Thread: First RC

RC Enthusiast

First RC

I've got a big end-of year bonus coming up, and I've been thinking about splurging on a completely unpractical RC.

This would be my first. My little boy got a fun toy RC tractor for his birthday a couple of months ago, and after playing and looking at more tons RC videos online, I've gotten the bug to get a real RC.

I won't be racing or joining any clubs, and I live out in the country with open fields, so I was thinking of going the monster-truck / basher rout.

I don't want this to be a passing fad that gets boring to me in a weeks time, so I'd like to get something that will stay fun and entertaining long term. If that means that I go big instead of working my way up, then so be it.

Soo....... give me your advice.

- Should I start with a mini, go straight to the X-Maxx, or somewhere in between?

- Should I even consider nitro?

- Should I get an easy to drive crawler or a screaming speedster that will take some learning?

- Should I get a Traxass or is there any reason to try another brand?

- Does any of this make a difference for a newbie like myself?

Honestly, I've been leaning towards jumping into a Stampede, E-Max, or Summit. It seems like the bigger 1:10 scale would be more versatile, impressive, and entertaining, but I really don't know. I'm willing to spend more if a brushless, bigger, faster, better RC would be more fun, but if a newbie like myself wouldn't know the difference, I won't waste the money.

Help

Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    For what it's worth, here is the toy that my little boy got:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1tlhM2IdHo

I figure that I'd better get something at least a little better than that

RC poster
    I'd say the stampede 4x4 or the stampede 4x4 VXL are good because they are fast and can almost go over any terrain.
    If you want to have a bigger but as fast car the E-Maxx Brushless Edition is good but that breaks really easy.
    If you want to be able to go over any terrain, the X-Maxx is the best option BUT that doesn't go as fast as the stampede and the E-Maxx it is up to you what you want to do wih it.
    I would say the stampede is the best option because it doesn't break instantly when you hit a rock or anything like that

RC Qualifier
    being that you live out in the country id go straight to the xmaxx the smaller rcs would get boring much faster in large open space. Ive never agreed with the whole start out small mentality, the xmaxx has great online support so if it breaks it would be no different than if you need help with a smaller model.

plus why would you want to spend hundreds on a smaller truck only to spend hundreds later on the one you really wanted in the first place.

I have all the afore mentioned rc's lol. The minis as fun as they are arent the most practicle long term. Lots of screws and tiny parts when fixing stripped diff gears which they strip easily especially running in grass. I learned to mostly run on concrete(Latrax Teton).

The Stampede is versatile little truck. Many upgrades, options, build as much or as little as you want. Can build in to a speed runner or all out MT.

Summit is really cool if you put a sensored brushless motor in it and do diff upgrades. It can be decent fast(35-40), yet still retain its crawler status by locking in hubs via switch on tx.

After buddy and I took Summit and my ERevo Brushless Edition to Sand/clay pit, I set my suspension up to give most ground clearance possible(with long travel rockers included in box) and went everywhere he went just as easy. I had the upper hand with my ERBE being a lot faster on 4s. I have the option of running up to 6s too. But running ERBE on 6s will breat parts and requires upgrades if hard bashing with it.

Now on to Xmaxx...
    Its just a beast! A monster, monster truck! On 6s its so cool. Nice speed and will go just about anywhere!!! Not many upgrades that ive seen so far but imo... it needs none!!! Its really is the evolution of tough as the commercials say. I actually tried to break a drive shaft or pop a shock and couldnt. It took everything I threw at it.

With all that said you cant go wrong with Stampede 4x4(having fun upgrading it to bulletproof) or the ERBE(4s no upgrading needed/6s upgrades needed) or the XMaxx 6s ready no upgrades needed.

Here is my basher Stampede 4x4 brushless on the hood of my Xmaxx
    Here is Xmaxx on top of a summit.

This is in my experience and opinion.

Sent from Eastern Missouri
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC poster
    I myself just pulled the trigger on an X-Maxx it will arrive today. I've worked at a hobby shop in the past and have owned just about every RC out there. I personally would go with what catches your eye. I've had 1/5 both gas and electric. Stay away from nitro way to much tinkering and not enough play time. Also don't take the people on forums opinion on durability, everyone drives and bashes different so what you'll break will be different from what I'll brake and so on.

Hope this rant helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    As stated, if you've got plenty of ground around you, then get the X-Maxx.

DO NOT get the Traxxas 5000Ah 3S 25C batteries - they're made for smaller trucks and aren't adequate for the power demands of the X-Maxx.

Al.

I have 7200mah 3s, 50c/100burst and its perfect imo for xmaxx. Good point atom3624, definitely need bigger 3s.

Robvbro81 that is true however there are specific parts on different models that do tend to fail first when going up in power or tend to fail easier out of the box...

Sent from Eastern Missouri
    Last edited by Briber; 11-23-2016 at 04:58 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Just get the xmaxx it does have issues which you can find on this forum but there's nothing else like it.

Since this truck came along I just don't use any other rc now, 1/10 scales jump and hop about this thing ploughs through any terrain,it's a joy to drive.
    I'm from rip off Britain

My vote is a brushless Emaxx or Xmaxx.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Once you get the xmaxx you wouldn't want no other basher RC....TRUST ME so you might as well get the best basher Traxxas has to offer.
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Enthusiast
    My two cents, if you have never ventured into the RC world and don't know if your in it for the long haul I would say a stampede 4x4 VXL, I won't break the bank and you can get your feet wet in the RC community. They are relatively cheap and easy to upgrade as your skills increase or keep it stock till your ready for the big commitment of the XMAXX. There is no denying the XMAXX as a total all around brute. But after years I still run my Slash, my stampede, my Emaxx, and my XMAXX depending on what I'm feeling for the day.

RC Enthusiast
    Xmaxx is $900 with batteries.

Is it really four times as fun as a standard stampede?

RC Racer
    If your talking about the $200 2wd brushed stampede then yes it is

Is it really four times as fun as a standard stampede?
    It's a hundred times funner than a Stampede or Summit, and a little under twice as fun as a brushless Emaxx.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Competitor
    The only time you will doubt the xmaxx is as a non owner. I don't have one but I will

RC Enthusiast
    For what it's worth, I just won a used Summit on Ebay.

Excited to get started.

RC Racer
    Had them all, stampede vxl is quick on 3s and all spastic but compared to the xmaxx it's just an angry little chihuahua. Running around bouncing around flipping often. The xmaxx is a Saint Bernard, little pebbles don't faze it and stays upright for the most part and floats over everything. I know these are all "toys" but the xmaxx suits my driving style best and more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by dagoof View Post
    For what it's worth, I just won a used Summit on Ebay.

Excited to get started.
    Awesome!! You will love it. I think the Summit is perfect for where you will be running. It is a Basher/Crawler with the two speed tranny and the lockers. The stampede is a little small for open fields unless they are pretty smooth and the XMaxx is a big investment.
    Have fun!!
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

RC Racer
    I'll be the contrarian here, I just got my X-Maxx two weeks ago and already had to send it back to the retailer for replacement. After 1 hour of easy running on the sidewalk in front of my house it was clicking pretty bad, possibly an issue with the rear diff and Traxxas didn't appear interested in helping me out so I shipped it back. I should have a new unit shortly and I'm hoping for a better outcome this time around. I have a Summit and 2WD Stampede as well. The 'pede is fun playing around in the street or the big drainage ditch at the end of my street, the Summit likes to climb steep stuff, big piles of rocks are always entertaining. You need some space to air out the X-Maxx, it is pretty fast on 6s, 35 mph and get's there very quickly and requires a lot more room to turn. I spend most of the time I had my Maxx troubleshooting the clicking noise so not the best person to ask about how much fun it is. If you get a 'pede or Summit you can pretty much take it out of the box and bash them, the Maxx is going to require a bit more involvement and most on here would recommend opening up the diffs and checking the amount of lube in there and check for grease on the ring and pinion gears. Traxxas is stingy with that stuff at the factory.
    "For we walk by faith and not by sight" 2 Cor. 5-7

RC Competitor
    Your not the only person that Traxxas would not help, customer service is crashing

RC Racer
    Good to hear, I invested in three of them last month based on reports of top notch customer support. My experience was not good, slow response time and no real help. I expected more on a week old truck I'd just dropped $1000 on with batts. Luckily the Summit and Stampede are doing fine. Disappointed so far with the X-Maxx experience but hoping the first one was just a fluke and the replacement will be fine.
    "For we walk by faith and not by sight" 2 Cor. 5-7

RC Qualifier
    I have owned every truck but the XMAXX and it seems I always come back to the Stampede. Just a great little truck. Looks great, only needs one battery and hauls booty. I am considering the XMAXX, I am just having an issue with the price tag. I'm sure I'll get over it.
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by shortdog1007 View Post
    My two cents, if you have never ventured into the RC world and don't know if your in it for the long haul I would say a stampede 4x4 VXL, I won't break the bank and you can get your feet wet in the RC community.
    Isn't the Stampede 4X4 VXL the brushless one that is $450 plus batteries? That's almost the same as the summit and only a little more for an XMAXX

When you guys say stampeed, are you usually talking about the $200 version, the $300 version, or that $450 version?

RC Enthusiast
    The original poster was saying going straight to am XMAXX by that statement I assumed he had a decent disposable income. The XMAXX is 850.00. So if he unsure then 450.00 would be alot less to eat then the 850 and if he stays with it he will have a good rc in the pede to start his collection.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dagoof View Post
    Isn't the Stampede 4X4 VXL the brushless one that is $450 plus batteries? That's almost the same as the summit and only a little more for an XMAXX

When you guys say stampeed, are you usually talking about the $200 version, the $300 version, or that $450 version?
    Stampede 4x4 VXL is 450, the new 8s Xmaxx is 900, thats twice as expensive as the P4de VXL version.

Imo when you say Stampede thats a certain model line of a Trx rc truck.

Heres the way I see it...
    Stampede 2wd aka P2de (brushed)
    Stampede 2wd VXL aka P2de VXL(brushless)
    Stampede 4wd aka P4de (brushed)
    Stampede 4wd VXL aka P4de VXL

92.5 mph Rustler (R.I.P.)
    86.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    Last edited by Briber; 02-04-2017 at 11:17 PM.

I have both Stampede 4x4 vxl tsm and Xmaxx

On tarmac with no snow/ice and easy grass fields Stampede is good and fast but expensive to upgrade if you choose to. I haven't tried it in summer with 4S yet. Winter here.

Rough bumpy grass terrian or snowy roads/grass the Xmaax simply rules and the Stampede isn't even close. 8S with 21/50 gearing on xmaxx is fantastic.

If you only run on tarmac with no snow and ice I would not buy the xmaxx, it's just the wrong RC for it.
    Last edited by cazrack; 02-05-2017 at 09:28 AM.