Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Servo upgrade?

RC Qualifier

Servo upgrade?

After blowing up my SC size tires I am using a set of talons MT tires on 2.8" while I wait for my new 2.8 badlands. I've noticed the steering is not nearly as responsive with the larger tires and wheels. Is a higher torque servo the solution? What would be a good recommendation? Waterproof would be ideal but not a must.

RC Qualifier
    In my opinion, the Hitec D-Series servos. Which is their newest line of servos and are perfect for 4x4SCT, especially when using larger and heavier tires/rims. I use the D-945TW, Speed: 0.12 sec/60 and Torque: 250 oz-in at 6.0v. It is the best of both worlds with its fast speed and high torque. They are priced higher but can be found around $120. They are water resistant and use O-rings in the housing. They are also Coreless 32-bit, Titanium geared servos.

Hitec HS-7940TH, Speed: 0.07 sec/60 and Torque: 181 oz-in at 6.0v, around $100

Savox SC-1267MG, Speed: 0.11 sec/60 and Torque: 180 oz-in at 6.0v, around $80

Savox Waterproof SW-1211SG, Speed: 0.10 sec/60 and Torque: 208 oz-in at 6.0v, around $80

Savox Waterproof SW-1210SG, Speed: 0.15 sec/60 and Torque: 277 oz-in at 6.0v, around $80

Savox SC-1256TG, Speed: 0.15 sec/60 and Torque: 277 oz-in at 6.0v, around $65

Savox SC-1258TG Speed: 0.08 sec/60 and Torque: 166.6 oz-in at 6.0v. This is just a step up from stock tho, a tad better all-around. It is fast tho, but with larger tires it may not be to noticeable with the slightly lower torque rating. This is a very popular option and relatively inexpensive $60

Savox SC-0251MG, Speed: 0.18 sec/60 and Torque: 222 oz-in at 6.0v, around $30. May not be as fast but has great torque and is at a really good price.

In your case it may be best to stay at or below .15 sec speed and 180+ oz-in torque. I listed the more common known and popular ones.
    Last edited by BadAssRC; 11-16-2016 at 04:10 AM.
    Slash Ultimate, HW XR8 SCT Pro/3660 SD-G2 4300 KV

RC Qualifier
    Savox SC-1258TG Speed: 0.08 sec/60 and Torque: 166.6 oz-in at 6.0v. This is just a step up from stock tho, a tad better all-around. It is fast tho, but with larger tires it may not be to noticeable with the slightly lower torque rating. This is a very popular option and relatively inexpensive $60

I have this, and it's night and day difference from the stock servo in all ways.

RC poster
    I use the Savox 1230SG 500oz. Its overkill and in need of an ext. Bec. Its a beast. Never to worry about torque anymore and the same 25t as the traxxas 2075. For a hitec that I use in my RaceRusty I have a kimbrough servo saver that comes with a 23t 24t and 25t adapter.

Servo upgrade?

I can more than recommend the Power HD WP-23 servo in my Sl4sh.

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6290632

Torque = 23kgs
    Speed = 0.12
    Price = under $40

No BEC needed (glitch buster fitted anyway) oh and it's fully waterproof
    Seek forgiveness, not permission

Caveat lector!

Many great servos recommended above . I've had great service from both my Savox 1256 and my hitec 7954, both are big and power hungry so I always run a bec. I pay 70 on them, for 80 I love the Promodeler 420, simply my best and quietest servo

Hang up and Drive
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

I use the savox 1258 tg and it is amazing! Definitely a step up from stock.
    its not fun until something breaks

I would recommend the Hi-Tec 645mg servo. Not waterproof, but has loads of torque. Also metal gears. And for 30$, it's a steal. This thing has stepped it up for my Rustler. Not the quickest, not much faster than the 2075, but it has sooo much torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4 and Slash VXL owner

RC Qualifier
    The Hitec 645 is, in my opinion, not worth the upgrade in his case since he wants more Tq with the larger tires. The Traxxas 2075 specs are .17 speed and 125 oz-in Tq. The Hitec is .20 speed and 133 oz-in Tq. So its slower and has pretty much the same Tq. It is just Metal Geared.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Monkey View Post
    I can more than recommend the Power HD WP-23 servo in my Sl4sh.

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6290632

Torque = 23kgs
    Speed = 0.12
    Price = under $40

No BEC needed (glitch buster fitted anyway) oh and it's fully waterproof
    OK..so this can run without a BEC/glitchbuster? I want a little better than stock to turn my 2.8 Trenchers but don't want issues. I'm running a Hobbywing WP SC8 on 3s.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    OK..so this can run without a BEC/glitchbuster? I want a little better than stock to turn my 2.8 Trenchers but don't want issues. I'm running a Hobbywing WP SC8 on 3s.
    Dcuda69 do you have any lvc issues with your esc browning out? What do you have it set to?

Servo upgrade?

TBH I have only ever run with a glitch buster cap tucked away inside the rx box and they can be had for only $5.

I have no steering issues running 2.8s on revolver 3.2s (Trenchers or badlands). Oh and my esc is the HW MAX10-SCT

Another member, Oliver.agea, also went with the WP-23 and says he's really happy with them. Think he put them in his Revo and slash.

HTH
    Last edited by Spanner Monkey; 11-19-2016 at 05:38 AM.

Caveat lector!

Quote Originally Posted by oldscool View Post
    Dcuda69 do you have any lvc issues with your esc browning out? What do you have it set to?
    I've never had any issues with lvc or brown outs. I have not changed the lvc on the esc so it's set to whatever default is? I use telemetry and only run my packs to nominal voltage(11.1) then pull them out. That's what led to my servo question....I know these Trenchers will eventually kill my 2075 so I'm researching replacements and don't really want to mess with glitch buster or caps.

Edit: So I see GoNitro Hobbies sells the Savox SC-0251MG with a glitchbuster...so 3 more questions. It says this is larger than standard size, does it fit without mods? It's 25t, will my horn fit or?? Is it waterproof...an absolute must for me. Thanks!!
    Last edited by Dcuda69; 11-19-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

I've run savox 0231 and 0251 , burned both up and went back to the 2075..... not sure why, but unless you go up to 300oz you don't really notice any difference, used a savox 1256tg with a bec, no real advantage , but centered quicker, as I bash No big deal to me

Hang up and Drive
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I agree somewhat with you Mike, But I didn't really notice a major difference under 200oz. I went to 250 oz-in with .12 speed and it was a major difference.

TBH I have only ever run with a glitch buster cap tucked away inside the rx box and they can be had for only $5.

I have no steering issues running 2.8s on revolver 3.2s (Trenchers or badlands). Oh and my esc is the HW MAX10-SCT

Another member, Oliver.agea, also went with the WP-23 and says he's really happy with them. Think he put them in his Revo and slash.

HTH
    OK ...I dug a little deeper into this and I'm liking this option...thanks Spanner Monkey

Power HD WaterproofTorque(6.6V): 23.0 kg-cm (319.4 oz/in)
    Speed: 0.14 sec (4.8V) │ 0.12 sec (6.6V)

Is this a drop in replacement that will work with my existing servo saver(stock)/horn and will it work without a bec/glitchbuster? if I need a glitchbuster does anyone have a link to a plug in that works with my stock receiver? Thanks guys/gals!!
    Last edited by Dcuda69; 11-19-2016 at 11:33 PM.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    As long as it is a 25T it will work with the stock Servo horn.

I would honestly use a Castle 10amp BEC over a glitch buster. A Glitch Buster is more of a bandaid and I have heard issues with those as well, it may not be common but just my opinion.

HTH
    Thats is correct sir! I bought 2 power hd 23kg servos. My first idea was to install both of them on my e-revo brushless 1/8. But while it arrived, i went out and bought a e-maxx brushless 1/8! I ran the stock servos on it for a couple of days until my power hd servos arrived. As i said my plan was to put both of them in since the emaxx has huge 3.8" tires, but i was surprised.... One was more than enought to power my e-maxx without bec or glitch buster. I now have another spare im thinking of putting in my erevo which is currently under surgery . Im eventually going to get a 3rd servo for my slash just dont have the time to run my rc's right now . Hope this was helpful

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    | Slash 4x4 | Stampede 4x4 | E-Revo BL | RPM |

OK ...I dug a little deeper into this and I'm liking this option...thanks Spanner Monkey

Power HD WaterproofTorque(6.6V): 23.0 kg-cm (319.4 oz/in)
    Speed: 0.14 sec (4.8V) │ 0.12 sec (6.6V)

Is this a drop in replacement that will work with my existing servo saver(stock)/horn and will it work without a bec/glitchbuster? if I need a glitchbuster does anyone have a link to a plug in that works with my stock receiver? Thanks guys/gals!!
    Yes, it is direct fit. No need of another servo horn or anything. If somehow the stock servo wont fit or it wears out because of the torq of the servo, the servo comes with many servo horns so you wont need to buy anything else. And no, you wont need any bec or glitch buster

| Slash 4x4 | Stampede 4x4 | E-Revo BL | RPM |

Servo upgrade?

Glitch busters are merely a capacitor, that will hold a bit of power, get a bec

Hang up and Drive
    Last edited by MikeMcE; 11-20-2016 at 08:11 AM.
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMcE View Post
    Glitch busters are merely a capacitor, that will hold a bit of power, get a bec

Hang up and Drive

Hang up and Drive
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by traxxasvxlbasher View Post
    Yes, it is direct fit. No need of another servo horn or anything. If somehow the stock servo wont fit or it wears out because of the torq of the servo, the servo comes with many servo horns so you wont need to buy anything else. And no, you wont need any bec or glitch buster

Thanks for the info. Are you using the stock esc or something else? Mike McE are you using a Castle esc or ?? I have heard the CC esc bec is not the best? Still a little confused and Oldscool I apologize if I have muddied up your thread. Seems some are just fine without a glitchbuster or bec,some are OK with a glitchbuster and some seem to need a bec?? I really like the specs/price of that PowerHD but I want to make sure it won't cause issues. I would rather like to avoid wiring in a bec but if needed that's what'll happen. Would much prefer plug and play. Thanks!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Servo upgrade?

The Power HD WP-23 definitely does not need a BEC. I initially ran mine with a MMP & a glitch buster only.

From the info above it looks like it also runs fine without a glitch buster cap, however I personally fit a glitch buster cap by default on all my RC's as for only $5 I'd rather have one than not lol. Hence I've never run any of my servos without one.

When I was looking for a new servo my wish list was:

Torque over 200 oz-in (15kg-cm min)
    Faster than the 2075 (0.15 sec max)
    Waterproof
    Metal geared
    Must not need a BEC
    under $50

I'm really happy with the WP-23 as it exceeds my expectations and turns the 2.8's with speed and authority compared to the standard 2075.

HTH

Caveat lector!

Servo upgrade?

I use Castle MMP's and castle bec's
    And glitch busters are cheap, so I run one if I have a slot in my rx

Hang up and Drive
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

Ordered the Power HD WP-23 last night...a belated birthday present to me...lol. I'll post back when I get it and install...probably be a week or so. Gonna give it a whirl without a glitch buster or BEC...wish me luck!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Ok, best of luck!
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Thanks for the info. Are you using the stock esc or something else? Mike McE are you using a Castle esc or ?? I have heard the CC esc bec is not the best? Still a little confused and Oldscool I apologize if I have muddied up your thread. Seems some are just fine without a glitchbuster or bec,some are OK with a glitchbuster and some seem to need a bec?? I really like the specs/price of that PowerHD but I want to make sure it won't cause issues. I would rather like to avoid wiring in a bec but if needed that's what'll happen. Would much prefer plug and play. Thanks!!
    that's going to largely also depend on not just the bec in the esc but the quality of your receiver as well. none of my hi torque servos work worth a nickel on stock traxxas tqs and receivers.
    One mans garbage is another mans ungarbage" -Ricky

High torque or high voltage or both?
    I run a Hitec 7950 in my Summit. Stock TQ 2.4, no problem. It's more than any Traxxas with the possible exception of the X-Maxx needs.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Well, I guess we'll find out. I'm running a 6533 receiver with a bluetooth TQi radio and a Hobbywing WP SC8 esc on 3s and 4s.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    High torque or high voltage or both?
    I run a Hitec 7950 in my Summit. Stock TQ 2.4, no problem. It's more than any Traxxas with the possible exception of the X-Maxx needs.
    good point. i generally use the hitec7955tg which has always needed either a bec or my futaba receiver and tx. anytime ive ever tried to use a stock tq system, i lose range and get severe glitching past about 50ft. however it was all with monster mamba escs which are not known for having the best internal becs.
    Last edited by vxlrocket; 11-25-2016 at 10:27 AM. Reason: grammar
    One mans garbage is another mans ungarbage" -Ricky

Servo upgrade?

Esc - Hobbywing MAX10-SCT
    Motor - KD 2700
    Rx - Traxxas 6533
    Tx - Traxxas 6528 + Bluetooth
    Servo - PowerHD WP-23
    Misc - Racers Edger glitch buster

HTH

Caveat lector!

Esc - Hobbywing MAX10-SCT
    Motor - KD 2700
    Rx - Traxxas 6533
    Tx - Traxxas 6528 + Bluetooth
    Servo - PowerHD WP-23
    Misc - Racers Edger glitch buster

HTH
    Your set-up is very similar to mine. I run the SC8 and swap between the KD 2700(LOVE that motor!) and the 2150kv. Same receiver/radio. I just stuck the gltchbuster in my wife's Amazon Christmas cart (shhhh don't tell her..lol) just in case I need it. I'll try it without 1st just to see how it works
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    Lots of really good info in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner1 View Post
    Lots of really good info in this thread.
    I agree^^^ I learned a ton! Really looking forward to putting that servo in. According to the specs it should be a substantial upgrade from the 2075. I'll keep the 2075 for a backup for the Slash or my Rustler.

Edit: Any suggestions on steering linkage to go with my new servo? I'm a basher...do I really need a servo saver or ??? Again I apologize to Oldscool for hacking his thread.....Sorry!!!
    Last edited by Dcuda69; 11-25-2016 at 10:28 PM.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Racer
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d772.html

have one in a slash, yeti and yeti xl. only been a few months but no issues yet besides one of them is really noisy.

RC Qualifier
    Ordered the Power HD WP-23 last night...a belated birthday present to me...lol. I'll post back when I get it and install...probably be a week or so. Gonna give it a whirl without a glitch buster or BEC...wish me luck!
    So I am thinking about going with the wp-23 after all the replies I got in this thread. Have you gotten a chance to form an opinion on it Dcuda69?

Quote Originally Posted by oldscool View Post
    So I am thinking about going with the wp-23 after all the replies I got in this thread. Have you gotten a chance to form an opinion on it Dcuda69?
    Sorry I have not. It's been a crazy week.It has arrived and is packaged nicely, I just have not had time to get it installed. Hopefully in the next week or so. Sorry it's taking so long....crazy time of year. What I have so far:

Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    Sorry I have not. It's been a crazy week.It has arrived and is packaged nicely, I just have not had time to get it installed. Hopefully in the next week or so. Sorry it's taking so long....crazy time of year. What I have so far:

Looks nice! If anyone else has experience with this servo please chime in.

Great thread! I am also interested in seeing how the Power HD WP 23kg works in the Slash.

RC Competitor
    ive read the whole thread but im still not sure... would i need a glitch buster to run the Power HD WP-23kg on a Mamba monster X stock TRaxxas RX/Tx ?.
    Also, so review / opinion would be appreciated on this servo thx !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast