RC Competitor

summit sensored brushless mamba monster set up

ok so i bought a used summit. it has everything stock, and i have a mamba monster X esc and (2200kv senseless motor) which i don't intend to use.

is it possible to use the MMX esc and the titan motor. will i need a censored harness from castle ? i understand that the esc can do sensored as well as sensorless.

my plan is to make it a great crawler with maybe 25-30mph in high range. speed isn't what I'm after. very good smooth control at very slow speed, with no cogging which is why i want to use the titan rather than my castle motor. and at a later date get a sensored hobby wing motor.

in return ill have, once i water proof the motor if i can. a water proof esc in sensored mode, and once i do install a new motor a full sensored brushless set up for crawling on 4s lips batteries. well thats the plan anyways.

anyone able to help much appreciated.

Thanks, ThunderMaxx

Don't need a sensor cable for brushed motors.
    The castle will need to be set to run brushed motor by using the (Castle link)
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Ok so I've got the castle link on order, so I can just install the Titan to the mmx esc with abit of programming. Any chance you know what mode it needs to go into ? There are a few brushed modes, brushed reverse brushed power etc? And should I just follow the manual on set up. I take it I will need the sensor harness to run the brushless sensored motor. How does that harness plug in, does it just connect to the esc then into the motor??
    Last edited by Thundermaxx; 12-01-2016 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaxx View Post
    Ok so I've got the castle link on order, so I can just install the Titan to the mmx esc with abit of programming. Any chance you know what mode it needs to go into ? There are a few brushed modes, brushed reverse brushed power etc? And should I just follow the manual on set up. I take it I will need the sensor harness to run the brushless sensored motor. How does that harness plug in, does it just connect to the esc then into the motor??
    The motor will need its connectors changed out to 6.5mm male bullets, correct?
    There are two brushed modes: High Power and Reversing. There is no reverse with High Power, so that should make your decision.
    Sensor wires/harness attach directly from ESC sensor port to motor sensor port.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    Teton, rustler vxl, summit; what's next?

Mamba Monster to Dewalt 820 14.4V:

It works very well. The only issue is the old MMM's relatively weak BEC.

RC Competitor
    just a quick update on this project, i decided to ditch the titan and evx2 and now will be running castles new censored esc and 2200kv motor, spent a lot of time and money replacing everything on this truck stripped it down to the chassis cleaned & dyed it new bearings in everything, new lem diffs dog carrier new wheels, new batteries, new esc motor hpp german hubs new leds bumpers new shock springs diff oil, list goes on and on just waiting for the lem diff combo to roll in and my castle system to be with me tommorw also i have a savox in there now too, should be top of the mill, ! can't wait to have it running... ill upload pictures once its complete

RC Enthusiast
    We look forward to seeing it!

summit sensored brushless mamba monster set up

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Mamba Monster to Dewalt 820 14.4V:

It works very well. The only issue is the old MMM's relatively weak BEC.
    New MMX and 4274 2250kv sensored motor:

Crawls as well as brushed but runtime and power are increased to the extreme. Had drag brake set at 20%...way too much. Not bad for a $65 motor. BEC issues now are non-existent.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-21-2017 at 02:27 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    New MMX and 4274 2250kv sensored motor:

Crawls as well as brushed but runtime and power are increased to the extreme. Had drag brake set at 20%...way too much. Not bad for a $65 motor. BEC issues now are non-existent.
    How did you get a black can??
    I have my drag set to 10% and it coasts comfortably. I agree the BEC supplies my hungry Savox 1231 without a delay.
    Do you get a slight jerky on flat ground if you try to drive really, really slow?

@ black can: it isn't a Castle motor. I also reduced drag brake to 10%. I have my Summit geared very low, so the drag brake effect is pronounced.
    No jerkiness that is not caused by transmission slop or other non-motor-related factors.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, I need to install the LEM dog carrier which I believe will reduce some slop. I am waiting for them to stock some more combos. What gearing do you run? I have yet to run my 14/68 to give any feedback. Now I see some people running various gearing combos like 18/54 & 16/65; what do these combo ranges offer that differ from the stock gearing?

RC Competitor
    Just a quick update guys! The beast is done!! I'm waiting on a remote and playing or shud I saying making a list for fpv, I have yet to run this but I have to say with the lem combo! Sorry rwb I bought the last combo! Hehe, and the castle sensored system this thing is looking like a beast now! Also done all bearings and a few more upgrades on the way! I'll get up some pictures for you guys, once I'm home. I'll be running stock gearing and o can say that yes the lem dog carrier does reduce a lot of slop, without running I can tell this. Also the avivd full bearing set is made transmission like butter

RC Competitor
    I've tried to upload a picture for you guys but just figured out I need a photo bucket account bla bla, why do they make these things so hard! Anyways I'll get round to that and upload

RC Enthusiast
    Please upgrade your MMX's firmware, latest version (2.02) seems to be even more smoother at low speeds than the one (1.77) I previously had. I'm using sensored 2200kv HW motor.

I've been thinking about of wiring drag brake selection wire to be controlled by lower gear signal. So that 1st gear would have fixed drag brake and 2nd gear would not have any drag brake. Not yet sure what that requires or if the signal timings match, I already bought a servo reverser just in case that is needed.

tell us how you like driving your summit with this motor am thinking of getting a MMX. you get the best of both worlds higher speed but still good torque for clawing.
    SLAM!
    "That Tree jumped right in front of me"

RC Competitor
    Ok so how do you just have a picture in the comment? Without uploading to a website ?? I have a lot of pictures! I finally was able to take my summit out with the 2200kv sensored and mmx new esc, it performs very well! It was able to test against a stock summit and it was as smooth if not smoother, I was really impressed! Super slow with no cogging, limited to stock gear ratio but it gets there quick, I didn't set any drag break as yet but did fiddle on castle link, Iles power on start up, turns off that annoying beep. Updated as someone stated, pumped it up with 6v to my servos, I think I may turn the drag break up to around 30/40%? Just like best of both worlds. Full throttle and slow climbing/descents.

Let us know how that drag brake setting works for you. I suggest not trailing or bashing with it.

RC Competitor
    [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    [IMG][/IMG]

lem dog carrier does the job of switching hi low very smoothly and gets rid of the slop in tranny very well
    diff rebuilt for the brushless power, keeping the pinion and ring gear stock, hopefully will hold up better with all new bearings.
    finally figured it out =]