on 3s unless I used an 11 tooth pinion.

I have a sensored Tenshock 4000kv in my Rustler and on 2s it's over 40mph easily. Up to 50mph. I use 17mm hexes on everything.
    The Tenshock motors are amp hogs and I was stripping out the 12mm hexes.
    I keep all my motors under 150 degrees, if they get to 155 I'm upset. If you never get your motor too hot in theory it will last forever, (in theory). That said I still use my over 3 year old 3800kv Tenshock. It has too much torque for the xxxt I put it in. Too much for a few trucks I put it in.
    The 2wd Slash...Perfect truck for it. I just read you run alot of grass.... Oops should have read it all. Go 3400kv. You won't regret it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I wanted to add, I keep an eye on my bearings in the motor, it's the only thing you can service on a brushless motor so I suggest getting Boca hybrid bearings.
    I run the motors stock bearings for a few months, then I pull them and put in the hybrids (or at least replace with a quality abec 3 or 5).
    I think the hybrids with ceramic balls are totally worth the $24. From boca, they ship free to the U.S.

I never would have gotten the 3800kv for my 4wd now that I know alittle more. The 3400kv since you said "heavy" and "grass".

My son's 2wd has the Vanguard 3150kv and it's a beast on 2s it doesn't get 115 degrees on the grass for a full pack.
    Same gearing with me driving 3s is WOW fast and wheelie city.then it gets to 150 degrees.

RC Qualifier
    What kind of drive axles do you have? I think if you Get traction the plastic Ones WILL break.

Put that thing on a diet by the way. Lol

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Slashdad View Post
    What kind of drive axles do you have? I think if you Get traction the plastic Ones WILL break.

Put that thing on a diet by the way. Lol

I have stock axles but metal drive cups/yolks
    http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5827af4a...06_200450.jpg?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I haven't broken the stock driveshafts on 2s/3s woth my 60a 5200kv yet. That will be the last part of the truck to make the entire thing metal excluding the chassis lol

RC Enthusiast
    I wanted to add, I keep an eye on my bearings in the motor, it's the only thing you can service on a brushless motor so I suggest getting Boca hybrid bearings.
    I run the motors stock bearings for a few months, then I pull them and put in the hybrids (or at least replace with a quality abec 3 or 5).
    I think the hybrids with ceramic balls are totally worth the $24. From boca, they ship free to the U.S.

I never would have gotten the 3800kv for my 4wd now that I know alittle more. The 3400kv since you said "heavy" and "grass".

My son's 2wd has the Vanguard 3150kv and it's a beast on 2s it doesn't get 115 degrees on the grass for a full pack.
    Same gearing with me driving 3s is WOW fast and wheelie city.then it gets to 150 degrees.

Thanks for the reply, it helps A LOT.
    How is the 3400kv on 2s witg say stock gearing for the slash? Right now im running stock pinion and 91t spur and the car with the 5100kv motor has no torque but good top end (even though it gets up to 140f on 2s and 210f on 3s (lol)

Too much heat haha

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Superducky View Post
    Thanks for the reply, it helps A LOT.
    How is the 3400kv on 2s witg say stock gearing for the slash? Right now im running stock pinion and 91t spur and the car with the 5100kv motor has no torque but good top end (even though it gets up to 140f on 2s and 210f on 3s (lol)

Too much heat haha

You can count on that (5100)motor being way too hot....it demagnitizes the rotor, which makes it run hotter than it would if new.

The 3400kv is faster than the Velenion, not on paper but it has more torque. Tenshock was the first to make 6 pole motors they were into boat motors first and then started making car and truck motors. I have a couple 8th scale 6 pole motors for my 4wd Slash and a 8th buggy. WOWZERS is my review.

Sell that 5100kv to an onroad guy...

On 2s the 3400 is fast enough to hit 40mph for sure and not be dangerously hot. Your using short course wheels n tires?

I suggest changing to 32 pitch gears. The teeth are thicker/more durable.
    My 2wd is not "heavy" but I have 8th scale buggy wheels or Stampede size MT wheels and with the 3400kv in it I gear it 15 or 16 pinion and 56 spur. It's plenty fast on 2s.

There is a site you can google: scriptasylum. It will offer you rc top speed calculations simply by adding in your data, motor kv, tire diameter, battery ,gearing, etc. Check that out tonight.
    If you keep your 48 pitch gears start with a ratio of 4 to 1 for a starting point.
    Do you have pinions with 5mm bore?

Hobbywing vs. Castle vs. Tenshock COMBO

I'm running a copy of the slash 2wd
    3800 3s 20/86 and it flies. I've played with my shocks and it runs straight and beastly fast, need major punch to keep it on 4 wheels stays at 130 degrees

Hang up and Drive
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    You can count on that (5100)motor being way too hot....it demagnitizes the rotor, which makes it run hotter than it would if new.

The 3400kv is faster than the Velenion, not on paper but it has more torque. Tenshock was the first to make 6 pole motors they were into boat motors first and then started making car and truck motors. I have a couple 8th scale 6 pole motors for my 4wd Slash and a 8th buggy. WOWZERS is my review.

Sell that 5100kv to an onroad guy...

On 2s the 3400 is fast enough to hit 40mph for sure and not be dangerously hot. Your using short course wheels n tires?

I suggest changing to 32 pitch gears. The teeth are thicker/more durable.
    My 2wd is not "heavy" but I have 8th scale buggy wheels or Stampede size MT wheels and with the 3400kv in it I gear it 15 or 16 pinion and 56 spur. It's plenty fast on 2s.

There is a site you can google: scriptasylum. It will offer you rc top speed calculations simply by adding in your data, motor kv, tire diameter, battery ,gearing, etc. Check that out tonight.
    If you keep your 48 pitch gears start with a ratio of 4 to 1 for a starting point.
    Do you have pinions with 5mm bore?

Yes I have Trencher X's, the wider tires which changes by gearing from stock because of the larger diameter. No I have the stock pinions. The new motor will need different pinions for 5mm, larger rotor shaft.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMcE View Post
    I'm running a copy of the slash 2wd
    3800 3s 20/86 and it flies. I've played with my shocks and it runs straight and beastly fast, need major punch to keep it on 4 wheels stays at 130 degrees

Hang up and Drive
    Very nice! Is that a NEU castle creations 3800?

Yessir ..... I'm very happy with the whole rig. My servo is overkill, but plays nice

Hang up and Drive
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    Yessir ..... I'm very happy with the whole rig. My servo is overkill, but plays nice

Hang up and Drive
    😂😂 haha yeah I noticed the savox servo lol

RC Qualifier
    Looks very nice!THAT WHOLE Setup Is great!
    I think it's outfitted very well. That servo isn't OVERKILL in my opinion, I hate when my wheels won't turn all the way if it's sitting still in the grass, that's kinda my measurement of if a servo is strong enough.

Looks very nice!THAT WHOLE Setup Is great!
    I think it's outfitted very well. That servo isn't OVERKILL in my opinion, I hate when my wheels won't turn all the way if it's sitting still in the grass, that's kinda my measurement of if a servo is strong enough.

Thanks, I do agree about lack of full turning. I ran three other servos in this rig, this one does turn without any effort. All I know is this truck finally works well.

Hang up and Drive
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

I thought of the 32p gears as I run them in my slash 2wd, but with this transmission I really haven't had any failures ..... I'm a bit surprised by it, but it is stout.
    PROLINE HD

Hang up and Drive
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I thought of the 32p gears as I run them in my slash 2wd, but with this transmission I really haven't had any failures ..... I'm a bit surprised by it, but it is stout.
    PROLINE HD

Hang up and Drive
    I didn't realize it was the Proline trans.
    As long as mesh is good I think 48 pitch will be fine.

RC Enthusiast
    Alright I pulled the trigger. I bought the:
    -Tenshock 3400kv brushless motor with a 5mm shaft
    -Hobbywing WP SC8 ESC
    -Robinson Racing "Six Pack" pinion set 48p 1/8" bore

And will be running it with
    -2s 5000mah 50c lipo
    -3s 5000mah 50c lipo

Hope the car will really wake up with this set

RC poster
    -Hobbywing WP SC8 ESC

-2s 5000mah 50c lipo
    -3s 5000mah 50c lipo

Look forward to hearing how it goes together and how works. I'm thinking about doing the same thing!

RC Enthusiast
    I am going to do a full on review and installation video letting everybody know how it goes since there isn't a lot of information out there. Ive heard nothing but good things about the WP SC8 and the Tenshock motors. Will let you guys know how it goes.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadajim View Post
    Look forward to hearing how it goes together and how works. I'm thinking about doing the same thing!
    I am going to do a full on review and installation video letting everybody know how it goes since there isn't a lot of information out there. Ive heard nothing but good things about the WP SC8 and the Tenshock motors. Will let you guys know how it goes.

RC Qualifier
    -Hobbywing WP SC8 ESC

-2s 5000mah 50c lipo
    -3s 5000mah 50c lipo

Superducky those pinions have to be 5mm. 1/8 bore is the smaller size. I wish I read this sooner. (I could be mistaken) but I think those are 3.18mm or close to that.

I really like my Tenshocks, I have a collection of them. You will be happy with that whole combo. Love that esc too

RC Enthusiast
    Superducky those pinions have to be 5mm. 1/8 bore is the smaller size. I wish I read this sooner. (I could be mistaken) but I think those are 3.18mm or close to that.

I really like my Tenshocks, I have a collection of them. You will be happy with that whole combo. Love that esc too

I don't think so, because they worked for me. Maybe I ordered something different than 1/8 bore?

But all I can say is WOW! INSANE POWER AND TORQUE with this combo. Loving the quality of the SC8 and the tenshock has crazy amounts of power. j love it!

RC Qualifier
    I don't think so, because they worked for me. Maybe I ordered something different than 1/8 bore?

But all I can say is WOW! INSANE POWER AND TORQUE with this combo. Loving the quality of the SC8 and the tenshock has crazy amounts of power. j love it!

Great! Yeah that's a great combo.

i have been looking at brushless combos for my rustler
    i am probably going to pick up the same setup as you!
    how fast will i got with the sc8 and the 3400kv tenshock??
    https://www.dollarhobbyz.com/collect...rushless-motor
    i just found this? it is crazy cheap, what is the peformance like?
    Last edited by Amistry20; 08-27-2017 at 05:27 AM.