RC Racer

Confused about gearing

From my understanding, there is the tooth count on the pinion and the spur, but what is pitch? Why is it important?

Pitch refers to the size of the teeth on the gears. 48 pitch is stock. The pitch number refers to the number of teeth per inch of diameter of the gear i.e. a 1" diameter 48P gear would have exactly 48 teeth.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
    Pitch refers to the size of the teeth on the gears. 48 pitch is stock. The pitch number refers to the number of teeth per inch of diameter of the gear i.e. a 1" diameter 48P gear would have exactly 48 teeth.
    So would the optional 23/86 i installed would be a 48 pitch then followed by 23/86

Quote Originally Posted by stilllearning7 View Post
    So would the optional 23/86 i installed would be a 48 pitch then followed by 23/86
    Sorry, I'm not sure what the question is here.

Both the 23T pinion and 86T spur are 48 pitch (aka 48P). All Traxxas 2WD trucks (Bandit, Rustler, Slash, Stampede) run on 48P gears.

Some people (including me) convert over to larger toothed 32P gears for added durability and easier meshing but most stick with 48P.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
    Sorry, I'm not sure what the question is here.

Both the 23T pinion and 86T spur are 48 pitch (aka 48P). All Traxxas 2WD trucks (Bandit, Rustler, Slash, Stampede) run on 48P gears.

Some people (including me) convert over to larger toothed 32P gears for added durability and easier meshing but most stick with 48P.
    Actually that helps me a lot. The main reason I'm asking is because I'm wanting to find a good match with a pinion and spur that would give me more top end and not so much take off to where its sometimes uncontrollable. From my research, I can control some of that with the slipper clutch or at least I think that's what I read. I don't have a temp gun for a motor. I don't typically run long distances.Some of that would be short stop and go, but I would like to try a higher gear, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm curious what the maximum pinion and spur is that I should use. It might be beneficial to mention that I'm not real sure how to figure the ratio either and what would be too much.

A good starting point would be the chart in your manual. Do you have brushless or brushed motor? Gear it too high for top speed and you will heat up the system. Just think of your bicycle: how hard do you have to pedal to move from a dead stop when the front sprocket (pinion) is on the biggest ring and the rear sprocket (spur) is on the smallest?

If you are looking to go from 48P to 32P all you would need to do is divide the number of teeth on the spur by the number of teeth on the pinion and look for similar ratio on 32P.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    A good starting point would be the chart in your manual. Do you have brushless or brushed motor? Gear it too high for top speed and you will heat up the system. Just think of your bicycle: how hard do you have to pedal to move from a dead stop when the front sprocket (pinion) is on the biggest ring and the rear sprocket (spur) is on the smallest?

If you are looking to go from 48P to 32P all you would need to do is divide the number of teeth on the spur by the number of teeth on the pinion and look for similar ratio on 32P.
    it's a 2 wheel drive and it did have the Titan motor in it but after it started smoking one day, I wanted to switch it out with a brushless. Ended up getting a Velineon combo brushless. When I installed the brushless, I went ahead and switched out the gears to the optional 23/86

RC Racer
    I appreciate all the help. What do you guys think about a Servo saver? I'm not sure if that's something that I want to put on there, and I'm also not sure I even had one. I've read that its almost a must have on a SCT. I've also read that it causes your vehicle to wonder or not stay straight or something like that.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by stilllearning7 View Post
    I appreciate all the help. What do you guys think about a Servo saver? I'm not sure if that's something that I want to put on there, and I'm also not sure I even had one. I've read that its almost a must have on a SCT. I've also read that it causes your vehicle to wonder or not stay straight or something like that.
    Better keep it for now. Does the servo have a white disc attached to it. Does it have a spring inside. If so that's the servo saver. If they're bad they can cause issues. But if not they will save your servo in bad crashes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I got 48 pitch and 31/86 gears..its alot of fun.Set brake to 10% drag when throttle is at 0%.

32 pitch gears? Not so much.You can run without a gear cover.With 48 pitch,use any gear cover and some are very nice.

32 pitch crowd is the gear-driven crowd.Showing off gear teeth.
    48 pitch crowd is the gear cover crowd.Much flash you make the gear cover is.