RC Enthusiast

Clicking and binding near rear diff

Hey guys, I've been out of the hobby for a while and I just recently returned, but I need your help.

I took my truck out for a run and the pinion and spur both stripped. When I replaced them, I found out that the transmission now makes a loud clicking noise and binds, it doesn't want to roll forward or backwards at all.

If I take the rear end off and roll it on the wheels, it rolls perfectly. If I roll the front wheels on the ground, it also rolls perfectly. But once I put the two ends together, it binds and clicks loudly. This is happening without the pinion touching the spur, and it sounds like it's coming from the spur or rear diff area but I can't tell for certain. Not coming from the front diff though.

So I took apart the rear diff and looked at all the gears, everything looked good, nothing stripped or chipped, no dirt or rocks either. I put it back together, but it's still clicking and binding when I put the two ends together.

Now I'm out of ideas. Anyone else experience this before? I'll be taking it to my LHS if I can't get this fixed in a couple days. Thanks.

How about the bearings in the slipper assembly or the motor mount? What about your slipper bearing adapter?
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

That is what I was thinking. A melted motor mount can cause what you are describing. Or check the bearing that the differential pinion rides in.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    If you take the front off but leave the back on with the slipper installed and roll it you will know if it's a motor mount or slipper issue

RC Competitor
    I second the bearing idea. When I was going through my rig I found the slipper bearing which seats in the spur gear was very gritty and didn't spin smoothly.
    Stampede 2wd VXL & Slash 2wd VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Just had the same problem yesterday, motor mount bearing was my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys. Decided to take a look at the bearings. Took off the rubber seal for the slipper clutch bearing and found out it was quite rusted. Then I tore apart the rear diff case and looked at the bearings inside there, same thing, they were rusty inside. Did I mention I've been out of the hobby for a few years? Seems my bearings decided to rust while my truck sat on the shelf for years.

Got some new bearings on order, hopefully that'll fix it.

That is an easy fix! I would get a full bearing kit and replace every bearing in the truck.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

^What he said!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein