RC Racer

At what speeds does ballooning become an issue?

I realize that different tires will act differently as well as size etc. but as a rule when does a guy need to think about taping them? In my case it would be 2.8 Badlands MX28. Are we talking 3s only levels or is a guy better to do it right away and be done with it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    really depends.... I run 1/8th buggy slicks and am hitting mid 50s, they don't really balloon....

I have tried the taping thing before and did not like it. Made the wheels out of balance. I know you can balance them. Ballooning doesn't bother me as much as a basher.

I would run your truck and see how you like it without going first. Are you having issues now?

Elevate it and throttle it, you will see when they balloon , on 3s early with 2.8's good foams can stop most of that

Hang up and Drive
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

I am used to my tires ballooning. It doesn't really bothers me. Pitt Bull Rock Beast tires balloon so much that they would flip the truck over. Other than that, all good
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Those Badlands MX28s are big and pretty soft. I taped mine right away because of how much my set of un-taped trenchers balooned on 3s...I figured that these tires would be just as...baloony? I used gorilla tape and then some modeling clay to balance them after the gluing was all done.

RC Qualifier
    All the time for me unless I am bashing... then they actually help out on flip overs imo.
    IG: @818sFastestRC
    Slash 4x4 138MPH

most of the new inserts stop ballooning under probably 50-60. however, the tire compound is definitely almost always the cause. it looks like the mx28's use the old inserts and most likely the issue. these are what i use: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FcWFswodekcMcQ

I'm not sure why they say the only fit like 3 styles of tires. i've used them on many 2.8s.
    One mans garbage is another mans ungarbage" -Ricky

RC Racer
    The reason for asking was pre-emptive. I am looking at either buying pre-assembled sets and rolling the dice or individuals and setting up myself. Looking to avoid the hassle of ungluing if ballooning is going to be an issue. Would be nice if they would just offer a strip/boot (rubber band of sorts) setup and vulcanize in place. Then again if this can be fixed via proper foam insert I may go that way.

Give the folks over at Crawler Innovations a shout, Eddie will hook you up with the correct foams, it will make a huge difference

Hang up and Drive
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by czlynx View Post
    I used gorilla tape and then some modeling clay to balance them after the gluing was all done.
    Just did this with my 2.8 Trenchers....seemed to help quite a bit.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Racer
    Those Badlands MX28s are big and pretty soft. I taped mine right away because of how much my set of un-taped trenchers balooned on 3s...I figured that these tires would be just as...baloony? I used gorilla tape and then some modeling clay to balance them after the gluing was all done.
    Definitely what I should have done. Plenty of ballooning on 2s. At 25mph they are starting to grow. At 30 they are growing significantly and at 35-40 they are distorted like crazy. Hindsight 20/20 should have bought individuals and assembled myself. Winter snow spinning combined with this ballooning pretty much overrides the TSM system.

50 was about the limit for me. if you are doing speed runs grp belted tires work well. they only occasionally fail at 80mph. gone bananas racing foams are great for speed runs too. they are mainly for carpet racing but rick put them on an x maxx that did 95mph.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

Quote Originally Posted by DieselPro View Post
    Definitely what I should have done. Plenty of ballooning on 2s. At 25mph they are starting to grow. At 30 they are growing significantly and at 35-40 they are distorted like crazy. Hindsight 20/20 should have bought individuals and assembled myself. Winter snow spinning combined with this ballooning pretty much overrides the TSM system.
    Maybe you could try adding some fishing line around the tires between the treads.

RC Racer
    Maybe you could try adding some fishing line around the tires between the treads.
    I might have to do that. I was looking for a more permanent solution so I was planning to tape them. So far I tried the air heat gun, boiling, etc and they appear to be very well glued. Last resort is acetone I guess.

RC Qualifier
    i read somewhere on the interwebs where a guy bought some large o-rings from Mcmaster Carr and squeezed them around the outside. i was going to try it on my MT build, but that project has stalled. i like the simple like that, but many, many, many people swear by the tape method...

RC Racer
    Started the acetone process. Boy are those things glued on. I got to thinking though that if I only unseated the one side I should be able to roll the tire over and tape then roll back on while leaving the one bead on?

Is the latest Proline foam going to survive or will it deteriorate?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Just did this with my 2.8 Trenchers....seemed to help quite a bit.
    I do the same and have no complaints.

RC Racer
    I have two of them separated so far after an overnight soak. The first one was really tough. Must have been due to the heat gun use prior. Second one came off easily. Three and four are still soaking. They started to peel a bit but nowhere near like the second one.

I'm debating whether I should just reinstall the original foams once they shrink back down, order the better prolines, or order something else. One thing's for sure I'll not make the mistake of buying assembled sets like this again.

P.S. I looked at the fishing line and the oring options, but the Badlands have the double knobs and there is material between so there would be bridging between lug sets which concerned me.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselPro View Post
    I have two of them separated so far after an overnight soak. The first one was really tough. Must have been due to the heat gun use prior. Second one came off easily. Three and four are still soaking. They started to peel a bit but nowhere near like the second one.

I'm debating whether I should just reinstall the original foams once they shrink back down, order the better prolines, or order something else. One thing's for sure I'll not make the mistake of buying assembled sets like this again.

P.S. I looked at the fishing line and the oring options, but the Badlands have the double knobs and there is material between so there would be bridging between lug sets which concerned me.
    You will probably need new foams. Next time use the acetone fume method which doesn't hurt any of the components.

RC Qualifier
    yes. you should not soak them in acetone. you set them in a container with acetone on the bottom, then place something to in the acetone that the wheel can sit on. it is the fumes that has the power.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SL4SHGT8BASHER View Post
    yes. you should not soak them in acetone. you set them in a container with acetone on the bottom, then place something to in the acetone that the wheel can sit on. it is the fumes that has the power.
    My method: acetone in a large aluminum soup can sitting inside a 5 gal bucket with tires stacked around it and lid on tight, wait a couple/few days and the tires will peel off the rims.

RC Qualifier
    For speed runs, I actually prefer the stock tires

Believe it or not, I lost 8mph by switching to foamies of the same diameter simply because they don't expand

When the tires expand, it's like shifting smoothly into a higher gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo4DOVsGKAU

I've never had any luck with ungluing tires then re-gluing. I've always turned them into basher tires and bought new. I did try the fishing line trick and that works if you can tie the knot nice and tight.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Quote Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER View Post
    For speed runs, I actually prefer the stock tires

Believe it or not, I lost 8mph by switching to foamies of the same diameter simply because they don't expand

When the tires expand, it's like shifting smoothly into a higher gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo4DOVsGKAU
    Nice vid! Ballooning will increase your speeds, but mine usually don't shift smoothly. Lol
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...