Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

New 8s X-Maxx Sysytem and Drivetrain

Hey guys, Traxxas just realeased a new 8s powered X-Maxx system, with a beefed up drivetrain, center diff, slipper clutch delete, wheelie bar, and a duel motor fan. They also put out new 4s lipos and batteries, with a new 12 amp charger.

What do you guys think?

https://traxxas.com/products/landing/X-Maxx-8S/

I'm putting myself on the waiting list. Should be a fun tire blow'n time. I do wonder about the ring gears, and the new drive train parts the kit comes with. It says that they're different
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-09-2016 at 06:04 PM.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Qualifier
    Holy cow. Looks awesome! Will have to take tires off the rims and tape them if we want to run 8s though, right? Other than that, it looks like a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by AGHolman View Post
    Holy cow. Looks awesome! Will have to take tires off the rims and tape them if we want to run 8s though, right? Other than that, it looks like a great deal.
    That's what I was thinking. Those poor stock tires won't take much...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Holy crap...where to start!?!?

EDIT: not trying to point out the negatives but the charger only charges one battery? Just from observation.
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 12-09-2016 at 06:02 PM.
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Racer
    Hooray!! It was bound to happen I suppose. I just need one part out of that lot so I hope they sell separate too........
    Last edited by 3_rolls; 12-09-2016 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Language
    Open every day....

RC Champion
    If the truck came with this stock, i might of opened the box and kept it.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2skills25 View Post
    Horrey Shiff!! It was bound to happen I suppose. I just need one part out of that lot so I hope they sell separate too........
    They should. If not I'm 100% sure the ebay chop shops will sell it all separately. I don't think this is just a one package deal, I'm thinking it's just an announcement of what's new for the X-Maxx.

EDIT: I may be wrong lol
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 12-09-2016 at 06:40 PM.

You can get the new 8s X-Maxx complete with all the new features, in February, or buy the Power-Up kit now if you already have a truck. https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8s-power-up

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyTanker View Post
    You can get the new 8s X-Maxx complete with all the new features, in February, or buy the Power-Up kit now if you already have a truck. https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8s-power-up
    Well that confirms my suspicions of it coming in a new complete truck, good to know.

RC Racer
    i would like the kit minus the esc. i wonder if i could get that? ill have to call traxxas and find out

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well dang! that sucks for us "day 1" owners lol

That is why Traxxas put out the upgrade kit at such a deep discount, $650 in parts for $299.95, to help out those that already have an X-Maxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That is why Traxxas put out the upgrade kit at such a deep discount, $650 in parts for $299.95, to help out those that already have an X-Maxx
    Ok. Fair enough.

And here all along I thought the guys moving up to 8S were insane. I guess it's time to put my big girl pants on.

those driveline parts all look like the current stock parts, are they spares or actually different? lol.

and a "torque-biasing center drive" ???? DO TELL!!!
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

RC Racer
    Gotta ask........what's next?
    Open every day....

Very, very nice release! But, I fell ripped off... Less than 10 runs on my truck and now this...

Btw, when are the lights coming out??? The new release should include them!!!
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

This is great. Thank you.

RC Qualifier
    Will the centre diff slot into the 'old' bulkhead or is the new bulkhead required?

Al.

RC Racer
    It's great and sucks at the same time.
    Great because Traxxas finally came out with a fix to a major fail with their trucks (underpowered esc, weak driveshafts, no center diff, breaking diffs, motor heat), and by doing so the xmaxx is going to be one of the best trucks out there!

Sucks because they are charging us a whopping 300$ on top of the 900$ that we already paid, but on February they will start selling the 8S xmaxx for just 900$.
    That a big slap on the face for all of us xmaxx owners.

I was thinking of buying this power up package, but now I'm considering of selling my truck as it is and am not sure that I will buy a new one.
    I am feeling a bit betrayed.

RC Racer
    Give me a break this is pr stuff.
    On February they will sell the "new" 8S xmaxx for just 899$..
    So all this "$600 in parts dor just $299.95" slogan just went down the toilet
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-09-2016 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Language

RC Racer
    You can send in your old ESC to bring the price down more.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    NVM looks like a $175 core charge lol for the old ESC yikes.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by atom3624 View Post
    Will the centre diff slot into the 'old' bulkhead or is the new bulkhead required?

Al.
    I don't think it will. According to the description on the site, the bulkhead is different to accept the larger main bearings for the unit.

Already have the stock ESC out and on the shelf. So I went with the power up. Will add everything to my stock powered X-maxx, minus the ESC. Going to keep the Max-6 in it instead. Considering doing another power up to get the upgraded parts for my current 8S- X-Maxx.

RC Racer
    I'll definitely be upgrading everything eventually except the ESC. The current X-Maxx can't handle my 6S driving style for any sustained amount of time (CVD pins that snap and inevitably destroy stub axles, regular tire failures and diff issues) so the beefed up drivetrain is a welcome upgrade for me. Haven't had a problem with the slipper clutch yet. Hopefully I'll be able to drop my 18T pinion back in and not worry about destroying these parts in a short amount of time. I can't even imagine this beast on 8S since its a handful on 6S! I'm not sure why they're not going straight to a spiral cut on the ring and pinion from the start though?
    Last edited by Need|4|Pede; 12-09-2016 at 09:34 PM.

RC Racer
    so i was thinking about getting this for my already upgraded 8s x maxx. i traded my old esc in for the system i have now. so for me to get everything that i want would cost me almost 500 bucks and i would have a useless esc. just wow

RC Qualifier
    Now i really gotta get an xmaxx

I dont understand people who are upset about this, what could be better than traxxas seeing what people would like to see and actually responding with some upgrades ?

every year apple and samsung improve their phones and you dont complain that you just bought the last one

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by billyg900 View Post
    Now i really gotta get an xmaxx

I dont understand people who are upset about this, what could be better than traxxas seeing what people would like to see and actually responding with some upgrades ?

every year apple and samsung improve their phones and you dont complain that you just bought the last one
    well this is the thing. for the people that have already bought the xmaxx and done their own upgrades. we are almost having to by a brand new x maxx just to get the upgrades that will make ours not break as much. if they would have an alternate option were we could get everything in the kit minus the esc and heat sink that is not the price of an x maxx it would be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by billyg900 View Post

Quoted for truth. I'm happy to see that Traxxas actually offered something like this, it shows that they listen to what people want, which is super cool IMO.

RC Racer
    I really hope they offer all these parts "al la carte"! If the updated truck comes with these parts then it's inevitable eventually I suppose. I upgraded my ESC long ago to a Max6 and sold the stock one on eBay, so the kit would cost me $475. In my opinion, the only thing this truck really ever "needed" was a capable ESC and stronger diff gears (I'm using the spiral-cut gears trouble-free lately). I've tried a center diff on my old 4S E-Revo and current 2S Slash 4x4 and only ran each truck once before I removed it because of how much power was being wasted spinning the front tires. However, I would like to use the new cush slipper assembly and wheelie bar (or the RPM unit) though. Nonetheless, kudos to Traxxas for updating the X-Maxx!
    Last edited by Max6XMaxx; 12-09-2016 at 09:29 PM.
    X-Maxx, Slash 4x4 LCG, ZMR250 Quadcopter

RC Racer
    i might do this upgrade, even though i have a max 5 and leopard 5832. i just dont trust myself with soldering. though i wonder if it will be ok with the leopard 5832 motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Max6XMaxx View Post
    ..I've tried a center diff on my old 4S E-Revo and current 2S Slash 4x4 and only ran each truck once before I removed it because of how much power was being wasted spinning the front tires..
    an x-maxx with a center diff will out-accelerate an x-maxx without a center diff.
    if you pull full throttle from a stop the one without a center diff will flip over, so you have to feather the throttle.
    if you pull full throttle from a stop the one with a center diff will stay on all four and you can accelerate full throttle.

but back on topic, I agree with wolfslash. Use the 1:1 car analogy. when you buy a truck with 300hp, then next year it comes with 400hp I call that progress, not stiffing you for buying last year's model. plus the first version of any new platform is bound to have some bugs in it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    an x-maxx with a center diff will out-accelerate an x-maxx without a center diff.
    if you pull full throttle from a stop the one without a center diff will flip over, so you have to feather the throttle.
    if you pull full throttle from a stop the one with a center diff will stay on all four and you can accelerate full throttle.
    If I'm going to feather the throttle I'd much rather it be to keep the front end down instead of feathering the throttle to keep the truck from becoming essentially front-wheel-drive in the case of a center diff! I'm feathering either way. I'm certainly not the only one that tried a center diff and went back to stock.

Hopefully, Traxxas has engineered the new X-Maxx center diff to keep most or at least half of the power in the rear end. If so, I'd love to try it. If it behaves anything like their center diffs in the other trucks I won't be going that route.
    Last edited by Max6XMaxx; 12-09-2016 at 10:03 PM.
    X-Maxx, Slash 4x4 LCG, ZMR250 Quadcopter

there's your problem. don't feather it with a center diff. hold it wide open and enjoy the increased acceleration.
    an added benefit is that you can hold it wide open while turning since the front wheels will be on the ground to turn.

I am wondering if this is a standard center diff or something different because of the name. I notice in the video that it's still pulling wheelies, if it is a standard diff it must have some thick fluid in it.

Looks crazy powerful!

Still enjoying mine on 4s mostly, crawling and trailing, and 6s sometimes! Haha.

Great release though!

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas dosen't ship upgrade part in Canada, I will resale mine for buying a new truck.
    Stampede 4x4 1415 1Y 2400kv, 4S 5200 30C

RC Champion
    The "torque biasing" center diff means it's a Torsen diff. It won't diff out like a normal center diff.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    Well dang! that sucks for us "day 1" owners lol

It does suck ...i think the new xmaxx with the upgrades are 899.00 ....and us 1 day owners have to to pay 299.00..
    thats not right it should be a 100.00 no matter what for the people that already have bought one.........
    Last edited by redrider6575; 12-09-2016 at 11:19 PM.

RC Racer
    i agree, least for those that registered there xmaxx

RC Competitor
    It me off cause I just bought one a week ago an bam, a new updated model. Lol an the $300 deal is crap, spent 800 last week plus 300 for the new latest AN greatest? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out.
    ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-10-2016 at 09:39 AM.

RC poster
    I think the fact that it is a 100 more buying the new xmaxx...and people that already have one and charging 300 is quite pricey...i could see $150....also that leaves anyone wanting to sell there older xmaxx at a decent price kind of screws us because anybody that wants an X Maxx is going to beat us down because ours doesn't have the newest upgrades in it.
    ...all in all I don't mind paying for the upgrades. I just think $300 is a little out of control I think 150 - 199 is a fair price... just my opinion..

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast