RC Racer

EZ Peak Dual #2972-did I make a mistake?

Reading all the quirkiness about these chargers not finishing left side etc did I make a mistake or is this just isolated incidents?

RC Qualifier
    Mine works just fine.

RC Racer
    Thanks i'll keep my fingers crossed.

RC Racer
    Left side slow is one thing, but a couple weeks in and the fan is hooting and howling for the first 20-40 seconds of operation. Not looking good.

Can someone tell me where the serial number is supposed to be on these?
    Last edited by DieselPro; 01-26-2017 at 04:53 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Oil the fan bushing, the noise will stop. I had to do it to mine. Almost a year ago, no issue since.

RC Racer
    I haven't looked close, but do I need to open the case i would assume? These fans I thought were pretty tough to access internals. Oil recommendations?

Sad that they can't get a decent fan for these things.

RC Qualifier
    Just 4 screws on the back. Open it up, the fan pulls out. I used micro lube in the shaft/bushings.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown94 View Post
    Just 4 screws on the back. Open it up, the fan pulls out. I used micro lube in the shaft/bushings.
    Thanks for the tip. I just did mine. For those reading here you will need to pull off the label add oil then cover it back up. I ended up using a piece of electrical tape across the bearing hole as the label adhesive was all but shot.

I also took time to do the howling fans in both of my Black and Decker smart battery chargers.

I would still advise anybody considering one of these chargers look for something better.

I have done this maintenance on many fans with bushings, sized from 25mm to 120mm, on battery chargers and PCs and other devices less expensive and much more costly than the Traxxas Dual (or any other charger) and not only has it worked every time, but the squea(l/k)ing has not returned in any of those cases. I would not let the fan issue deter me from purchasing a Dual or other Traxxas charger, but that is easy for me to say since my charging needs are more diverse (RC is not my only hobby) than most chargers are capable of.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    If it was 3 years old I could understand, but this one has only been used a handful of times and it seems quite common. If we can add a drop of oil and fix why can't the supplier of the part do it from the start?

DieselPro, I have the single port charger, not the dual, but when my fan starts making weird noises I normally just whack it with the back of my hand and it goes away. Probably not the best way to fix it, but it works. I have not had a problem with it since.
    "Gone racing"

I used the dual id a 4-5 times and got tired of the 3+ hours to charge my 9000mah 2S packs pretty quickly. It's now in it's box and for sale.

It seemed to charge the packs fine, I just had to reset the charger around the 2 hour mark and restart the cycle because it times out at 5000mah I believe.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    Mine had the fan noise right out of the box. Added a drop of oil and has been quite since. I drilled a small hole in the case at the center of the fan so when it starts again I can lube it without taking the case apart. Charges my 7600 2S lipos in 45 min and they both finish within about 3 min of each other. My NiMHs would get hot while charging with the default amp settings so I turned them down to 3 and no problems since.

Quote Originally Posted by spookydoom View Post
    Mine had the fan noise right out of the box. Added a drop of oil and has been quite since. I drilled a small hole in the case at the center of the fan so when it starts again I can lube it without taking the case apart. Charges my 7600 2S lipos in 45 min and they both finish within about 3 min of each other. My NiMHs would get hot while charging with the default amp settings so I turned them down to 3 and no problems since.
    Kind of curious how a charger capable of 4A per output can charge a 7600 lipo in 45 minutes. It should take nearly 2 hours, unless your running it with one output at 8A.

RC Racer
    Crud yours times out? I have the dual & was hoping this charger would be fine for my 7600's.this charger has been nothing but reliable for me in a years use.
    Traxxas E-Revo,Traxxas Rustler VXL,Traxxas T-Maxx

Quote Originally Posted by SandSlinger View Post
    Crud yours times out? I have the dual & was hoping this charger would be fine for my 7600's.this charger has been nothing but reliable for me in a years use.
    It does with 9000mah 2S SMC packs. It beeps and flashes an error light, then you unplug the pack, plug it back in and start the cycle again.

RC Racer
    Thanks for getting back to me. Guess I'll keep it for alittle bit. And just keep resetting it when mine times out. I'll have to upgrade at some point
    Traxxas E-Revo,Traxxas Rustler VXL,Traxxas T-Maxx

RC Racer
    My EZ Peak Dual Charger is quirky as some have mentioned, one side will charge quickly, the other side is taking much longer and if I switch the slow pack to the other side it very quickly indicates it is fully charged and shuts off. I would not be able to recommend this charger based on my experience so far. Fan is quiet so far though.
    "For we walk by faith and not by sight" 2 Cor. 5-7

RC Racer
    My fan works now that it's been lubed, but the charger cannot seem to finish the job within the stupid timer mode. Even on 5200 lipo in balance mode it needs to be reset. Same with setting for storage mode. Needs to be restarted at least once.