RC Racer

Where the nitro boys at?

Sad to see this thread dead. Nothing more exciting than a nitro screaming! I guess people don't like the work of tuning or fuel. Truly an awesome class!
    Rustler VXL
    T-Maxx 3.3
    1/16 Summit VXL

Electric is defiantly more popular now. But there is still some of us that prefer nitro
    "Drive it like you stole it"

RC Champion
    Yep. Pretty much off all my electric stuff except for a truggy. I still have my revo and just finished breaking in my recently re-sleeved os tm 21.
    I have an RC problem...

I run 2 nitro revo's and a nitro savage x. For me, nitro just isn't that fun when it gets cold out. Engines get fussy when it's below 50F outside.

I'm getting an ERBE for Christmas though, so hoping I'll get some snow running in with that this winter.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Still having fun with my Nitro's.... They are not as near as popular with battery technology allowing you more run time. But still to recharge those batts doesn't happen that quickly.... I love just splash and dash and the sound...

What else would you expect from me with a name like mine. lol
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 11-21-2016 at 11:45 AM.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

I am also am sad to see this thread dead. Still love the sight, smell and sound of nitro. Electric just can't touch it.
    "Gone racing"

RC Qualifier
    I vowed to keep my revo3.3 nitro and will not convert it no matter how enticing it is...

It gets used less than half as much as the electric but I make sure its always tuned and ready to go

RC Champion
    I have a two nitros, love them both. Revo for bashing, xxxnt ad2 for racing.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Competitor
    I will always be a nitro fanatic but I have to agree.. Electric is taking over. Il always have nitro though. I have some electrics but use my nitro more. What I do is find the coldest day and try to get my tune as close as possible then when it warms up its just a minor adjustment, usually. I run my nitros year round if I can.

I still have all my nitro trucks, I just love tinkering with them. That being said, I don't run them in the winter, it gets far too cold here for them to run well enough to justify running them.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

When playing by myself, I prefer my nitros, but in a group, its electric. Love the smell, sound, knowing how to tune! Nitro takes more mechanical know how, and electric is plug-n-play, (IMO the lazy way)!

2 Nitro Sports, 4 T Maxxs, and a Savage XL.
    1997 White Mustang Cobra its not a RC!

RC Competitor
    I can't count how many times I've gotten frustrated on how to tune. When first starting into the nitro scene I didn't know anything about them. I didn't know you had to tune these things. I bought my first Tmaxx 3.3 and I thought it was the biggest pile of poop. But I didn't know you had to have a tuning procedure. But now that I've been in the hobby all these years I feel confident that I can tune a nitro. All my rc buddies want me to tune they're trucks because I've learnt how to tune them really good. Trial and error got me here and yes I have gone through a lot of nitro engines before learning the right way but once u figure it out it's a blast. Il never give up nitro. Electric is a whole other animal. They're fast and easy and I agree with some when they say it's the "lazy way" but sometimes I like to just plug it in and go and other times I like to hear and smell the power. I sure hope they don't stop making nitro fuel or nitro engines because I sure do love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcjunky2002 View Post
    I can't count how many times I've gotten frustrated on how to tune. When first starting into the nitro scene I didn't know anything about them. I didn't know you had to tune these things. I bought my first Tmaxx 3.3 and I thought it was the biggest pile of poop. But I didn't know you had to have a tuning procedure. But now that I've been in the hobby all these years I feel confident that I can tune a nitro. All my rc buddies want me to tune they're trucks because I've learnt how to tune them really good. Trial and error got me here and yes I have gone through a lot of nitro engines before learning the right way but once u figure it out it's a blast. Il never give up nitro. Electric is a whole other animal. They're fast and easy and I agree with some when they say it's the "lazy way" but sometimes I like to just plug it in and go and other times I like to hear and smell the power. I sure hope they don't stop making nitro fuel or nitro engines because I sure do love it.
    Tuning definitely takes a lot of practice. Learning what sounds right, what exhaust you should see, how hot it should get and how each needle affects the outcome. After almost 20 years of nitro, I still have bad days of tuning. Usually ends up being an air leak somewhere though causing me to chase my tail.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Tuning definitely takes a lot of practice. Learning what sounds right, what exhaust you should see, how hot it should get and how each needle affects the outcome. After almost 20 years of nitro, I still have bad days of tuning. Usually ends up being an air leak somewhere though causing me to chase my tail.
    Yes same here. The days that I can't figure out the tune is usually because of an air leak some place. I had a truck last summer that I could not figure out at all.. It ran fine when driving it somewhat but as soon as it would come off on idle it would idle like it was leaning out. That thing gave me so many headaches I actually ended up tearing the whole motor down and sealing the entire engine and still could not find the culprit. After changing the tank and fuel lines it seemed to be ok. I bet it was a seal in the tank or maybe a bad tank all together. With that being said, Air leaks can be a pain Sometimes it just takes time to find it.

RC Racer
    i have used a nitro before. They are pretty cool. The only reason i don't own one is because i dont want to be drive 20 minutes there and 20 back almost every weekend to get more gas. intros are awesome though

Still here, just haven't had time to run anything, not my nitros, not my alias's(even though I can fly them in the yard).
    Life just gets in the way lately.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rcjunky2002 View Post
    I was exactly the same but was determined to figure it out, being a motor head. I sucked at getting my .15 tuned right and had a short life. But decided to upgrade to a 3.3 and get the proper tools/research, and finally running like a top. So much that it actually had a problem starting but would fire a few times, and noticed I didn't have the glow plug tightened after applying after run last time. Fired up instantly. One thing I didn't account for was adjust for high altitude, but the thing runs killer power in the winter with the improved air density.

In the summer I did some top speed testing against my revo 4s and had within 5mph (37 vs 42mph). But I've since did a FOC and I'm sure it's has to be the same or faster now. I have tested with a 64t spur and would like to see it with this new FOC. Possbily 50mph at our 4000ft altitude.
    Merv
    ERBE
    T-Maxx Classic 3.3
    Axial Scx10

RC Competitor
    Present and accounted for :-) Still "digging" the Nitro's after all these years.
    Not a whole lot of recent posts. But lots of useful info just the same. I like looking back at the real old questions.

RC Enthusiast
    Just getting back into Nitro after not using mine for way too many years. I have a 13 year old son who became curious about the truck sitting on my shelf. That curiosity lead to us buying a T-Maxx 3.3 off Ebay to go along with my 2.5. Here in NY it is still pretty cold, so we've only managed to get the out and running a couple of times, but both are working pretty well, and we are looking forward to the warmer weather, when we can get them tuned up and have some fun with them.

RC poster
    been nitro since 03, (fatman here) never will I go to battery. No matter how advance elec becomes NITRO will always be King!

RC Racer
    I've been ordering a ton of Tmaxx parts from tower hobbies in a attempt to get back into nitro. Miss it after 12 years or so
    Traxxas E-Revo,Traxxas Rustler VXL,Traxxas T-Maxx

Quote Originally Posted by davids93rx7 View Post
    been nitro since 03, (fatman here) never will I go to battery. No matter how advance elec becomes NITRO will always be King!
    After running nitro for 17 years... I recently got a ERBE (Christmas). I have since bought a 4x4 stampede vxl... I have to say, I'm really enjoying the electric side of the hobby.

Granted, I do feel a bit more childish at the skatepark running the electrics. Doesn't take away from the fun they supply though.

RC Competitor
    I'm new to the nitro, but I'm loving it! Have run electric for many years. I think just getting your nitro set up is half the fun of it

Don't know what I'll do when I finally have mine the way I want it. Probably build another I'd say! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by SITHH4MMER55 View Post
    I'm new to the nitro, but I'm loving it! Have run electric for many years. I think just getting your nitro set up is half the fun of it

Don't know what I'll do when I finally have mine the way I want it. Probably build another I'd say! Lol
    Be warned, once you have the sickness, it's irreversible, and lifelong.

You now need to keep plenty of Nitro and afterrun oil on hand.

Let the good times roll to the sound of Nitro!

NFFN (Nitro Forever Forever Nitro)
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!