RC Competitor

Best Mod to prevent spinout?

I have a basically stock Slash 2wd. What the best way to get more straight line traction in loose dirt? I realize it isn't a 4wd, so there will always be some sliding around, but whats the best way to minimize it?

Good tires. I recommend proline trenchers for good all around tires.
    Too much power is just enough

Quote Originally Posted by traxxasfan21 View Post
    Good tires. I recommend proline trenchers for good all around tires.
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    smooth is fast

RC Competitor
    Tires are exactly what I thought too.

I have been told contradicting things from local hobby shops, they both said that tires won't make a difference.

The first shop said the best option is a LCG chassis, but I only bash around, so Im not sure I want to loose the ground clearance. Plus, I don't know if this would make a difference in a straight line.

The second shop said the LCG will do me no good, and that I need to grease my diff so that both tires hook up together. This also doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I used to drive a car with a locking diff, and it was easier to get it to spin out.

Im my head, better tires would have more grip, and would spin less.

I am glad that you guys agree with me. I drive a mix of pavement, loose dirt, and grass.

Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    Tires are exactly what I thought too.

I have been told contradicting things from local hobby shops, they both said that tires won't make a difference.

The first shop said the best option is a LCG chassis, but I only bash around, so Im not sure I want to loose the ground clearance. Plus, I don't know if this would make a difference in a straight line.
    This is completely incorrect! The lcg helps with flipping over. it will not decrease your ground clearence. the front and rear skid plates are the same hietgh as the lcg. if anything it will be better because the bottom of the chassis is flat and it will glide over ground.

As for the diff, there is some truth in that. Greasing the diff is not locking it. It will make the diff more stiff. This will make the tires spin together more but not lock them together completely. This will help with straight line stability. Also toe in will make your truck more stable in the straights but with the sacrifice of turn in.
    smooth is fast

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the reply!

For the toe in, I need to change the rear arms correct?

The biggest thing you really need to stop spin-outs is throttle control. A good set of tires will help with traction and control, but they can only do so much.

What have you done to your shocks? Recommend going up to 40wt on your shock fluid, it will show down your suspension, limit wheel bounce, keeping the tire in contact with the road longer.

A LCG chassis is a great upgrade in most cases, it helps a lot with weight distribution, keeps the weight low, and allows you to maintain control when cornering.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Best Mod to prevent spinout?

You can get the TSM receiver and it's basically a gyro for the steering. You can mash the throttle and not even steer and it will go completely straight. You have to have a radio with a multifunction knob too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Charger Man; 11-25-2016 at 09:03 PM.
    115 mph Heavily Moddified Slash 4x4 on 6s

RC Competitor
    I have a Gyro receiver in mine and it handles great. My radio is the Radiolink RC4G and it comes with a Gyro receiver all for about $50.

Thank me later...

RC Competitor
    I didn't know that gyros for RC cars existed before today. What do you guys think of the cheap $8 on eBay? Looks like thy just plug in between the servo and receiver...

RC Competitor
    For $8 it's worth a try. I been using Gyros in my electric rc airplanes and it helps stabilize it in wind. Same thing with these trucks, the 2wd has a tendency to spin out and the gyro greatly reduces it. It's also easy to adjust the sensitivity right on my radio.

RC Competitor
    I agree about worth trying for $8. There are a couple you tube vids using an older version with the same part number. I think on Monday I'll order 2.

Coming from China may take a while to get. But I'll report back....

RC Qualifier
    Ah, I say new tires as well

Own: Rigged slash (Slash 2wd brushed.. with a castle setup and 70 mph of drive shaft grinding goodness)

RC Qualifier
    Rear toe in and tsm or gyro. The rear toe makes a huge difference. I have 4 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by Role View Post
    Rear toe in and tsm or gyro. The rear toe makes a huge difference. I have 4 degrees
    I would probably give the gyro a shot for only 8 dollars. TSM is a little more pricey. And if you do decide to purchase the gyro, then let me know how it works out...Heck I would even get it if it works good!

Drive yours like it isn't

RC Competitor
    Role, got a good pic of your Toe in? I would just like to visually see how much 4 is, I don't have any kind of measuring tools.

Also, to the OP, as already said a good set of tires for the appropriate terrain helps alot.

The biggest thing I really think that would help, no offense, is being able to control your rc car. I never spin out of control even with my street tires in loose dirt. Shocks and tires and gyros help Yeah but knowing how to drive it is the most important thing honestly

RC Qualifier
    Rear toe is a must with big power. I run a light weight 4s battery and 1/8 motor. In order to track straight I needed the tsm / rear toe. I have and film gearbox with 4 degrees, sorry no pic

RC Qualifier
    I only run sand paws , I have sand where I bash . I love them because they last forever and don't balloon.

RC Competitor
    I ordered the cheapie Gyro yesterday. I actually found one that wasn't in China for a $10. It should be here in the next week or so, and Ill report back.

RC Racer
    What did you type in on ebay for this item to come up?

RC Racer
    I didn't know that gyros for RC cars existed before today. What do you guys think of the cheap $8 on eBay? Looks like thy just plug in between the servo and receiver...
    What did you type in on ebay for this item to appear for $8.00? Thanks

RC Competitor
    I don't see the one that was 7.99, but here is one for $8.84 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piezoelectri...1%26rkt%3D1%26

The one I got is the same thing for a couple dollars more, but its shipping from the US according to the ad.

It hasn't shown up yet, but once it does, and I get it installed, I will report back on how it is...
    Last edited by blown240; 12-02-2016 at 12:28 PM.

You could also try playing around with your slipper clutch. As for the diff. The thicker the oil or grease the more it will act like a solid axle (both tires moving together all the time). I would play around with different thicknesses and see what works best for you.

Shocks are another great way. They can absorb some of the take off and plant the tires into the ground. Same way a car does.

RC Enthusiast
    I totally agree with wonder melon. There are several aftermarket sealed diff's that you can use different weights of silicone diff fluid. I use one and it has helped alot!

You have a variety of "solutions" listed here. Driver talent is tops on the list, because that really is the issue. That said, the gyro helps overcome by trting to correct the steering. Toe in will most likely give you what you want, however at the sacrifice of top speed and tire wear. My 10 lb scratch build buggy was notorious for being " twitchy" with the explosive 5700 kv motor as programmed. Had to learn the throttle modulation thing to haul the mail from a stop. Set every bit of 5 degrees of toe in the rear and "oh my" the car is way quicker, channeling my HP straight in line. Now its throttle wide open and point where I want to go and it does. NOTE, its NOT a track car, with trailing arms instead of a arms with unlimited toe adjustment thru the heims, so I have proven the toe theory works exceptionally well. My v2 scratch build is lighter, about 3 degrees toe with a 3900kv. Goes straight as can be like that, less "violent" motor. Diff with thick grease is the 2nd thing for mine. Just think about the physics going on; one wheel loads up getting more traction sending it sideways, repeat the other way until you've spun out.

RC Competitor
    The Gyro showed up and I got it installed. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but so far it looks like its going to work.

First off, its really tiny. Here is the ebay pic:

And here is a pic of the case, to show how small it is.

I was concerned about keeping water out of it, but I was able to take it out of its case, and install it inside the receiver housing. I wrapped it in double sided foam tape, so it shouldn't go anywhere.

One thing I did notice was that because the Slash has the steering servo installed upside down, I had to install the gyro upside down too. Also, I had to trim the little keyway off the servo plug to get it to fit into the Gyro socket.

Here is a video of it working:

http://vid899.photobucket.com/albums...pse6hj3ij6.mp4

Hopefully I can get out and try it on Tuesday.

RC Competitor
    I just got back from my first time driving with a gyro. Its interesting. On medium grip surfaces, it really does a nice job. On really loose stuff, it tries, but there is only so much it can do, and the truck still spins out. I could probably turn the gain up, to get even more assist in the really loose stuff, but I think I have a decent middle compromise.

Where you really notice it is hard stops, where the truck wouldn't stop straight. With the gyro the truck stops nice and straight.

RC poster
    I have a basically stock Slash 2wd. What the best way to get more straight line traction in loose dirt? I realize it isn't a 4wd, so there will always be some sliding around, but whats the best way to minimize it?
    Throttle control. Coast in turns, and loosen up the slipper so the wheels barely rise when testing.

RC Racer
    I just got back from my first time driving with a gyro. Its interesting. On medium grip surfaces, it really does a nice job. On really loose stuff, it tries, but there is only so much it can do, and the truck still spins out. I could probably turn the gain up, to get even more assist in the really loose stuff, but I think I have a decent middle compromise.

Where you really notice it is hard stops, where the truck wouldn't stop straight. With the gyro the truck stops nice and straight.
    Do you use the stock basic transmitter with the gyro?