Thread: Motor/esc combo

RC Enthusiast

Motor/esc combo

Hey, I'm looking to do a good bit of upgrades to my slash 4x4 now that I have a little money to spend. I plan on running on a 3s lipo with 2.8 badlands. Mainly bashing. Anyway, I want to know what a good motor/esc combo to run. Budget is probably $175. Any info is good info.

RC Racer
    Castle Mamba Monster 2 with 2650KV - only if you plan to run 3S and 4S max.
    If you want to go crazy fast you need to get 2200KV motor and hook up 2 x 3S = 6S - Not recommended due to stress on drivetrain.

Or

HobbyWing WP SC8 with EZ Run motor

I have both. Major difference is
    HobbyWing ESC is smoother
    Castle Mamba Monster 2 allows you to transition from forward to reverse real fast.
    HobbyWing ESC makes you stop completely and you can go backwards.
    Fight on, Race on, Bash on!

Lots of great combos out there..do a little digging around to find something that works for you. 3s and 2.8s will require some driveline upgrades as well. Popular combos are(as posted by kms7852) the Castle 2200kv,2400kv or 2650kv with one of their very capable esc. The Hobbywing WP SC8 esc is solid(I run one) they also have a very capable 150 amp esc as well(WP 8BL 150) Some guys mix and match,the Castle 2650/ HW SC8 is popular. There are others as well. I have a Kershaw Designs 2700kv(similar to the Castle 2400, slightly longer and 5mm shaft) that is a great package in the Slash. Currently running a RC Gearshop 2150kv(1/8th scale, 4074 can) with my HW SC8 and it's a brutal torque monster.....about $100 in the whole thing(esc and motor) Good luck!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

I recommend the Castle Creations Sidewinder 8th, It's about $170 for the combo (2200kv), and it preforms awesome. The ElSob special is good, and imo it's good for lightweight runs, but something like a SW8 is better for a MT conversion or heavy duty build.
    Aww, SNAP. You crashed into the curb at 100mph.

I think just about everyone knows my preference in motor systems! I am very happy with the ElSob special motor system! Have been for years and don't see any reason to stop now
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by NoobPlayer03 View Post
    I recommend the Castle Creations Sidewinder 8th, It's about $170 for the combo (2200kv), and it preforms awesome. The ElSob special is good, and imo it's good for lightweight runs, but something like a SW8 is better for a MT conversion or heavy duty build.
    Agreed. Got mine around August for $150, which is a good deal. Run only 3s/4s and temps never get over 130. I'm geared 24/50 and can hit around 60 on 3s, closer to 75 on 4s. Of course this is with many other upgrades, but i have no complaints. and i guess i should update my signature.. the 5mm shaft will mean you'll need a new pinion, which will probably be mod1, so you'll probably need a new pinion/spur with it. Very worthwhile IMO. May wanna invest in a wheelie bar too

$150 https://www.amazon.com/Castle-Creati.../dp/B00II6SFRI
    Upgraded Slash 4x4 | 75+ MPH