Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    RC poster
    you have to buy new bulkhead, differential will fit, but have diffrent bearing size.
    in old x-maxx bearing are 15x24x5 on 7784 output gear,
    with new differential bearing size are same as normal differential 17x26x5mm.
    So you will fit the differential but it will have bigger bearings that will not fit

probably for center diff old plastic diff case 7781 will fit and you just need to buy new gears

RC Racer
    When I spoke to Traxxas customer service yesterday, the guy specifically mentioned larger drive pins with this upgrade kit. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    X-Maxx, Slash 4x4 LCG, ZMR250 Quadcopter

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyB View Post
    In the "Maxx Duty Drivetrain" section of the promo material it says "Larger diameter driveshafts are specified to handle the twisting torque out to the wheels." What does that mean then?

Marty
    Means just that, Larger diameter Tube. The spline ends are probably still the same.

RC poster
    Hi guys, my first post. I bought my X maxx last week. Two days later they drop the price $50. The next day they come out with the upgrade kit. The X maxx is still in the mail. I'm really bummed. Should I send the X maxx back and wait until February? I called Customer support trying to come up with a deal to keep the truck and the upgrade kit to no avail. What would you guys do?

RC Qualifier
    Send it back

RC Racer
    I would send it back.

RC Racer
    Weigh your options. You'll have to pay shipping back then wait until February or longer for the new truck to release. Or: Get the truck as is and use it and learn about it. The Xmaxx is a great truck and you'll be fine with it if you don't beat the bag out of it with big jumps and let off on landings when you do jump. So for the amount you'd pay to ship back and pay for the price difference for the new truck you could run as is for now and wait for individual parts to hit shelves and upgrade from there to probably not be far behind money wise. Depending on your experience with RC's I don't recommend going straight to an 8S system anyhow, you'll find 6S is sick enough. I've got a good amount of experience with RC trucks, specifically Traxxas and will be upgrading mine to the 8S kit minus the ESC (running another after market ESC) and don't plan on moving to 8S until the truck proves itself in the long run. The truck as it is, is easily capable of breaking a leg, malling a dog and definitely rendering a cat unrecognizable so if your experience is low, it's a good idea to ease into it anyways. Just my two cents.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffm1000 View Post
    Weigh your options. You'll have to pay shipping back then wait until February or longer for the new truck to release. Or: Get the truck as is and use it and learn about it. The Xmaxx is a great truck and you'll be fine with it if you don't beat the bag out of it with big jumps and let off on landings when you do jump. So for the amount you'd pay to ship back and pay for the price difference for the new truck you could run as is for now and wait for individual parts to hit shelves and upgrade from there to probably not be far behind money wise. Depending on your experience with RC's I don't recommend going straight to an 8S system anyhow, you'll find 6S is sick enough. I've got a good amount of experience with RC trucks, specifically Traxxas and will be upgrading mine to the 8S kit minus the ESC (running another after market ESC) and don't plan on moving to 8S until the truck proves itself in the long run. The truck as it is, is easily capable of breaking a leg, malling a dog and definitely rendering a cat unrecognizable so if your experience is low, it's a good idea to ease into it anyways. Just my two cents.
    Well said. Now that I think about it if ur a little new 6s might be better for some, but for me I'd try 8s. Also 6s has been proven, don't really know how well the truck will hold up to 8s specifically the tires.
    Last edited by Dionisi; 12-13-2016 at 11:54 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyg319 View Post
    Hi guys, my first post. I bought my X maxx last week. Two days later they drop the price $50. The next day they come out with the upgrade kit. The X maxx is still in the mail. I'm really bummed. Should I send the X maxx back and wait until February? I called Customer support trying to come up with a deal to keep the truck and the upgrade kit to no avail. What would you guys do?
    Unless you want to dive into expensive 4s batteries and the uber high maintenance that 8s will require (tires, drivetrain parts), I would keep the truck and run it 6s. If at some point you want more, than you can add the new center diff and put a better ESC and motor in it and have better components using non-traxxas stuff (hobbywing, castle creations, leopard hobby).
    Last edited by titanse05; 12-13-2016 at 12:02 PM.

RC Racer
    Just got the RMA email to send the ESC back for the $175 refund.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

RC poster
    What is the core charge?

RC Racer
    $175 + $5 non refundable processing fee

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffm1000 View Post
    $175 + $5 non refundable processing fee

Please explain to me ,what is the core, why they charge us ?
    English is not my mother tongue, I really dont understand, and on one around me know english
    Thank you

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNoPo View Post
    Please explain to me ,what is the core, why they charge us ?
    English is not my mother tongue, I really dont understand, and on one around me know english
    Thank you
    Core charge if you don't send them your stock esc back to them,,if u do send it back then they refund you the core charge amount..
    "AVENGED SEVENFOLD "

I'm hoping to see if I can find a way around the core charge; my oringal VXL-6s esc's serial number matches my truck, and I would really like to keep it that way, I don't want to pay $175 to keep it, that's nuts.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post
    Unless you want to dive into expensive 4s batteries and the uber high maintenance that 8s will require (tires, drivetrain parts), I would keep the truck and run it 6s. If at some point you want more, than you can add the new center diff and put a better ESC and motor in it and have better components using non-traxxas stuff (hobbywing, castle creations, leopard hobby).
    What a bad advice..
    The new xmaxx although will be capable of running on 8S can also running on 6S.
    The current xmaxx can't even run on 6S and stays reliable.
    I managed to break countless drive shafts pins, 5 diff rings and pinions, fride the slipper clutch, destroyed all gear bearings and more..
    All of the above should be avoided with the new xmaxx when running 6S.
    Not to mention that the old esc overheating under serious bash after less than 15min so you need to stop for cooling time..
    And that center diff is another reason to upgrade to the new truck.

The new xmaxx is the one to choose no matter how many cells you're going to run with it!

RC Qualifier
    It's unfortunate to those already with the Mk 1 X-Maxx, but it's excellent that Traxxas have a development team and have listened to the users and upgraded areas requiring changes.

I would still be selective with the parts, if able.

I've built mine up by selected Mk 1 and aftermarket parts - including ESC, motor and batteries - and (can) run 8S.
    I'm most interested in the centre diff. The 'cush drive' might be an interesting addition / requirement in the future, but I don't plan on being too rough on the driveline - won't be doing insane jumping.

I do think the 4S batteries are 2x the price they should be and am disappointed to see only 25C continuous, even if they are 6700 mAh.

Al.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I'm hoping to see if I can find a way around the core charge; my oringal VXL-6s esc's serial number matches my truck, and I would really like to keep it that way, I don't want to pay $175 to keep it, that's nuts.

I agree with Wolf I have chassis number 1001 and my original esc is matching and still running just fine. I have had no problems or out of the ordinary issues with my X-Maxx at all and would like to keep my original esc and still get my upgrade kit coming. I don't need 8s just better 6s durability. Kinda a slap in the face for us original owners. I realize flebay will have parts eventually but what about us dedicated TRAXXAS supporters that buy direct????
    Last edited by Double G; 12-13-2016 at 09:18 PM.

RC Racer
    I really don't understand all the complaints. Who knows maybe it's me coming from the yeti xl. Said company could care less about that truck or evolving it. People are getting all worked up about the 8s conversion like it's a necessary upgrade. To be honest I'm so close to ordering the upgrade kit but might hold off. I might just go ahead and get the 8s xmaxx when it comes out. I'm really curious to see how it compares to my current 6s setup, obviously the 8s will have more power but I'm currently hitting 48 mph with max6 and gearing. Runs very reliably. What if I replace my great running truck with something less reliable, a little crazier. Also the center diff will have a different driving experience. More wheelies can be fun but tiresome after a while. The point is I think the v1 max will still have a place in the market with a reduced cost of course and my only real gripe with it was the underbuilt esc.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I got rid of my VXL-6S a long time ago, so I called Traxxas and asked if it mattered if the serial number of the ESC matched that of the truck. They said it doesn't matter, so I'm eyeballing a used VXL-6S on eBay for $85. Gonna wait for the upgrade until I see some feedback on the kit, but just putting the idea out there about keeping the ESC with matching numbers and picking up a used one to send as the core. Certainly cheaper that way.

RC Racer
    Bank on lazies not sending them back = profit

RC Racer
    Can anyone yet confirm that it's the addition of the center differential that necessitates the new upper and lower rear bulkheads? After watching the running video a couple times, the center diff seems to do well at transferring power. All four tires seem to ballon at the same time, except when the truck is doing dounuts. Seems to operate great, contrary to my initial thoughts. I'd really like to try the diff when it's available by itself.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Alonjp View Post
    What a bad advice..
    The new xmaxx although will be capable of running on 8S can also running on 6S.
    The current xmaxx can't even run on 6S and stays reliable.
    I managed to break countless drive shafts pins, 5 diff rings and pinions, fride the slipper clutch, destroyed all gear bearings and more..
    All of the above should be avoided with the new xmaxx when running 6S.
    Not to mention that the old esc overheating under serious bash after less than 15min so you need to stop for cooling time..
    And that center diff is another reason to upgrade to the new truck.

The new xmaxx is the one to choose no matter how many cells you're going to run with it!
    Hey I'm just saying that he should not spend the money to send it back and possibly pay a restock fee to wait for the new truck. All things equal, sure buy the new 8s capable truck and run 6s to be somewhat reliable and 8s if you want more maintenance to do.

Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    $175 seems like an awfully big core charge. brand new vxl-6s is $152 on tower. how is my used vxl-6S worth more than a brand new one? I wonder why traxxas wants these back so bad.
    Traxxas' price on their site is $250
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Way it should of been, charge us $300 then if we send them the old esc we get $175 back

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas1990 View Post
    Way it should of been, charge us $300 then if we send them the old esc we get $175 back
    You sir are right on the money.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could set our own prices for everything?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by Max6XMaxx View Post
    Can anyone yet confirm that it's the addition of the center differential that necessitates the new upper and lower rear bulkheads? After watching the running video a couple times, the center diff seems to do well at transferring power. All four tires seem to ballon at the same time, except when the truck is doing dounuts. Seems to operate great, contrary to my initial thoughts. I'd really like to try the diff when it's available by itself.
    Yes, this is correct. You must use a new upper and lower bulkhead to accommodate the Center Drive. As soon as I get my Power-Up, I will start a thread of the installation process with emphasis on the differences between the parts.
    Last edited by E-Maxxdude; 12-13-2016 at 11:39 PM.

RC Racer
    yes but we'd all hit either $0.01 or free all the time
    Please watch the *s in your posts.
    ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-14-2016 at 11:37 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I have read quite a few of the responses in the past days and it cracks me up when people complain about the price. $300 + $175 + $5 = $480; $480 - $175 = $305. Do not think about how much you spent on your X-Maxx, just think, "If I want, I can run 8S on my X-Maxx r e l i a b l y for $305." Now for those of you that upgraded to 8S on your X-Maxx, how much money did you spend to run 8S unreliably? We all know the drivetrain parts were not available to run 8S reliably for quite awhile and I am still not certain they are from aftermarket companies.

When you really think about those two options and the warranty/support you receive from Traxxas with their upgrade package, you cannot beat the price. Look at all of the parts that you receive with the package! I have already purchased a dual blower fan, Castle XLX, spiral cut gears, extra differentials, drive cups, and have purchased a ton of other spare parts etc. so I know those parts are not cheap.

The gripes about returning your ESC for $175 are comical. Your U S E D ESC is not worth much! Think about how much YOU would pay for someone's used X-Maxx ESC! I would not pay more than $80! What Traxxas is doing is offsetting the cost of all of the parts that you receive for $305, and probably either increasing their inventory of original X-Maxx ESCs to use as refurbished ones for when people have problems with the ESCs under warranty, or using them for parts.

To pay $305 to know you have a company backed upgrade package is small price to pay for the fun I am sure you will have on 8S. The only thing holding me back from upgrading is the fact that I would need to sell some of my other toys first, AND I am waiting for Traxxas to come out with better tires to handle the 8S power. Tires are the only thing I feel are missing from this upgrade package to make it a success from the start.

Good job Traxxas. You listened to us. I am waiting to see what you have in store for the Aton.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    I have read quite a few of the responses in the past days and it cracks me up when people complain about the price. $300 + $175 + $5 = $480; $480 - $175 = $305. Do not think about how much you spent on your X-Maxx, just think, "If I want, I can run 8S on my X-Maxx r e l i a b l y for $305." Now for those of you that upgraded to 8S on your X-Maxx, how much money did you spend to run 8S unreliably? We all know the drivetrain parts were not available to run 8S reliably for quite awhile and I am still not certain they are from aftermarket companies.

When you really think about those two options and the warranty/support you receive from Traxxas with their upgrade package, you cannot beat the price. Look at all of the parts that you receive with the package! I have already purchased a dual blower fan, Castle XLX, spiral cut gears, extra differentials, drive cups, and have purchased a ton of other spare parts etc. so I know those parts are not cheap.

The gripes about returning your ESC for $175 are comical. Your U S E D ESC is not worth much! Think about how much YOU would pay for someone's used X-Maxx ESC! I would not pay more than $80! What Traxxas is doing is offsetting the cost of all of the parts that you receive for $305, and probably either increasing their inventory of original X-Maxx ESCs to use as refurbished ones for when people have problems with the ESCs under warranty, or using them for parts.

To pay $305 to know you have a company backed upgrade package is small price to pay for the fun I am sure you will have on 8S. The only thing holding me back from upgrading is the fact that I would need to sell some of my other toys first, AND I am waiting for Traxxas to come out with better tires to handle the 8S power. Tires are the only thing I feel are missing from this upgrade package to make it a success from the start.

Good job Traxxas. You listened to us. I am waiting to see what you have in store for the Aton.

i agree with you with that. im not talking negitive about the way traxxas is doing things. i just ordered the kit even though i set my xmaxx for 8s but never runned it in 8s. i dont feel comftorable with my soldering yet. especially when i have the single esc. hopefully i can figure a way to use my max 5 esc with traxxas plugs compatable with there new 4s batteries

RC Qualifier
    Hopefully it'll all be avaliable as separate parts from Tower. I'm in the uk, I sold my stock esc after one run and replaced with a max 6. I only want the diff gears and wheelie bar. They should upgraded the shock shafts too imo

Traxxas Employee Rosco_P_Coltrane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ODA7224 View Post
    Looking at the ESC... And then looking at the new batteries... I'm sure the different shape of the plugs is for balancing but I would like to know that the TRX plug fits this new plug.

Also, where's the voltage wire on the new ESC?
    The new connector is forwards/backwards compatible with all existing Traxxas high current connectors.
    Traxxas, the FASTEST Name In Radio Control

RC Racer
    oh i know but would the male connectors that we can solder on. and handle the new 4s batteries? https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-3070-...ale+connectors

My understanding is they changed the conector style so you can't plug the new 4s batteries into the other ESC's that are 6s, or lower rated than taking a 4s pack. I wouldn't persoanlly change the connectors, they will still work with the normal Traxxas ends from what it looks like.

EDIT: This is my best guess, I havn't actually seen these conections in real life yet.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-14-2016 at 12:30 PM.

Traxxas Employee Rosco_P_Coltrane's Avatar
    Yes, they can.
    Traxxas, the FASTEST Name In Radio Control

RC Racer
    Rosco P Coltrane....you must be a fan of the Dukes, there are a couple of here with Maxx's painted as The General. Nice to have you from Traxxas verifying some of the info we all wonder about with the new release. Glad to have you hear sharing info. Hang out more often!

RC Competitor
    I just purchased my xmaxx about 2 weeks ago, and love the truck. Would I have waited if I knew about the 8s version, probably not. I'm just glad there is an upgrade kit. I do see the value of the parts and esc included in the kit, and plan on getting this kit when its available. If its gonna be a 2-3 week wait, I'll just order it after the holidays. This way I can run mine until the kit gets to my door and then swap the esc out without any down time. I might just keep the new parts as upgraded spares as things break. I'll probably only run 8s on special occasions, and totally like the idea of being able to do it, but 6s really is plenty of power.

The upgrades kits starting shipping today. They will start showing up at front doors tomorrow!

Gen Patton "You’re never beaten until you admit it."

The upgrades kits starting shipping today. They will start showing up at front doors tomorrow!
    Sweet! Good to know!

Yes, they can.
    Also good to know thanks!

V Also good question.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-14-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast