Angry 1/16 E-revo Overheating...

Ok guys, so my 1/16 e-revo keeps overheating while I'm running on dirt, pavement, or anywhere. I have stock gearing (23/55?) and am running a 2s 2200mAh traxxas battery. I thought what's causing it is either all this dirt getting into the vehicle, the temperature outside (because it's really hot here, like 80 in houston and its only November), or this thing I found out in the motor.

Lemme tell you a story about what happened with the Titan 12T 550 Brushed motor...

So I was sitting in my room taking the motor off my e-revo because I needed to switch out pinion gears, but then I wanted to find out what was overheating. So what I did is I plugged in the battery, turned on the transmitter then the esc, then floored it while the motor was off. Suddenly, the motor blindsides me with this flash from inside and I dropped the motor onto the table and almost fell over in my chair... so turns out the motor, whenever you power it, sparks inside for whatever odd reason.. and I wanna know how to fix it without wasting $18 on a new one, because I wanna get a Rustler VXL but still have the e-revo running well, and the motor is also very hard to unplug.

To make this clear, the motor is sparking dangerously, I don't like my e-revo overheating, and I don't wanna buy a new motor. I wanna know how to fix it.

Thanks a bunch!

RC Champion
    All brushed motors spark while they run, especially when accelerating or decelerating.
    When they start to die, they will spark more and overheat.
    80f should not cause overheating, neither would dirt unkess it got into the bearings and wrecked them. Assuming you are using stock tires and stock gearing, you shouldn't be overheating unless your motor is bad...
    But if you have tires other than stock, then that's likley the problem. Bigger tires need a smaller pinion.
    Dacaur

I still use the tock 2" talons on it, so that isn't a problem. Here's another question: is there any way you can make a brushed motor brushless? And is there anyway to decrease, if not, remove all the sparking going on in it?

Quote Originally Posted by MindBlown View Post
    I still use the tock 2" talons on it, so that isn't a problem. Here's another question: is there any way you can make a brushed motor brushless? And is there anyway to decrease, if not, remove all the sparking going on in it?
    A brushed motor can not be made brushless. Yeah, you can throw the brushes out, but that way it won't work anymore.
    A brushless motor is a different design and also needs a different ESC.

Sparks are cause by bad contact between the brushes and the rotor. You can break the motor in (can be done in several ways from use just a little throttle for a while up to the water break in method) to reduce the sparking.
    Nobody is born with experience

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it! I'll see what I can do to fix it and update this thread soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MindBlown View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it! I'll see what I can do to fix it and update this thread soon.
    No problem. That is the purpose of this forum! Good luck and we look forward to your updates.
    Nobody is born with experience