Thread: Crawling setup

RC poster

Wink Crawling setup

Hey guys, new to rc's and a soon to be Teton owner.. I have been thinking about going down on the gear/pinions(?) to produce a bit more torque/power to make it more of a crawler attribute but still keep its decent speed/acceleration? Any tips or info on what parts should get tweaked with?

RC poster
    Any tips are welcome I don't bite

RC Enthusiast
    I've been trying to do the same thing, there just aren't many gear choices out there for the Teton.
    Slash 4x4 - 4
    Nitro Rustler - 5
    Jato 3.3
    Summit

RC poster
    Yeah I've heard but not discouraged, just got my Teton today and Love et so far. Too late to charge et in the car cause et came w a car charger, but et had a bit of charge to et still. For now I'll mess around w buying tires for et that are good traction and bite/grip

RC poster
    I've noticed holes where I could potentially raise the car height for ground clearance but before I go crazy w that I'd like feedback on what to do w/o ruining the truck

RC Racer

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    I've noticed holes where I could potentially raise the car height for ground clearance but before I go crazy w that I'd like feedback on what to do w/o ruining the truck
    I see adjustable holes for shock placing. As per pages 14-15 of Owner's Manual: If you are going to drive on harder surfaces, move the lower shock to Position 2. The upper shock position can be adjusted and tuned to find the best setup for your driving style.
    The only thing I see is that it would be difficult to raise the Teton, as the axle output shafts at all 4 wheels have a limited range and actually have a kind of bump stop preventing this from being possible. Trimming and going beyond this would cause extra strain on the output shafts, suspension arms and u-joints going in to wheels and steering. Doubt increasing ride height suspension is possible, and would advise against it.
    You could set your ride height slightly by stiffening your shocks so it rides on the max extension most of the time. Read my thread: https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-Shock-Springs and pay attention to the "arm position" (left arrow one -- where output shaft of power is and see how it rubs on the 2nd pic at bottom of circular short stop (which also rotates) preventing the output shaft from going down further, i call this the bump stop). This would maximize your ride height, and may be too stiff for driving. If you lift your Teton up in air you will see this extension compared to it resting on a desk. When you lift the truck up in air, this is your max suspension height that you could possible get after shock modification.
    The GTR shocks (# 7665)are adjustable so you might be able to extend them out for max height, but not sure on stiffness compared to stock, so you could also add a few extra coils trimmed from part # 7666. You also need part # 7062 or/and # 7065 as you need something to join the extra few coils (like i did in my thread). This would really stiffen up the suspension for maximum ride height.
    Putting on taller tires would add clearance but might put extra strain on motor/diff and increase top speed with poor acceleration and I would suggest going easy on acceleration.
    The stock pinion appears to be 9 tooth. There is optional 10 tooth but this is not for crawling, more so for speed. Don't think you will be able to find an 8 tooth, or make it work.
    As per https://latrax.com/sites/default/fil...ist_160212.pdf the parts in bold are optional accessories (not bold = stock).
    Items in bold text in this post are links to respecting parts or pdf manuals.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by BigAL12; 11-23-2016 at 08:34 PM.
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC poster
    Awesome thanks for the info, have already wanted to put on diff tires so I'll play around w that, thanks BigAL