Traxxas Slash 2WD

Hi everyone.

I am looking at getting the Slash 2WD: TRA58024

Wondering if there are any issues with it?? Common parts that break? which spares should I have on hand?

I know it is the base model. Which battery should I get for it? I have a charger already.

I understand it has a training mode that cuts throttle by 50%.

Thanks!

RC Competitor
    I have not had any manufacturing issues... Just issues I have created myself. I have broken a servo saver and a rear axel carry, everything else I have replaced with Traxxas aluminum before I broke it. I shortened the antenna tube (tucked the extra wire in the receiver box) so it sits below the body. I have the provided 3000mah flat pack battery and a 3000mah hump pack battery (both NiMH). I did go through my rear tires rather quickly running on pavement, so that is something to keep an eye on.
    2wd Slash with upgrades.

RC Qualifier
    I have a Slash 2wd and upgraded to the Velineon brushless motor. I wish I would have bought the brushless version from the start. I still run NiMh batteries which is fast enough for me.

The best two things I bought for it are the Pro-Line Hinge Pin Set and the RPM Rear Bumper Mount. See these two threads for explanation:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...eep-coming-out

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...ep-popping-out

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Chevy View Post
    I have a Slash 2wd and upgraded to the Velineon brushless motor. I wish I would have bought the brushless version from the start. I still run NiMh batteries which is fast enough for me.
    I agree with getting brushless if possible. I was cheap and got the brushed, I am wishing I had got the brushless with the money I have invested into my truck by now.
    2wd Slash with upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Svpracer98 View Post
    I have not had any manufacturing issues... Just issues I have created myself. I have broken a servo saver and a rear axel carry, everything else I have replaced with Traxxas aluminum before I broke it. I shortened the antenna tube (tucked the extra wire in the receiver box) so it sits below the body. I have the provided 3000mah flat pack battery and a 3000mah hump pack battery (both NiMH). I did go through my rear tires rather quickly running on pavement, so that is something to keep an eye on.

What kind of run time are you getting with 3000Mah packs? What is best to run for long run times in the Slash without changing the battery try and hold down?
    thanks!

The best two things I bought for it are the Pro-Line Hinge Pin Set and the RPM Rear Bumper Mount. See these two threads for explanation:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...eep-coming-out

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...ep-popping-out
    I agree with getting brushless if possible. I was cheap and got the brushed, I am wishing I had got the brushless with the money I have invested into my truck by now.
    Great input guys - thanks!

I likely will go with Brushed at this point - there is a sale on. Also this gives my daughter and I something to work on (upgrading to brushless) later on! .

thanks!

Any thoughts on tire upgrades for higher ride height?

RC Competitor
    I get about 15-30 min depending on how hard I'm driving with one charge per battery... (This is without training mode). I'd recommend a 4000 or 5000 mah battery if you really want a long nimh run time... I just bought a pair of rear tires for my truck as the stock ones are rather worn out after my pavement bashing... The stock ride height is decent, I wouldn't change it unless you are really doing some off roading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2wd Slash with upgrades.

The stock ride height is decent, I wouldn't change it unless you are really doing some off roading

I am thinking for when some snow starts to fall here in Canada.

Thanks for the note on battery - I'm guessing the 5000mah packs do not require changes on the Slash to make it fit?

RC Competitor
    Well I'm in the UP, I have seen slashes run on the stock chassis with no problem in snow, just need to make sure the rear tires can get grip...

As long as it's a flat pack it should...

2wd Slash with upgrades.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Great input guys - thanks!

I likely will go with Brushed at this point - there is a sale on. Also this gives my daughter and I something to work on (upgrading to brushless) later on! .

thanks!

Any thoughts on tire upgrades for higher ride height?
    Going brushless now might save you money later. I had three brushed motors fail. The original, bought a replacement, and got a free replacement from Traxxas. I think they cost $20.

Going brushless now might save you money later. I had three brushed motors fail. The original, bought a replacement, and got a free replacement from Traxxas. I think they cost $20.
    So why did your brushed motors fail?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    So why did your brushed motors fail?
    Not sure. I was only using the stock NiMh battery. Traxxas support or my LHS (can't remember which) told me they typically only last about three months.

Not sure. I was only using the stock NiMh battery. Traxxas support or my LHS (can't remember which) told me they typically only last about three months.
    Only three months? Is this common for the 2WD slash motors? What happens ... They just stop working or are there warning signs?

Thanks

RC Competitor
    I believe unusually high motor/ battery temps are signs... I have had mine for ~5 months and have not experienced any motor issues. Gearbox maintenance is key to maintaining motor life.
    2wd Slash with upgrades.

RC Competitor
    Jeteffect: I was in your exact position last week. I Was looking for a couple cars for me and my 8 year old. We ended up with a Slash and a Rustler. we bought the cheapest ones we could, and they are an absolute blast! You won't be disappointed.

I believe unusually high motor/ battery temps are signs... I have had mine for ~5 months and have not experienced any motor issues. Gearbox maintenance is key to maintaining motor life.
    What gearbox maintenance is needed, and is it outlined in the manual? Thanks!

RC Competitor
    I have had to clean the teeth on the slipper gear and adjust the nut that holds it on. The nut tightness has an article on the support page I believe. The only other thing is a slipper clutch repair kit. I have one in my tool box if I need it.
    2wd Slash with upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    Jeteffect: I was in your exact position last week. I Was looking for a couple cars for me and my 8 year old. We ended up with a Slash and a Rustler. we bought the cheapest ones we could, and they are an absolute blast! You won't be disappointed.
    Thanks for the note! We are close to a purchase!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the note! We are close to a purchase!
    Hey, I can't tell if my PM response went through or not but here it is:

Hi, I'm still a newbie at this myself but I documented my learning process with the motor failures in this thread:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...w-what-s-wrong

At first I thought it wasn't the motor then realized I made a mistake and found out it was the motor. Traxxas tech support admitted the brushed motors only last three to six months. I went through three. Each lasted about three months. I was using the stock 7 cell 3000 mah NiMh battery on flat dirt in the backyard. No heavy use.

You can read about the problems in the thread, but basically the motor would lockup. Traxxas sent me a free replacement then I bought another one for $20 at my local hobby store (LHS). At that point, I decided to upgrade to the brushless Velineon system instead of spend $20 every three months. The Velineon system was $140 at my LHS.

If I had known then what I know now, I would have just bought a brushless Slash from the very beginning. I think they're better in the long run. The brushed motors could be luck of the draw or just bad in general. Not sure. If you only ran at 50% training mode all the time then you'd probably get a lot longer life out of the brushed motors, but normal mode is perfect for us.

Hope this helps!

Appreciate your thoughts and sharing you experience - certainly a helpful post, thank you!

lcg chassis is a great upgrade, not a must though. It is just a night and day difference from the stock hcg chassis, a lot less flipping.
    its not fun until something breaks

RC Qualifier
    Appreciate your thoughts and sharing you experience - certainly a helpful post, thank you!
    The other thing I would have done is spray Flex Seal on the underside of my original body. I've read it makes the bodies last a lot longer. I think you can get Flex Seal at Walmart or definitely online. Although I haven't used it yet, I plan on using it on my new body. My original body is one year old now and held together with duct tape.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    lcg chassis is a great upgrade, not a must though. It is just a night and day difference from the stock hcg chassis, a lot less flipping.
    Definitely recommend the lcg chassis if you are going to be driving on flat surfaces often...

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    2wd Slash with upgrades.

RC poster
    lcg chassis is great but it will lower your ride height so keep that in mind if just bashing, i have had mine two months now and having a blast, stock motor running fine but found it does collect dirt so occasional cleaning is necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Thanks for the note. I think right now with winter coming up, and where we will be mostly running it outside, we'll hold off on the leg chassis upgrade. Sounds like a spring project for us though!

For now for snow I'd like to increase ride height using adjustments and maybe paddle tires.

Quote Originally Posted by revocat65 View Post
    lcg chassis is great but it will lower your ride height so keep that in mind if just bashing, i have had mine two months now and having a blast, stock motor running fine but found it does collect dirt so occasional cleaning is necessary
    How do you think the motor will be on snow runs throughout the winter?

I understand the speed control (XL-5 waterproof electronic speed control) and the Receive box is sealed. Will the motor be ok in snow?

RC Competitor
    I believe the T15 is water resistant as well... you just need to clean and dry after each run.
    2wd Slash with upgrades.

How do you think the motor will be on snow runs throughout the winter?

I understand the speed control (XL-5 waterproof electronic speed control) and the Receive box is sealed. Will the motor be ok in snow?
    Hi Mate.

The stock brushed motors are going to burn out too fast bashing because this is essentially a heavy 1/8 scale.

Also the brushless trucks are made a bit different (please correct me if I'm wrong, it might have changed now!!) and come with metal gears in the transmission, while the brushed gears are plastic.

In regards to your question though, it will be "OK" in the snow but it's not very powerful and even in the cold weather the motor will burn out (brushes) and will need replacing eventually.

I find the titan is an excellent "consumable" motor but should be skipped.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by spunkybob; 11-17-2016 at 02:20 PM.