Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    RC Competitor
    Same here. I ordered a HW Max5 last night after reading about the VXL-8S issues that have popped up. I'm just going to piece together the "upgrade kit". I looked up the current version of the parts included in the kit and assuming the new model's parts are roughly the same price you should be able to get all of the parts for fairly cheap. The unknown part is the center diff but I don't imagine that will be more than $50. I figured even if I spend $150 in parts, my esc was still only $200 and I know it will handle the power without issue. I can also try to sell the VXL-6S to offset the cost some.
    X-Maxx/TRX4/Rustler/Stampede

RC Competitor
    2 reported cases of people having an issue with the new VXL-8 is hardly a reason to get all excited not to use the new ESC. Traxxas has probably shipped out thousands of these kits by now, and I'm sure they are well aware there will be a small percentage, as with any manufactured electronic device, will have some defects. Its what the manufacture does after the problems arise that should be of more concern. And in both cases I have read Traxxas has asked for the ESC's back and will be sending out replacements. IMO, sounds like is Traxxas standing behind it products.
    Last edited by Hobbimaster; 01-16-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbimaster View Post
    2 reported cases of people having an issue with the new VXL-8 is hardly a reason to get all excited not to use the new ESC. Traxxas has probably shipped out thousands of these kits by now, and I'm sure they are well aware there will be a small percentage, as with any manufactured electronic device, will have some defects. Its what the manufacture does after the problems arise that should be of more concern. And in both cases I have read Traxxas has asked for the ESC's back and will be sending out replacements. IMO, sounds like is Traxxas standing behind it products.
    Capflya may do what he pleases with his money. If he feels the new 8S ESC may succumb to a similar situation as the outgoing 6S, that's all the reason he may need. I definitely agree with you that Traxxas is doing what they can to fix any current and future issues.

As for me, I'm still quite interested in the upcoming 8S model, but am going to continue to lurk the forums and wait until some reviews come out before putting the money towards the new model Exciting times for RC! Still waiting for Traxxas to "at least" let us know when they're going to reveal their next model. Let us know the fiscal quarter! Haha

Man you guys are hating on the esc already, give it a chance. I think the next X will be a awesome truck. Untill then I will keep beating on my stock vxl6.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

There's no doubt about Traxxas' customer service is next to no one, but I have had everything what the update kit offers and much more for over a year now. I can run 8s if I want to, but prefer to run 6s. I have wheelie wheels, non ballooning tires, I have body savers, I can put in any battery I want to use, and I have telemetry RPM's...and the list goes on.

I'm sure the new Xmaxx ESC will be fine, but I don't need one having the Leopard/Castle/Kershaw set up, so why shouldn't I wait a little while to make sure that the two forum reported ESC failure cases don't multiply down the road. Anyway, I'm not a Traxxas haten kind of guy. I'm more like a Traxxas helper king of a guy...anyway, I try to be.

Nick, that looks like a nice sport bike you got there. I'm a 1098 man, and a avid twisty lover. From your picture, though, I can't make out what make/model you have. Also, Killroy, Wonder Dog was the greatest canine super hero's ever to live on Saturday morning TV. They took him off the air, because the PC crowd (even back then) didn't like the idea that he had to take a pill in order for him to get his super powers...sad.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-16-2017 at 04:40 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

I think its good that Traxxas upgrade the Xmaxx but why do they want our old (bad) ESC? it really should be 300$ and we keep the old ESC.

personally I am done with Traxxas ESC's, Xmaxx ESC issues and the VXL-3s ESC = no thanks, ill get something more configurable with better trackrecord and reputation. With that said I think its great if Traxxas continue to improve the xmaax, hopefully every year.

better tires please, 6s on tarmac with high gearing is expensive, i cant imagine 8s.

RC Racer
    While I can't speak for the 8S ESC I can say the drive train upgrades are holding their own so far running which is what I was after. I don't beat the bag out of it or jump garages but there's no wear on the drive cups which is a good start!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK31 View Post
    Capflya may do what he pleases with his money. If he feels the new 8S ESC may succumb to a similar situation as the outgoing 6S, that's all the reason he may need. I definitely agree with you that Traxxas is doing what they can to fix any current and future issues.

As for me, I'm still quite interested in the upcoming 8S model, but am going to continue to lurk the forums and wait until some reviews come out before putting the money towards the new model Exciting times for RC! Still waiting for Traxxas to "at least" let us know when they're going to reveal their next model. Let us know the fiscal quarter! Haha
    Where in my post did I say anything to Capflya about not buying, or spending his own money on a HW Max5? I was simply saying as of this moment there are only 2 esc failures (Gio, and Gorson) that I know of. Its not time to panic yet. Once the 8s comes out and more people purchase the trucks, it may change. But for right now it probably a 1-2% failure rate, which is extremely low for a new ESC. How many HW ESc's fail? Who knows, I'm sure if I dig around there are reported failures on those as well.

RC Competitor
    Sorry, not trying to hate on traxxas. I'm a die hard traxxas fan, I still have my kit built rustler that is ~20yrs old
    I just feel the VXL-6S was a dud and there have been very few reports of the 8S in general from what I've read. I thought I read about 4 people who had issues but maybe I miscounted. I was ready to have my LHS order me the power up but decided to hold off for now since these have popped up. I'm sure traxxas will figure it out and make it right.
    X-Maxx/TRX4/Rustler/Stampede

RC Qualifier
    Cause they know the old one can catch fire.so why would they want people to keep using them.this way there giving a better and safer esc for the old one and there paying u back for it.i don't like a lot of things traxxas does but I think this is a great move on them.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-17-2017 at 08:26 AM. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by Albie72 View Post
    Cause they know the old one can catch fire.so why would they want people to keep using them.this way there giving a better and safer esc for the old one and there paying u back for it.i don't like a lot of things traxxas does but I think this is a great move on them.
    I sure hope they have fixed the "fire issue" with the official recall that is the fuse wire and the firmware upgrade, No this is not a act of goodwill, the true price of the power up kit is 300$ + core cost.

They want to get rid of the VXL-6s and they are soon not gonna sell it as a spare part because its a dud.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-20-2017 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Traxxas' price on their site is $250
    250$ from Traxxas that is very expensive for VXL-6s almost like they dont want you to buy it.

This is better 153$ from a ok online retailer here https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...ra3365/p476552
    in stock as I write this.

Personally in my opinion, 250$ for VXL-6s I consider that to be very poor value for youre money, even at 153$ its not good value compared to other products.

RC Racer
    Almost like they want you to buy products from their retailers, weird.

Edit: The more I think about this, they may be the first to test out this innovative marketing scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffm1000 View Post

Edit: The more I think about this, they may be the first to test out this innovative marketing scheme.
    My guess is that Traxxas overprice so no one will buy it and as soon as the 8s version is released they dont sell the VXL-6s anymore. As for the online retailers they probably dump the price on it to get rid of their existing stock before this ESC become useless.

EDIT: Anyone that have followed the Xmaax recall history would never buy the VXL-6s ESC for 250$ or 153$. I will use my Xmaax VXL-6s after it is firmware upgraded with 4s on another RC.
    Last edited by cazrack; 01-17-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Your right. They do that to support their dealers. If they didn't, there wouldn't be any, because you/I would buy everything from them directly due to it being cheaper. Also consider, that you don't pay shipping when ordering Traxxas stuff though the dealer, because a dealer gets free shipping with certain size orders. And, if your ordering from a LHS in a state without sales tax, that makes ordering from a them even sweeter.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-20-2017 at 04:38 AM.

RC poster
    I've had my kit for about a month now, and have not had any issues. its a big difference just running it 6s, but running it 8s is even better. Although getting those big batteries out is a pain. I used everything except the fan. I preferred my Castle fans instead. If you dont want to pay the deposit fee and wait for a refund, you can call traxxas and they will give you an RMA to return your current ESC. I sent mine back and received my kit in about a week.( I did expedite shipping to them to send my ESC). your existing batteries will work on the new charger. The only thing I dont like is, You need to push the link button on the charger to connect it your phone every time you want to connect it to your app. And the app read out is not accurate. It will say 10 mins left and show current charge about 60 to 70% then a minute or 2 later its done.

*Watch the language and remove words that have been replaced with a "*".
    Last edited by Double G; 01-21-2017 at 03:34 PM.

RC Competitor
    Upgrade kit is great so far. Running 6s 8000mah 40c on the 18/54 gearing. Have about 7 packs through it in mid 70's FL weather.

Ran it hard at a construction site, no problems at all. Got about 40 minute run time, no heat issues. I don't even see myself bothering with 8s.

So far ESC is fantastic, seems really smooth as well. It's easy to just crawl along with it.

Center diff is great and no slipper to worry about is nice.

I did the HR alloy diff cups and HR diff covers while I was at it. Everything feels super durable. Very happy with the power up kit.

RC poster
    Just picked up an 8s kit from my LHS here in Canada. Funny they had no clue about the core charge.

$440 CAD before taxes and I get to keep my Old esc too wonder if I could get some money back by sending my esc back. looking forward to better weather soon!

RC Champion
    440 that's nuts. I'm curious what the whole truck will cost once available

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post

Per Traxxas: https://traxxas.com/products/landing/X-Maxx-8S/
    In stores for $899.95.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Per Traxxas: https://traxxas.com/products/landing/X-Maxx-8S/
    In stores for $899.95.
    Wow $1200 cad plus I'll probably need new batteries

RC poster

Wow $1200 cad plus I'll probably need new batteries

Actually for $440 CAD it's not bad compared to $475 USD. It's only $299 USD if you return the old esc. I'd rather keep mine if anything goes wrong with the new one.

RC poster
    Hey Patboy, where did you get it from, I am in Calgary and would like to get it.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by theleague View Post
    Hey Patboy, where did you get it from, I am in Calgary and would like to get it.
    I'm from Toronto, got it from "big boys with cool toys". Give them a call they might be able to ship it out to you.

This upgrade kit versus buying the new version, if you just look at the new stuff and price on every part you get with the new version like the new motor which the upgrade kit does not contain and so on it just starts to feel better to buy the new version directly?

It just starts to feel better to buy the new version directly?
    But, you also have to factor in what a person will lose when they sell their V1 Xmaxx. I'm sure they won't get out of it what they paid for it.

On another note; I wonder why Traxxas' power up kit don't include that (plastic rear body protection piece) you see on the new V2 Xmaxx's?

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    But, you also have to factor in what a person will lose when they sell their V1 Xmaxx. I'm sure they won't get out of it what they paid for it.
    (I already run it with 6s and 8s but this is intresting)

Well you also need 2 new 4s batteries and maybe chargers, add that to upgrade cost unless you already have it.
    Personally i think its pointless to buy the powerupkit if you dont use 4s batteries because that is the entire point with it.

Traxxas 4s battery and charger kit is not cheap and only 1 charger, no way, i dont have time for that on a RC that requires 2 batteries, i need to charge both batteries at the same time and would need to buy one more traxxas charger.

It will be intresting to see part difference between on these mixes

old xmaxx
    powerup kit old xmaxx
    new xmaxx

You can probably upgrade every part that breaks on a old xmaxx with a new xmaxx part or parts if needed.
    Last edited by cazrack; 01-28-2017 at 07:53 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ttThree View Post
    They should sell the upgradable parts individualy, because some people have alreaddy upgraded their ESC and other stuff, and they only really need stronger ring/pinion and driveshafts/cups.
    I'm sure you could buy it piece by piece.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    (I already run it with 6s and 8s but this is intresting)

Well you also need 2 new 4s batteries and maybe chargers, add that to upgrade cost unless you already have it.
    Personally i think its pointless to buy the powerupkit if you dont use 4s batteries because that is the entire point with it.

Traxxas 4s battery and charger kit is not cheap and only 1 charger, no way, i dont have time for that on a RC that requires 2 batteries, i need to charge both batteries at the same time and would need to buy one more traxxas charger.

It will be intresting to see part difference between on these mixes

old xmaxx
    powerup kit old xmaxx
    new xmaxx

You can probably upgrade every part that breaks on a old xmaxx with a new xmaxx part or parts if needed.
    Why buy traxxas batteries and Traxxas charger? Plenty of powerful reasonably priced dual chargers out there.

I also disagree that the point is to run 8s. I'm running the power up kit and the new ESC on 6s geared 18/54 with reliability. The point of the power up kit is just that reliability.

I honestly don't even see the need for 8s, it's very fast geared 18/54 on 6s. If I want to do 50+ mph I have other RC's that are much more suited for that. I'm hitting a construction site today and the extra speed on 8s would be unusable.

Quote Originally Posted by rcdudeguy View Post
    Why buy traxxas batteries and Traxxas charger? Plenty of powerful reasonably priced dual chargers out there.

I also disagree that the point is to run 8s. I'm running the power up kit and the new ESC on 6s geared 18/54 with reliability. The point of the power up kit is just that reliability.

I honestly don't even see the need for 8s, it's very fast geared 18/54 on 6s. If I want to do 50+ mph I have other RC's that are much more suited for that. I'm hitting a construction site today and the extra speed on 8s would be unusable.

You do realize that the name of the kit is

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8s-power-up

It's not the reliability kit.

And you do realize that 6s is supported of the box in current model.

RC poster

I was at a LHS yesterday.They had one. Im waiting until next month for the 8s version. Im only going to run 6s, 8s seems a bit much. Thats just asking for breakages. I learned years ago running FE boats, always get more speed controller than you need. Running things at the max it will handle, well, be prepared for repairs and something to get cooked.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    You do realize that the name of the kit is

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8s-power-up

It's not the reliability kit.

And you do realize that 6s is supported of the box in current model.
    Logic is not your strong suit. The old ESC was catching fire and having thermal shutdown issues on 6s, the ring and pinions were breaking, the slipper was melting, the dog bone pins were snapping, it lacked a center diff which allows the vehicle to off load front to back thus taking strain off the drive-train. Everything in that box is clearly aimed at correcting all of the issues related to the V1 X Maxx reliability and durability issues. The power up kit is most certainly aimed at making the X Maxx more reliable with the option to run 8s.

Ever hear of this thing called marketing? Power up sounds cool. I don't think it would be a good marketing strategy to call the kit "this fixes all the stuff that was breaking and bursting into flames kit"

Feel free to be stuck on the name though.

Logic is not your strong suit. The old ESC was catching fire and having thermal shutdown issues on 6s, the ring and pinions were breaking, the slipper was melting, the dog bone pins were snapping, it lacked a center diff which allows the vehicle to off load front to back thus taking strain off the drive-train. Everything in that box is clearly aimed at correcting all of the issues related to the V1 X Maxx reliability and durability issues. The power up kit is most certainly aimed at making the X Maxx more reliable with the option to run 8s.

Ever hear of this thing called marketing? Power up sounds cool. I don't think it would be a good marketing strategy to call the kit "this fixes all the stuff that was breaking and bursting into flames kit"

Seems we simply disagree, no problem.

Peace

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl302 View Post
    I was at a LHS yesterday.They had one. Im waiting until next month for the 8s version. Im only going to run 6s, 8s seems a bit much. Thats just asking for breakages. I learned years ago running FE boats, always get more speed controller than you need. Running things at the max it will handle, well, be prepared for repairs and something to get cooked.
    Right on man, that's what I'm doing. Smart move, 6s with this setup and you will have a fun, powerful, fast and reliable vehicle. I've been in the hobby since the 90's and you are correct, more ESC than you need is a wise choice.

RC Racer

Lol

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    With regards to 8s vs 6s... etectrically speaking 8s will be better. The higher voltage reduces heat. Ive got to work on some large DC electric syncronous motors and they are 4000v plus. DC is effected more by resistance in wires and cause heat plus the higher the voltage the lower the current.

I have a few Emaxx trucks with RX8 and other has a MM2 both run smoother on 6s vs 4... I just gear down a little.

From traxxas engineering the best bet would be to run at 8s but instead if gearing at the motor, re gear in the diffs... that will make the truck more controlable on 8s.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    With regards to 8s vs 6s... etectrically speaking 8s will be better. The higher voltage reduces heat. Ive got to work on some large DC electric syncronous motors and they are 4000v plus. DC is effected more by resistance in wires and cause heat plus the higher the voltage the lower the current.

I have a few Emaxx trucks with RX8 and other has a MM2 both run smoother on 6s vs 4... I just gear down a little.

From traxxas engineering the best bet would be to run at 8s but instead if gearing at the motor, re gear in the diffs... that will make the truck more controlable on 8s.

This makes no sense at all. I currently have 7 RC vehicles and when you run them on their maximum amount of voltage for the respective ESC geared the same it runs hotter period. Saying that more voltage reduced heat goes against the very laws of thermodynamics.

Smoother also makes no sense at all either, in fact when I run my custom build Rustler at the track I run it on 2s, not 3s because it's far more controllable and the throttle response is tamer. I will run the track much faster and with better control because it's not out of control fast.

Gear at the diff????? This is not a Ford 9 inch with your choice of 4.10 or 4.56 gearing. You can only gear at the motor on an X Maxx they do not offer different ratio diff gears.

I think I'm in bizzaro world.

RC Champion
    This makes no sense at all. I currently have 7 RC vehicles and when you run them on their maximum amount of voltage for the respective ESC geared the same it runs hotter period. Saying that more voltage reduced heat goes against the very laws of thermodynamics.

Smoother also makes no sense at all either, in fact when I run my custom build Rustler at the track I run it on 2s, not 3s because it's far more controllable and the throttle response is tamer. I will run the track much faster and with better control because it's not out of control fast.

Gear at the diff????? This is not a Ford 9 inch with your choice of 4.10 or 4.56 gearing. You can only gear at the motor on an X Maxx they do not offer different ratio diff gears.

I think I'm in bizzaro world.
    It does make sence, more voltage means less current at the same power output, current is what causes heat.

Yes the motor can run hotter with higher voltage because now its turning faster..

A lot of tool motors such as saws or large electric pump motors use higher voltage to reduce current draw. I switched my bandsaw at home to 240v from 120v the motor runs much cooler when doing longer cuts.., ive also effectively cut my current draw and dont pop 15amp breakers

It does make sence, more voltage means less current at the same power output, current is what causes heat.

Yes the motor can run hotter with higher voltage because now its turning faster..

A lot of tool motors such as saws or large electric pump motors use higher voltage to reduce current draw. I switched my bandsaw at home to 240v from 120v the motor runs much cooler when doing longer cuts.., ive also effectively cut my current draw and dont pop 15amp breakers

Yes it's correct verified here

http://www.leopardhobby.com/html/en/...50924/148.html

RC Competitor

This does not translate to RC ESCs at all my man, I don't know what you are talking about as far as power tools. More voltage means the motor will run faster and draw more power through the ESC=more heat FACT. You are confusing things as far as a bigger battery, it's C rating and mah which gives you amps not the voltage.

The amount of power a battery can deliver is its voltage times its rated current. So a 2s, 3 Ah, 25 C LiPo for example, could deliver 2*3,7 [V]*3 [Ah]*25 [1/h] = 555 W

Again you are violating the laws of science by saying that putting more power through an ESC will cause less heat. That's impossible.

Sorry man, but you are incorrect. It's common RC knowledge that as you go up in cells, you need a beefier ESC to handle all that power efficiently. Why do you think the V1 ESC was getting so hot and going into thermal when people were running it on 6s? It couldn't handle the power. More power=more heat period.
    Last edited by rcdudeguy; 01-28-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast