Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Emaxx killin' lipos

Have you guys ever ruined your lipo batteries because it ran the voltage too low? In the past three years I've gone through 4 batteries. When I try to charge them it says low voltage I believe. I take them back to my lhs and they'll refund them for new ones of its under a year....is my low voltage cutoff in my esc not working correctly??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emaxx killin' lipos

Overdischarge is the easiest way to ruin a LiPo. You need to change your LVC/LVD to 3.5 Volts per cell.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For several years now I have been strongly suggesting a LVC/LVD of 3.5 volts per cell.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Overdischarge is the easiest way to ruin a LiPo. You need to change your LVC/LVD to 3.5 Volts per cell.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttThree View Post
    Okay so now it is 3.5v per cell? I thought it was enough to rise it to 3.3v.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    For several years now I have been strongly suggesting a LVC/LVD of 3.5 volts per cell.
    Thanks for the tips everyone. How would I change that in my esc? Is it as easy as plugging in my castle USB connection? I don't recall of lvc being on there but it's been a while since I have played with that part.....

I'm pretty sure you can change the LVD cutoff on your castle esc, but just know that I've never had a castle before...

Also, here's an idea if you can't find the setting for LVD on your castle esc:

What I would do next time you run your e-maxx, time how long it takes for your battery to run down and activate the LVD on your esc. Then, I would subtract that time by 1-2 minutes, then remember that time by keeping it on a sticky note or something like that.

Then, the next 5-ish runs, set the timer for that amount of time, and then run your e-maxx. When time is up, you stop running your e-maxx. After 7-ish runs, time your battery again, and repeat the whole process. This way you don't overdischarge your battery and it will last a lot longer.

Happy driving!
    - MindBlown

Quote Originally Posted by MindBlown View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can change the LVD cutoff on your castle esc, but just know that I've never had a castle before...

Also, here's an idea if you can't find the setting for LVD on your castle esc:

What I would do next time you run your e-maxx, time how long it takes for your battery to run down and activate the LVD on your esc. Then, I would subtract that time by 1-2 minutes, then remember that time by keeping it on a sticky note or something like that.

Then, the next 5-ish runs, set the timer for that amount of time, and then run your e-maxx. When time is up, you stop running your e-maxx. After 7-ish runs, time your battery again, and repeat the whole process. This way you don't overdischarge your battery and it will last a lot longer.

Happy driving!
    - MindBlown
    Hmmm this a good idea! Thanks! I don't remember where I saw it but some one had a little screen rigged up on their rear view window in the body that showed the voltage. How hard would that be to have I wonder.....

All you need is a low voltage alarm with digital readout and a JST-XH extension.

All you need is a low voltage alarm with digital readout and a JST-XH extension.
    Thanks! Just ordered it! Should I get two since I'm running 6s?

Emaxx killin' lipos

That would be safest and give you even more data than even the telemetry would. But unless your packs were mismatched in capacity or charge state, you shouldn't need two.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-28-2016 at 05:37 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm pretty shore it states the cut off & all default on the startup paperwork. U can also get a free link when u get a new motor/esc or it may have came with a coupon for one when it was new. I can also set it with our one by using the steps in there manual or got to there sight. U Maybe able to asked the marshal if u can post a link or if it is OK to post a link to How it is done. It's not very hard once u see it. Just a lot of throttle pulling & braking threw the settings. I set mine as close as I can to storage voltage & try to have multiple packs. I do this just to keep the batteries longer. I read a study thay doing this u can get a few more cycles our of a pack.

Emaxx killin' lipos

Although LVC modes can be changed via trigger pulls, there is no ability to set custom LVC levels (like 3.5V/cell) using that method. That requires one of Castle's Link devices.

What cut off voltage you guys using per cell?

3.5 Volts per cell, regardless of vehicle model or battery cell count.

Emaxx killin' lipos

The guy at my lhs also stated that if I don't charge them right after I use them, and wait a week or so between runs, that too can have them fall below 3.2 volts per cell....which I am guilty of....

Although LVC modes can be changed via trigger pulls, there is no ability to set custom LVC levels (like 3.5V/cell) using that method. That requires one of Castle's Link devices.
    Best $20 I've spent in my rc hobby. Needed to adjust my brakes to prevent more tumbling and it was super easy

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxBash View Post
    Best $20 I've spent in my rc hobby. Needed to adjust my brakes to prevent more tumbling and it was super easy

+1 on that but I picked up a motor/esc combo & got one for free. It's the same as the old Castel systems just now there waterproof all but the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by moparnoother1 View Post
    +1 on that but I picked up a motor/esc combo & got one for free. It's the same as the old Castel systems just now there waterproof all but the fan.
    Nice!

RC Enthusiast

Wink

[QUOTE=MaxxBash;6334175]Nice!
    What even better is getting a mm2 new from tower for $175 as well as castle sending mt free link

Is the 3.5 Volts per cell LVC/LVD spec a personal opinion due to one's experience, or was there some sort of research done? I ask, because I can't find anything specifically documented on the subject. All I can find is spec's from different battery, battery charger, and ESC manufacturers. If any of you guys knows of any specific studies, I'd sure appreciate knowing where I can go to check'em out. So far, I haven't had any luck searching on my own.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

So I guess everybody that has gotten swollen traxxas lipos has abused them, right? Why is the lvc on 3.3v from factory then one might ask. There could possible not be a quality issue of traxxas lipos, god forbid?
    I'm confused on what your saying lol. I have only used venom lipo batteries

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Is the 3.5 Volts per cell LVC/LVD spec a personal opinion due to one's experience, or was there some sort of research done? I ask, because I can't find anything specifically documented on the subject. All I can find is spec's from different battery, battery charger, and ESC manufacturers. If any of you guys knows of any specific studies, I'd sure appreciate knowing where I can go to check'em out. So far, I haven't had any luck searching on my own.
    Again? Really...again??
    This is what I know:
    SPC Racing recommended 3.5;
    SMC recommends a mimimum of 3.4 but set their personal vehicles at 3.5;
    Even Maxamps recommends 3.5;
    Personal testing has shown over and over that the power drops at 3.5. This happens because the packs can no longer keep up, i.e. they are being stressed.
    I can't speak for Maxamps, but if you think the other two companies picked their numbers out of thin air, then I don't know what to tell you.
    You want studies. Why? Do you have the expertise, time, or equipment to verify or contradict the findings? Do you have the time to test thousands of packs? Have you been monitoring packs for years and noting what changes the evolving chemical composition of LiPo batteries bring? I don't. But I believe that what I've seen from these perspicacious parties and the eye-test.

So I guess everybody that has gotten swollen traxxas lipos has abused them, right? Why is the lvc on 3.3v from factory then one might ask. There could possible not be a quality issue of traxxas lipos, god forbid?
    If you have an issue with Traxxas LiPo packs, please contact them and stop walking the troll line.

Again? Really...again??
    This is what I know:
    SMC recommends a mimimum of 3.4 but set their personal vehicles at 3.5;
    Personal testing has shown over and over that the power drops at 3.5. This happens because the packs can no longer keep up, i.e. they are being stressed.
    I can't speak for Maxamps, but if you think the other two companies picked their numbers out of thin air, then I don't know what to tell you.
    You want studies. Why? Do you have the expertise, time, or equipment to verify or contradict the findings? Do you have the time to test thousands of packs? Have you been monitoring packs for years and noting what changes the evolving chemical composition of LiPo batteries bring? I don't. But I believe that what I've seen from these perspicacious parties and the eye-test.
    If you have an issue with Traxxas LiPo packs, please contact them and stop walking the troll line.
    Thanks for clarifying ksb. Again lol. Your vast knowledge is appreciated

How is this trolling? It is a solid question. No where officialy does it say you should raise the lvc to 3.5 on the mamba monster 2 to prevent lipo issues.
    I'd rather be safe than sorry any day imo....

Emaxx killin' lipos

There is nothing "wrong" with Traxxas LiPos. They are well made and accurately rated. If a user has a problem with a pack, Traxxas is more than willing to work with them.
    Is the default MXL-6s LVD set at 3.3V/cell? I have very recently checked four MM2's and it was set at 3.2 for all. Original Mamba Monsters had it set at 3.0. It makes as little sense to go back to that as to refuse to take advantage of lessons learned and increase the setting to what has been advised on these boards for years. My experience suggests that you will damage ANY LiPo pack with the low voltage detection/cutoff set at the default Castle Creations level. My experience also suggests that higher quality (true higher C-rated) packs are more susceptible to damage because they do not experience premature voltage sags.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-12-2016 at 10:22 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ... SPC Racing recommended 3.5
    Yes, long before any other RC battery company or any ESC manufacturer, I was recommending that cut-off level.

... Even Maxamps recommends 3.5
    Wonder who they stole that idea from?

... "perspicacious"

Again? Really...again??
    I hope not KSB. I'm still hopeful that people can have civil discussions about this, and all the other RC subjects that we can talk about.

SMC recommends a minimum of 3.4 but set their personal vehicles at 3.5;
    Thank you for posting this information. It will help me as I look into this, and see what's best for my setup. If I can help others on the way, I certainly will.

I'm sure they have good reasons, but I can't say for sure (either way), because I haven't started to look into them yet. I will though, as I get time. I figure, it doesn't hurt for me to keep an open mind. That's how a person grows in knowledge. If not, we'd all still be afraid of the Earth being flat.

Have you been monitoring packs for years and noting what changes the evolving chemical composition of LiPo batteries bring?
    I do have to say that I do keep a battery log, and have done so for many years. I mainly did it back (when I first starting using Lipo's), because I though I might need to use the information in future trouble shooting. The other reason why I kept a log was to keep track of my Lipo's capacity as manufactures suggest replacement of them after a 20% drop in their capacity.

Over the years my logs' information has increased to include many more things, but more for my fun and interest. I generally don't do things to prove people right or wrong. I generally do things to see what's best for me. Anyway, sometimes I'll take that information I have personally experimented with, and let my friends know about it in an effort to give them helpful suggestions to consider, but I don't push them to think one way or another. I figure, they have the power of reasoning (as we all do), so I figure they can make up their own minds as they see fit. Anyway, I appreciated you answering my question. It gives me something fun to look into.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 12-20-2016 at 09:02 PM.

RC Racer
    What brand are you using that they take it back?

Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Blast

Emaxx killin' lipos

Quote Originally Posted by panek33 View Post
    What brand are you using that they take it back?

Venom. Idk if it's through my lhs or venom themselves....but if it's under a year my lhs will send it back and give me a brand new one. Pretty sweet deal. My first one some of the cells started to leaks other went really far below lvc and couldn't recharge and two others puffed up.

The good part is that they take it back.
    The bad part is that you have to use a Venom battery.

The good part is that they take it back.
    The bad part is that you have to use a Venom battery.
    Do you not like venom? They are pretty expensive....they are the only lipos my lhs had at the time. I've been looking at smc or maxamps for my birthday lol
    What's your opinion ksb51rl?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    MaxAmps are over rated in specifications and grossly over priced.

RC Racer
    Just please don't use reedy!

Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Blast

I don't like Venom. I would never use their NiMH packs and while their LiPo packs are not the dangerous products the NiMH packs were, they are optimistic to the point of lying about their specs.
    If the question was SMC vs Maxamps, I'd without question or hesitation go with SMC.

I don't like Venom. I would never use their NiMH packs and while their LiPo packs are not the dangerous products the NiMH packs were, they are optimistic to the point of lying about their specs.
    If the question was SMC vs Maxamps, I'd without question or hesitation go with SMC.
    Thanks for you input ksb. I'll be purchasing some new 2 and 3s soon!

When I purchased this venom charger my lhs said that when I proceed to charge a lipo it will ask to confirm that the R and the S both say 3 of I'm charging a 3s.....its been four years and this is the first time seeing this....does anyone know what this means? I plan on going to lhs tomorrow but just wanted to see if anyone had a clue.

Emaxx killin' lipos

Means your charger is only reading two cells of your three-cell pack.
    For further Support of your charger, you must contact the manufacturer as Support for non-Traxxas items is not permitted here.

Means your charger is only reading two cells of your three-cell pack.
    For further Support of your charger, you must contact the manufacturer as Support for non-Traxxas items is not permitted here.
    Hmm thanks for your knowledge ksb51rl.

In GENERAL, a dirty balance connector or broken balance wire can cause this type of error on chargers. Or a bad cell.

https://youtu.be/b7FFHKsuJHs

I thought that this was a pretty good little video, and thought this might help new guys make better battery storing, charging, discharging and LVC decisions. Of course as old timers, we don't want the new guys to forget about reading their battery manufacturer's instruction sheet for specific specifics, but (hopefully) they get something out of this video too.

One thing I did found interesting with this guy was he said that 3.2vdc and 3.4vdc was the industry standard for LVC with 3.2vdc being more so than 3.4vdc which 3.2vdc is the default Castle MM2 LVC setting and is what I personally use.

However, in defense of my 3.4/3.5vdc friends (from reading their suggested battery spec sheets), there are some batteries out there that won't replace their batteries that under warranty with LVC's set less 3.4vdc.

This guy also said was (as what I have always understood too), that Lipo's don't like being discharged below 3.0vdc and some don't like being discharged under 2.7vdc which is what I have also read on some of Traxxas's battery/owners manuals.

However, in defense of my 3.4/3.5vdc friends who were also advocates of proper Lipo storage, he does say that Lipo's are not meant to be Storage Cells. Which means (see more detail in the video), that we don't want to keep our batteries stored at full charge for very long. Which, I have to say that this off season I started storing my batteries at their proper storage charge.

Anyway, all-in-all, I learned a few things over this winter from reading all the material that some of 3.4/3.5vdc members suggested, and watching video's like the one above. I hope some of you will take a little time to discover some new things too.

In closing, I will say that (IMO) it's always best to read all of the owners manuals/instruction sheets that come with RC vehicles, batteries, ESC's and other electronics before getting started with RC-ing.

P.S. I would of taken pictures and posted all the pictures I read over the winter, but didn't think it was necessary at this time. I can though, in the future if requested.

P.S.S. I was in the process of correcting my grammar, and my 1 hour time limit ran out. So, I'm sorry if my grammar is a little rough to read.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-11-2017 at 07:47 AM. Reason: merge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast