Thread: How Young?

RC poster

How Young?

Hi All,

For those of you with kids, grand kids, nieces/nephews, etc, how young is too young to get them something like the Teton Safety and required supervision aside, when is a child capable of playing with and somewhat understanding RC stuff, not necessarily repairs/maintenance?

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    I would say for the teton maybe 8. I met a guy at my race track that got his son a rally when he turned 8 for his birthday. Anyone younger and I would say they would need to be supervised.
    Have Fun and Drive Recklessly

"Safety and required supervision aside"... there is certainly no rule, not even a decent guess. I've known tweens who only use full throttle and kindergarteners who have cautioned me to be careful as they drive around me, both as I'm standing and as I'm racing them on a track. There is so much more to it than talent/skill. Temperament and especially decision-making are a huge part of what make this hobby enjoyable to the young and very young crowd.
    My 2.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    Excellent reply as each case varies. Age nor hobby not withstanding. Have seen 10-12 yr old adults. As well as 30yr old preschoolers. In all aspects of life. Taught to be responsible with it. No way is 8 years old too young.

RC Racer
    The TETON has an available setting where max speed is only 50% for both forward and reverse. This allows for easier control and if it crashes, damage will be reduced. I would strongly urge you to use this for a few months until control is proven by the young one. Another great tip is to let off the throttle just before turning to avoid being out of control, as full throttle with steering leads to crashes!.
    For 50% feature see page 12 on Owner's Manual PDF
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC poster
    I have a 1/16 Summit & 1/16 Slash. My 5 year old son always wanted to drive whichever one I wasn't! Yes, I wasn't sharing! Haha.

Got him a Teton of his own. For $100 it was worth him not crash my Summit or Slash & we have a lot of fun driving them together. I put it on training mode, until he starting getting bored with it. Then, I put it on full blast & it's like a brand new toy! He handles it well. I let him take it outside & drive it when ever he wants. But, we live on land in the country, so no traffic. Don't think I'd let him do that in a regular n'hood.

RC Enthusiast
    i agree with Justin. My 5 year old uses an SST and has no issues. Took a few runs for him to understand how to manage the throttle and steering, but we have a lot of fun now. i only supervise when he is running to help watch out for cars. if we lived in the country where there was no traffic i wouldn't worry at all. handling of the batteries is another issue and i take care of that.

RC Competitor
    My 5 and half year old started with a Stampede 2wd brushed that I set on half speed. Eventually, he became familiar with braking, turning, etc..

I would do "fun" drills competitions with him in the yard to see who could stop closest to a cone from a full speed stop. Then, I'd make little obstacle courses around the perimeter and time them. He very quickly came to learn how to control it and get times pretty close to me. I took the car off training mode and we did the same things - plus just overall fun drive it how/where you want it - at full speed and he very quickly adapted.

Now, I've upgraded him to the VXL brushless 4x4 Stampede and feel completely confident in him. He respects the speed and is very cautious with his truck. Despite many opportunities given to him to run it full speed on the road, he never lets it rip for more than 30 to 40 feet. That control tells me all I need to know.

Now if I could just keep him out of the wood chips....

RC Racer
    My almost five year old got his first truck at about three and a half. It was a Teton. He's graduated to a 2wd stampede now and he drives better than most Adults or older kids I know. I've got a 30" wide ramp that he can hit every single time.

The key is only letting them start out in parks where there isn't much to hit. Setup a little route for them to consistently drive to get used to turning both directions (behind and in front of the car). Once they get that you're good to go. Just invest in lots of a-arms. Lol.