Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Power up sounds cool. I don't think it would be a good marketing strategy to call the kit "This fixes all the stuff that was breaking and bursting into flames kit."
    I don't know about that, RC DudeGuy. I think ""This fixes all the stuff that was breaking and bursting into flames kit" would be a great name! (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-29-2017 at 06:42 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

New 8s X-Maxx Sysytem and Drivetrain

The assertion specified higher voltage and the same amount of power, and also specified that current (Amps) would decrease. I think you are ignoring that point.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    The assertion specified higher voltage and the same amount of power, and also specified that current (Amps) would decrease. I think you are ignoring that point.
    I'm ignoring it because while that's true on paper it's completely pointless. The entire reason people are running 8s is ultimately for more power, not the same amount of power. Let's be real here, the new ESC is clearly designed to handle this increase in power.

If you are running cool and efficient on 6s no one in their right mind is going to 8s to run even cooler and more efficient, while having to dive down the rabbit KV/gearing hole to do so. You go 8s in an X Maxx to run hotter, faster and with more power while hopefully staying within the limits of the ESC/Motor.

I'm happy that everyone thinks as you do. At least everyone "in their right mind," that is.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Ive been comparing my 8s batteries vs my 6s batteries directly after each other with 21/50 gearing on my X-Maxx and i gotta say 8S makes this thing shine, with 6S you can feel that you max it out but that is much harder to feel with 8S, definitely go for it if you can make the cost for 8S powerup kit or a third party custom solution that will change the ESC to a 8S compatibale one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCW-vLUD7UA

I am not bashing Traxxas, but if you buy 8S powerup and notice the strange things this ESC did according to poster its better to be prepared.

RC Enthusiast
    I guess it's sold out everywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceGavin View Post
    I guess it's sold out everywhere?
    Welcome to the forums!

It does seem to be sold out, but that doesn't mean you won't get one...
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Enthusiast
    Didn't notice till I was installing the VXL-8s, that the new esc doesn't have a voltage wire going to the esc as it was with the VXL-6s. Seems kind of silly to remove a handy feature like that. I wonder if there will be some sort of sensor to add later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #7107 | #3908 | #6807 | #7304 | #77076-4

Quote Originally Posted by jfin27 View Post
    Didn't notice till I was installing the VXL-8s, that the new esc doesn't have a voltage wire going to the esc as it was with the VXL-6s. Seems kind of silly to remove a handy feature like that. I wonder if there will be some sort of sensor to add later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is done on stampede telemetry by a coupling on batt plug. I dont see why you couldnt do the same on the x....

92.5 mph Rustler (R.I.P.)
    86.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    It is done on stampede telemetry by a coupling on batt plug. I dont see why you couldnt do the same on the x....

86.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    Yea, my emaxx has traxxas voltage sensor that clips to the power connector. Unfortunately that won't work with the 4s style connector on the VXL-8s. I could make something myself, but it wouldn't be as neat and hassle free as it was before the upgrade. It's just silly to have it missing from the new one.

Anyone figured out what the pins on the side of the VXL-8s are for?

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks WolfSlash16! Yeah, I figured it would restock, just trying to keep an eye out for it now.

Unfortunately that won't work with the 4s style connector on the VXL-8s.
    All you have to do is solder a RED 22 gage wire to the RED wire of your VXL-8 ESC, heat shrink your ESC end of your RED 22 gage wire, put a connector on the other end of your RED 22 gage wire (a connector that will fit the Traxxas V/T telemetry wire harness), assemble everything as you normally wood, and your done.

If you don't want to put a connector on the end of your RED 22 gage wire, just cut off the RED connector of the Traxxas V/T harness, and solder your RED 22 gage wire directly to the now RED connector less V/T wire. I use a Castle XLX-X ESC with my Xmaxx, and that's what I did for my Traxxas V/T telemetry setup.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Champion
    Does the 8s X-Maxx have the same motor as the 6s... it's just an upgraded ESC and drive train?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    Does the 8s X-Maxx have the same motor as the 6s... it's just an upgraded ESC and drive train?

New truck has lower Kv motor than the original.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post
    New truck has lower Kv motor than the original.
    Thanks.. I'll be ordering some 4s lipo.

I put name on an 8s Maxx at the LHS

RC poster
    FYI, My VXL-8s ESC is still not replaced. I was informed today (already waiting 2 weeks for a new ESC!) that it needs to be send to Traxxas for investigation. I'm very upset about this. I just want a new ESC.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorson View Post
    FYI, My VXL-8s ESC is still not replaced. I was informed today (already waiting 2 weeks for a new ESC!) that it needs to be send to Traxxas for investigation. I'm very upset about this. I just want a new ESC.
    Had a buddy in the same situation, be bought a HW after and gave up on the traxxas.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    All you have to do is ...
    Oh I know it can be done, just if I do it myself it won't be as nice as a clip/plugin solution like what was there on the VXL-6s. That's all.

My response was more for the older power tap clip (pre-iD) as it won't work with the new plugs. Thanks for the small write up though.

After the VXL-6s recall they should atleast be more prepared and quickly email a prepaid shipping postage paper to everyone contacting them about issues with new VXL-8s ESC and once they have the ESC quickly just send out a new non defective ESC.

My confidence in Traxxas ESC's have plunged.
    Last edited by cazrack; 02-01-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Have you not sent it in yet?
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    After the VXL-6s recall they should atleast be more prepared and quickly email a prepaid shipping postage paper to everyone contacting them about issues with new VXL-8s ESC and once they have the ESC quickly just send out a new non defective ESC.

Hate to say it but just give up on the traxxas esc's. I'm sure the vxl-8 is more robust than the older version but save the heartache and get a hw and go out and enjoy your truck and deal with other maintenance.

RC poster
    I have send it yesterday to the store where i bought the upgrade kit. They will send it to Traxxas.
    The first agreement was that I would go to the store with the defective ESC when they have a new ESC in stock so that it could be swapped immediately. 2 weeks later the store informed me that they only get a new ESC from Traxxas when Traxxas had a change to investigate the old one.

For me an ESC that worked only for 20-30 minutes is clearly a DOA en should be replaced without question.

Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    Not even making it to the VXL-8, still with the VXL-6s Im there. Their own update tool wouldnt even work, defective esc and sending me a new one out right. But its on my dime and not being able to run my new 2 month old truck. I love the X and Trx but these esc issues are very troubling.

86.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Qualifier
    If you already have an ESC (in other words dont need/want to use the VXL-8S) what I did was posted on my local RC Facebook group, saying "FREE VXL-8S UPGRADE, SIMPLY TRADE ME YOUR VXL-6S, and I will supply the ESC and the FAN). Within 5 minutes i had a taker, and he met me at my LHS, gave the LHS his VXL-6S, they sold me the kit for $300, and I gave him the VXL-8S and the fan. Sounds like you already have an ESC so this is your best bet. You could even ask for $50 or so for the upgrade, but I was happy just having the kits for only $300 since I've been running a Leopard BL5 / 1340KV combo for the last 8 months.

RC Racer
    Just bought the power up for the power train. Hopefully i will get to drive it for more than 10 minutes now. Eta next tues

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdudeguy View Post
    This does not translate to RC ESCs at all my man, I don't know what you are talking about as far as power tools. More voltage means the motor will run faster and draw more power through the ESC=more heat FACT. You are confusing things as far as a bigger battery, it's C rating and mah which gives you amps not the voltage.

The amount of power a battery can deliver is its voltage times its rated current. So a 2s, 3 Ah, 25 C LiPo for example, could deliver 2*3,7 [V]*3 [Ah]*25 [1/h] = 555 W

Again you are violating the laws of science by saying that putting more power through an ESC will cause less heat. That's impossible.

Sorry man, but you are incorrect. It's common RC knowledge that as you go up in cells, you need a beefier ESC to handle all that power efficiently. Why do you think the V1 ESC was getting so hot and going into thermal when people were running it on 6s? It couldn't handle the power. More power=more heat period.
    I know I'm a little late to this party but you really need to reasearch electronics a little more. I understand the power tool explanation wasn't the best but it's accurate. Amperage causes heat. Higher voltage reduces amperage with the SAME load. This means you have to regear or drop Kv. What they are saying is that to get to performance level you are satisfied with on 6s you are over gearing creating too much of amp draw from the motor on the ESC and/or batteries depending how bad your batteries are. When you gear down and add voltage (assuming your ESC can handle the higher voltage) you increase performance, decrease temps and increase run time. Faster doesn't always mean more heat, current draw does. This is fact and very well proven by many people in the industry.

RC Racer
    I read a lot of this thread .... maybe 70% .... I'm a "day 1" X Maxx owner and on day 2 Installed a castle XL and have run it on 6s with no issues. No offense but I like to be able to program my electronics without watching LED flashes or counting groups of beeps. I hear of this 8s up grade kit that includes stronger parts and an ESC for 300 after core charges. So I'll be into my X Maxx for 1200.00 (if I buy) to have what is now 900 if you get the new one. This is the talk mostly. I understand Traxxas is giving 600 worth of parts for 300 to comp and that is awesome on their behalf. But please tell people that the older Xmaxx has a 1600kv motor and the new Xmaxx has a 1200kv motor (I may be off a couple kv's) So people who buy the update kit are not bringing the old x maxx up to new x maxx standards. Close but not quite. It will run more efficient on 8s but if you compare 1600 on 8s (old) & 1200 on 8S (new) the new system will run cooler on same gearing. Basically if you go with the update kit you will be straining the original stock 1600kv motor a bit more. It will probably take it as the truck will break prior to the motor generating enough heat to weaken the magnets or fail due to the power increase. Traxxas has been awesome and I'm not complaining or think that are trying to mislead people. But they do have lots of people backed in a corner with this kit by making the ESC mandatory. So if we have already upgraded ESC we dont have a core to refund. So lets say 450 for the kit and we now own a useless ESC that we will ebay in hopes of recovery. Or buy the parts separately for 600 at full market price (If thats what they are)

My only wish is that the kit was offered in 3 forms and priced to suit. I'm not saying we are owed anything but at least it could be tailored to different needs.

1. Kit with 8S esc , 1200kv motor , upgraded drive line.
    2. Kit with 8S esc , upgraded drive line. (current & only kit)
    3. Kit with upgraded drive line only

This will force me (and possibly others) to wait for an e-bay chop shop so I only buy the drive line parts I need. The very thing that kills local hobby shops.
    Running on Visa

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubby660 View Post
    This will force me (and possibly others) to wait for an e-bay chop shop so I only buy the drive line parts I need. The very thing that kills local hobby shops.
    Actually CHOOSING to buy from ebay and NOT your LHS is what's killing LHS's. Or maybe the lack of patience?
    I pretty sure you aren't being "forced".
    eBay didn't kill my LHS.
    I funnel cash to that place like a fat kid (myself) to cupcakes, which is to say, I dump hoards of my $$$ into buying from my LHS, so i can keep the cash local - chances are it'll come back around - and by doing so it remains - a brick and mortar store that's survived three generations and remains a wonderful place to go for some "retail therapy".

Quote Originally Posted by Stubby660 View Post
    My only wish is that the kit was offered in 3 forms and priced to suit. I'm not saying we are owed anything but at least it could be tailored to different needs.

1. Kit with 8S esc , 1200kv motor , upgraded drive line.
    2. Kit with 8S esc , upgraded drive line. (current & only kit)
    3. Kit with upgraded drive line only

put me in category #3. you are a little late to this party though, a lot of people wanted these options when the power up kit was announced. I'm waiting for either tower hobbies or ebay, whichever has all the parts I want in stock first gets my order.
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

RC poster
    I'm from Brazil (traxxas does not ship to here).
    I will keep my vxl 6s, because shipping is very expensive.

Does anyone know a online store that has the kit?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    It does make sence, more voltage means less current at the same power output, current is what causes heat.

Yes the motor can run hotter with higher voltage because now its turning faster..

A lot of tool motors such as saws or large electric pump motors use higher voltage to reduce current draw. I switched my bandsaw at home to 240v from 120v the motor runs much cooler when doing longer cuts.., ive also effectively cut my current draw and dont pop 15amp breakers

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
    You are right,the higher the voltage the lower the amp=less heat,in the xmaxx case you will pull more amps running 6s compared to running 8s,amps is what generates heat.

RC Racer
    So are all of you 8S owners noticing if the drivetrain improvements such as the gear/pinions and axles are holding up? At the very least I would like to upgrade the front and rear diffs to help them last longer but i haven't had any issues with the axles on my 6s.

I'm just curious as to what is worth upgrading.

RC Competitor
    Hi All. It's now about 3 1/2 months since I first started seeing people get their 8S Power-Up kits in the US, and now they have finally become available in Australia! I picked one up yesterday from my LHS for AU$500, and handed over my old 6S ESC as part of the deal. I guess the positive side is that I've been able to read what everyone else thinks of the upgrade (and the new X-Maxx V2) and then make an informed decision on which way to go. Thanks everyone for your input, it has definitely been helpful! For me, I'm sticking with 6S for now (I have a MAX6 ESC) and I'll be using the upgraded parts in the Power-Up kit to improve reliability. I figure it's cheaper than buying all of the parts separately (particularly here in Australia). Thanks again

Marty

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxice View Post
    You are right,the higher the voltage the lower the amp=less heat,in the xmaxx case you will pull more amps running 6s compared to running 8s,amps is what generates heat.
    Wrong.

The motor amperage draw will depend on the gearing and the battery voltage. (Higher voltage will result in a higher RPM and an increase in amperage.)

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011