RC poster

looking at rcs to get

So i know this may not be the right place, but is the Traxxas Slash 4x4 good? are you able to drive it though mud,water creeks (abit over the top,but you get the point). can it go basically where ever you like? and would it be best getting a new or second hand one? are they great for bashing,racing, and having fun? And please note any problems you have had from normal driving,jumping,going though water ect, and mention what caused those problems, thanks in advance

RC Enthusiast
    Traxxas slash's are not your cheap RC's that you can buy at Toys R Us. They are one of the most durable RC's out there and they've been making em since the 90s. That being said it can go over creeks and mud etc since its waterproof but you do need to rinse it off with clean water after youre done.

Also, the traxxas slash 4wd is best with a velineon motor with some lipo batteries since it has more power with a brushless motor.

It would be better to get it used since if you buy it new you would have to get the blue velineon motor version and lipos and other things so if you can save on the car a bit, you have more money for extra parts like a-arms, caster blocks, and other parts which are known to break.

Otherwise a great overall truck and very fun

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Also these forums are very helpful and if you do get the slash and have any problems, there are a lot of experienced folks who can help you.

Happy bashing!

RC poster
    THanks and i have a feeling toys r us are mainly in America but where i am i think there's one in the town i live in and i'm not looking for the cheap toys that once they break chuck em. ill prefer break,fix,upgrade and o that all over again. and what would u recommend that's Traxxas brand since i'm new to Traxxas

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobodeman View Post
    THanks and i have a feeling toys r us are mainly in America but where i am i think there's one in the town i live in and i'm not looking for the cheap toys that once they break chuck em. ill prefer break,fix,upgrade and o that all over again. and what would u recommend that's Traxxas brand since i'm new to Traxxas
    I'd reccomend a slash or stampede. A stampede is a monster truck platform and does better off road but the slash is a good balance between off road and kn road. I'd take the slash any day of the week but if you're going to be off road 100% of the time the stampede is better. If youre doing 50/50 on road off road the slash is the way to go.

Trust me the Slash is an awesome rig. You can drop the thing in water and it'll still run. Really good rig and upgradable. (So is the stampede by the way).

RC Enthusiast
    Traxxas is a good brand overall but the Slash is where they hit a homerun. It's a really solid car that's really fun to drive.
    Here's a few pics of mine and I love it. I came from an ECX Torment and Traxxas just has way more parts available.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58282a27...016.23.33.jpg?

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58282a55...016.49.13.jpg?

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58282a81...06_200450.jpg?

RC Qualifier
    If durability is your biggest concern I suggest you get a 2wd Slash over the 4wd because it has less drivetrain parts and it is a little bit MORE tough than the 4wd. I have both, plus oth er Traxxas vehicles and the Slash 2wd has held up the best for me.

Both of my Slashes are my 2 favorites out of my collection.
    The 4wd can definitely drive through more crazy obstacles more easily. It's not like my 2wd is getting stuck or anything either. If you get either and mud or creeks is your thing I would suggest your first upgrade would be Monster Truck tires. The do help get through the gnarly stuff, and they look tough and cool.

Just remember that the more mess you put it through, the more you have to clean it up properly or all your bearings are going to be ruined.
    The Slash is the most popular and most versatile for a reason.
    You can change them into any type of rc you want.
    Monster truck to onroad car, anything in between. Parts are available more for these than any other company or model.

I suggest buying new unless you know about what problems to look for buying used. Unless you are trying to get it cheaper. I like to know if has only been through what I put it through. But I buy new and used myself

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

So i know this may not be the right place, but is the Traxxas Slash 4x4 good? are you able to drive it though mud,water creeks (abit over the top,but you get the point). can it go basically where ever you like? and would it be best getting a new or second hand one? are they great for bashing,racing, and having fun? And please note any problems you have had from normal driving,jumping,going though water ect, and mention what caused those problems, thanks in advance

The Slash 4WD is a good all-around RC. If you stay with 7-NiMH or 2S lipo you'll have a lot of fun with it. If you go to a 3S pack, you'll have to beef it up quite a bit. Durability: It is petty durable, but it does require maintenance and tuning. YOU WILL BREAK IT... Fast hobby-grade RCs are driven hard and do break, but everything on the truck is fixable and upgradeable.

You can do pretty much what you want with it, but if you run it through mud and water you will have to do more maintenance on it, and parts will fail faster, like bearings.

"Racing" is a relative term. Getting together with friends and 'racing' is a blast with this truck. But, it is built for durability, and therefore built like a tank. Because of this, on a track, against race-bred SCTs, it does not perform well at all, it is just too heavy. If there is a "Slash" class, or beginner class at your local track, this where you'll want to race. But, if you want to get more competitive, you'll need to dump a lot of time and money into the Slash, or get something else.

With all of that, it sounds like the Stampede 4WD might be more of what you are looking for. It has a higher stance, bigger wheels, and will perform better that the Slash in more extreme terrain.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Thanks, yeah ill be on road and off road

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Superducky View Post
    Traxxas is a good brand overall but the Slash is where they hit a homerun. It's a really solid car that's really fun to drive.
    Here's a few pics of mine and I love it. I came from an ECX Torment and Traxxas just has way more parts available.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58282a27...016.23.33.jpg?

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58282a55...016.49.13.jpg?

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58282a81...06_200450.jpg?

Nice, I see very spacious so u can add a few accessories in there,like and extra battery

RC Enthusiast
    Nice, I see very spacious so u can add a few accessories in there,like and extra battery
    Haha not for long planning on swotching to lcg.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    The Slash 4WD is a good all-around RC. If you stay with 7-NiMH or 2S lipo you'll have a lot of fun with it. If you go to a 3S pack, you'll have to beef it up quite a bit. Durability: It is petty durable, but it does require maintenance and tuning. YOU WILL BREAK IT... Fast hobby-grade RCs are driven hard and do break, but everything on the truck is fixable and upgradeable.

You can do pretty much what you want with it, but if you run it through mud and water you will have to do more maintenance on it, and parts will fail faster, like bearings.

"Racing" is a relative term. Getting together with friends and 'racing' is a blast with this truck. But, it is built for durability, and therefore built like a tank. Because of this, on a track, against race-bred SCTs, it does not perform well at all, it is just too heavy. If there is a "Slash" class, or beginner class at your local track, this where you'll want to race. But, if you want to get more competitive, you'll need to dump a lot of time and money into the Slash, or get something else.

With all of that, it sounds like the Stampede 4WD might be more of what you are looking for. It has a higher stance, bigger wheels, and will perform better that the Slash in more extreme terrain.
    Yeah thanks, here we dont have a track just yet but a bunch of people and I have been talking over the fb club page and theyve had meeting with council and where slowly making it

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Slashdad View Post
    If durability is your biggest concern I suggest you get a 2wd Slash over the 4wd because it has less drivetrain parts and it is a little bit MORE tough than the 4wd. I have both, plus oth er Traxxas vehicles and the Slash 2wd has held up the best for me.

Both of my Slashes are my 2 favorites out of my collection.
    The 4wd can definitely drive through more crazy obstacles more easily. It's not like my 2wd is getting stuck or anything either. If you get either and mud or creeks is your thing I would suggest your first upgrade would be Monster Truck tires. The do help get through the gnarly stuff, and they look tough and cool.

Just remember that the more mess you put it through, the more you have to clean it up properly or all your bearings are going to be ruined.
    The Slash is the most popular and most versatile for a reason.
    You can change them into any type of rc you want.
    Monster truck to onroad car, anything in between. Parts are available more for these than any other company or model.

I suggest buying new unless you know about what problems to look for buying used. Unless you are trying to get it cheaper. I like to know if has only been through what I put it through. But I buy new and used myself

Ok, so which has more grip? 2wd or 4wd? How easy does the 2wd do 4x4 stuff and what would u recommend for me? 2wd or 4wd and what scale

RC Qualifier
    Ok, so which has more grip? 2wd or 4wd? How easy does the 2wd do 4x4 stuff and what would u recommend for me? 2wd or 4wd and what scale
    Will 4 wheel drive of course has better grip it has 4 Wheels driving force. Space but for durability I would get a two-wheel drive and personally I don't like anything smaller than one-tenth scale everything else is too fragile 10th scale is the best to start with and I would suggest two wheel drive it's even more durable

They are two very different trucks, each offers a great experience, but there are things that the 2WD just isn't made to do. Also, this is no conversion from 2WD to 4WD (other than getting a roller and moving the electronics over), so if you are worried that the 2WD will not do what you want, then I'd recommend getting the 4WD.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    Ive had both slash 4x4 and 2wd and i personally prefer the 4x4. I dont beat the crap out of my truck but i havnt noticed any huge difference in durability. Other than the fact that the 4x4 just flat out has more parts to break. Traction is the deal breaker for me. My 4x4 can overcome things the 2wd couldnt even dream of. Also much easier to keep control of in high speed turns and or drifting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

So i know this may not be the right place, but is the Traxxas Slash 4x4 good? are you able to drive it though mud,water creeks (abit over the top,but you get the point). can it go basically where ever you like?
    I highly suggest a 4x4 if you think you'll desire to run it on any challenging off-road terrain. My first 1/10 scale hobby grade RC was a Stampede 2WD, and, although it was loads of fun, I wished I'd sprung for some kind of 4x4 monster truck or scale/crawler. Wait until later to get a 2WD, if you really want the experience. I currently have two 2WD Traxxas models, and enjoy them both, but I keep them on-road, or on mostly even ground. No one RC will do everything very well.

RC poster
    Thanks all, ill go for the 4x4 then ill to 2wd

RC poster
    Also wheres a good place to get a traxxas 4x4? Cheapest wise

RC Competitor
    I have a 2wd Slash and my son has a 4wd Slash. They are both very durable and extremely fun. There is a ton of upgrade/replacement parts for both. They can both take a decent beating, just don't do what my son did and set your controller down so my grandson can pick it up and drive it full speed into a metal fence. Even then the only damage was a bent aluminum drive line. We have both run ours through mud puddles, flipped them, rolled them etc. Neither of us (knock on wood) have had any problems that we could not fairly easily (and with the help of YouTube) couldn't fix. I would recommend either.