Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mattpopp View Post
    Since I put the Leopard motor and bigger ESC in the truck I have litterally beat the crap out of it. So much that I can not keep axles in it. I have tried so many harden pins but they all have failed. Not to mention on bad landings with too much wheel speed no ring/pinion can hold up to that. Which is my fault. But I have not touched my truck in months because I got tired of breaking those pins every 20 minutes. That is even running a narrow tire to reduce traction to reduce the stress on them.

So maybe these upgraded parts could be the key. I would like to be able to skip the X-Maxx across water again....

Does anybody know if this kit will be offered without the ESC and Fan?
    Had the same problem of breaking pins even with the stock system.
    I moved on to the GPM steel CVDs and never broke another pin since!
    Try them out

RC Racer
    What about the servo? Better servo should be part of the upgrade... And bigger tires with harder foam.

RC Racer
    ALso, battery tray sides look different.

RC Racer
    I'm hoping the servo solution is next or someone finds a a solid upgrade.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I understand why they didn't release all of this with the current one but I will pass on this "deal" for $475. At that point you might as well sell your old x-Maxx and then buy the new one. It would probably be cheaper. It would be fun to have 8s though.
    Last edited by blownZ06; 12-11-2016 at 11:01 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    YouTube X Maxx 8s . There are quite a few people on there running 8s with stock motor. It's the esc they change.

RC Competitor
    For $300 we should get the new motor. And drop the core charge for the old motor/esc to $100. What are they gonna do with all those old used electronics anyway? They can't re-sell them. Why can't we just give proof of purchase for the power up?

Boy you have got it wrong..
    Its 480$ for the power up and you will get a refund of 175$ for you old esc if you will shipped it to them during 45 days.
    So its 305$!!
    Still think that Traxxas did good?
    Thanks for setting me straight Alonjp. Yes, that's not nearly as good of a deal as what I though, but it's not incredibly horrible either. I will say though, that I feel for the guys who think they've been a little jilted by having paid $800 dollars for the first generation Xmaxx, and will now need to put another $300 into it (a total investment of $1100) to have what the new Xmaxx will have for only $900.

For me personally, I look at it this way. Last year I got my Xmaxx new for $675, and put $300 into it to get it the way I wanted. When I consider that I don't feel to bad, because I had a ball with my Xmaxx and how it's setup. I wish though, that with this new Traxxas Power up that they would of included beefier wheels. Mine are taped and work well, but I wonder how they would hold up for guys running 8s. I know that stock untaped wheels won't last long...that's for sure. Again, thanks for setting me straight, I appreciate it.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 12-11-2016 at 01:50 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    For $300 we should get the new motor. And drop the core charge for the old motor/esc to $100. What are they gonna do with all those old used electronics anyway? They can't re-sell them. Why can't we just give proof of purchase for the power up?
    My guess is that this original ESC has been such a headache for Traxxas, between the original fires, to the overheating; this is a great way to potentially get all of the old ESC's off the market. Also, I agree on the last part. I want to keep my original ESC, its serial number matches my truck. Why can't I just keep it and pay $300 for the rest? Who knows.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Racer
    I doubt the Traxxas 8s using the stock motor will compare to a Xmaxx with a Leopard or Castle motor in it. 50mph on 8s is not even touching what our Xmaxx will do with the Leopard Motor.

RC Racer
    This is just my opinion but I could be wrong. I purchased an XMaxx a few months back assuming it was 6S ready and found out it really was far from it. The esc and the diffs have been the weakest link but I have also busted up drive cups and bearings. They are now claiming this will be an 8S ready system.
    -First point, this esc will bolt into the stock location... So I am going to assume this esc is an equivalent or similar to a Max6, which can handle 6S reliably but can still see some time at 8S.
    -Second point is the diffs, which appear to me to still be sintered/powdered metal diffs, so you can count on those busting.
    -Last point is the center biasing diff, but all i am seeing there is an attempt to save those diff gears. If it works great but I have my doubts.
    I love my Xmaxx and am trying to work through the issues I am currently having but from my experience with Traxxas they tend to hype things up quite a bit and follow the "Overpromise and Underdeliver" school of thought. If i were to buy an XMaxx in February when this comes out I would still opt for the 8S system, but I believe the more appropriate name for this upgrade would be a 6S package.

If i were to buy an XMaxx in February when this comes out I would still opt for the 8S system, but I believe the more appropriate name for this upgrade would be a 6S package.
    I agree with you fully.

RC Enthusiast
    Has anyone actually ordered one yet? I just went through the whole order entry process , but did not submit. Says usually ships in 5-7 days. I think the New truck comes in February. But I think the power up 8s conversion is shipping now. Anyone order it yet?

Thanks,
    Trout

RC Racer
    I ordered yesterday. No RMA for the core like they say though.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffm1000 View Post
    I ordered yesterday. No RMA for the core like they say though.

Isn't it your understanding that the upgrade is shipping now, did it give you an estimated ship date? What do you mean RMA?
    Thanks
    Trout

RC Racer
    I'm in NH with storms coming so no rush here but my LHS is expecting the kits within a week or two. The RMA is the return authorization to send back the ESC for the $175.00 refund to bring the price of the kit back down to $300.00. Who knows if the LHS's know what they are talking about since one told me the kit comes with the motor which is not indicated on the Traxxas site. I'll post here when they update my order with shipping confirmation.

RC Racer
    wait we can get the kit now?

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, that's I'm saying, it says so right on the TRAXXAS web site, available now, in big red letters! I ordered one, says arrives in 5-7 days. The new truck is being released in February.

RC poster
    I like the upgrades, but like a lot of others, I think the price is a bit steep. I think they need to do a temp price reduction to say....$100...the difference between the first gen and second gen. Leave it at that price until the new one is available for purchase. Highly doubtful that will happen though.

RC Racer
    I don't mind the price if it can handle 6S no problem. No plans on running 8S here.

RC poster

The upgrade path I followed -just my opinion here for those that are interested

I have been a fan of Traxxas for many years. So when I bit the huge bullet and bought the Xmaxx at the beginning of the year I was a bit underwhelmed and wanted more in the way of tuning. I now have the Castle XLX system with the 2028 motor that is mounted using the piece from Kershaw. I have run it since with 2 Reedy 14.8s-8s. The big advantage to this setup is that the system can be programmed via USB and a PC with all kinds of torque, braking, and even launch control type settings that allow you to dial in all that power. That is not to say that I have not shredded diffs, stub axles and pins, blown tires off rims, and even ripped the body loose from the framework that secures it to the chassis. I would strongly urge anyone that goes to the trouble of adding all the parts from this Traxxas Xmaxx upgrade to their current truck to look at similar systems out there for this amount of money. It will give you far more satisfaction to use the funds for a ESC like Castles that can be customized in much finer detail.

RC Racer
    People love to "confirm" and "speculate" things, I'll share what I've confirmed.

To whomever asked or mentioned if the motor currently installed runs off 8S, yes it does. In fact, it will run off 12S. However is does get hot, depending on what your definition of hot vs warm is, which is different from what I think is hot and warm are. I don't know the amount of C's you can continually dump into it but I can confirm 200C is way too much, 30C is not enough. I can confirm that Graphene is incredible and has super low resistance.

I would like to speculate that these motor's traxxas re-brands are capable of much higher rip-em's than they advertise. I speculate the first RC company to figure out a light weight liquid cooling system for small brush-less motor's will lock up the next evolution of this hobby. By small I mean for RC's, Tesla has liquid cooled motor's they call engines but that's a different topic.

Watching the video posted by traxxas for the new 8S XMAXX it was very telling of that center diff/clutch they call a torque-biasing center drive. You can see in some of the video that the operator is not letting off the throttle while doing donuts, and in some cases landing on uneven surfaces while on power. So it appears that new center drive is actually just another diff. Great for not breaking things but your going to be loosing speed each time a tire leaves the ground like in a corner. Looks like a great spot to put a two speed...

I did just order one, glad traxxas ships to APO's!

I know there's a whole section about forum rules but I've yet to take the time to read it though I really appreciate the individual that wrote it. If this post somehow violates the traxxas forum laws I'm certain a moderator will edit or remove my post. I understand kids read this but this is an adult toy... I should say a toy for adults.

RC Competitor
    I dont need all of them. I will buy once they are available separately. For example, my first priority of purchase is the hardened drive cup. And canceled slipper clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by theodoredixon View Post
    I have been a fan of Traxxas for many years. So when I bit the huge bullet and bought the Xmaxx at the beginning of the year I was a bit underwhelmed and wanted more in the way of tuning. I now have the Castle XLX system with the 2028 motor that is mounted using the piece from Kershaw. I have run it since with 2 Reedy 14.8s-8s. The big advantage to this setup is that the system can be programmed via USB and a PC with all kinds of torque, braking, and even launch control type settings that allow you to dial in all that power. That is not to say that I have not shredded diffs, stub axles and pins, blown tires off rims, and even ripped the body loose from the framework that secures it to the chassis. I would strongly urge anyone that goes to the trouble of adding all the parts from this Traxxas Xmaxx upgrade to their current truck to look at similar systems out there for this amount of money. It will give you far more satisfaction to use the funds for a ESC like Castles that can be customized in much finer detail.
    I didn't order for the ESC, that's going in the parts bin.

I wonder what the gearing will be?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    So that new center diff drive won't fit on 1st gen bulkhead?thats the only one I'm interested on if it'll fit,,other than that the rest is useless to me..
    "AVENGED SEVENFOLD "

Quote Originally Posted by ODA7224 View Post
    People love to "confirm" and "speculate" things, I'll share what I've confirmed.

To whomever asked or mentioned if the motor currently installed runs off 8S, yes it does. In fact, it will run off 12S. However is does get hot, depending on what your definition of hot vs warm is, which is different from what I think is hot and warm are. I don't know the amount of C's you can continually dump into it but I can confirm 200C is way too much, 30C is not enough. I can confirm that Graphene is incredible and has super low resistance.

I would like to speculate that these motor's traxxas re-brands are capable of much higher rip-em's than they advertise. I speculate the first RC company to figure out a light weight liquid cooling system for small brush-less motor's will lock up the next evolution of this hobby. By small I mean for RC's, Tesla has liquid cooled motor's they call engines but that's a different topic.

Watching the video posted by traxxas for the new 8S XMAXX it was very telling of that center diff/clutch they call a torque-biasing center drive. You can see in some of the video that the operator is not letting off the throttle while doing donuts, and in some cases landing on uneven surfaces while on power. So it appears that new center drive is actually just another diff. Great for not breaking things but your going to be loosing speed each time a tire leaves the ground like in a corner. Looks like a great spot to put a two speed...

I did just order one, glad traxxas ships to APO's!

I know there's a whole section about forum rules but I've yet to take the time to read it though I really appreciate the individual that wrote it. If this post somehow violates the traxxas forum laws I'm certain a moderator will edit or remove my post. I understand kids read this but this is an adult toy... I should say a toy for adults.
    Good post and not at all against the rules! Non constructive whining and complaining accomplishes nothing and I see you avoided that completely!
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by PATS4LIFE View Post
    So that new center diff drive won't fit on 1st gen bulkhead?thats the only one I'm interested on if it'll fit,,other than that the rest is useless to me..
    Yes, some please confirm if this center differential fits my year old truck or not. The rest is also useless to me. Thanks.....
    Open every day....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 2skills25 View Post
    Yes, some please confirm if this center differential fits my year old truck or not. The rest is also useless to me. Thanks.....
    To me it is obvious that the new rear lower bulkhead is a requirement when adding the center diff.....

RC Champion
    Hmm I might be interested in the new release truck. Seems like a nicely refined model.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC poster
    I for one have nothing but excitement, So lost with all the complaining, Things change things improve. IMO traxxas is doing with what most compaines wont. They improve! Look at all the improvements, if its a fully fuctional center diff that should take so much stress off all the supposed pins breaking issues.For me its release is around income tax time the greatest news ever. Im so excited as soon as its released its day one order for me, If the 4s batteries are not outreagously priced i will be getting 2 day one also. I hear people expressing worrying that the new esc may not be as good as castle, ect. LOL.. Its not even out yet. Im sure traxxas learned there lesson and it will be on point and a great esc.I have had nothing but issues and horrible waiting times dealing with castle xl-2.Try waiting 4-6 weeks to get a replacement from castle, I have never waited longer then a week ever with traxxas. The greatest news to me was when i heard traxxas not using castle esc in the xmaxx. Traxxas has always been on point with any issues i had super fast repairs/ replacements. Zero complaining here Traxxas , maybe a bigger slash/revo xmaxx size, I will work tons of ot and own them all

RC poster
    100% agree with you

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by stevestern55 View Post
    I for one have nothing but excitement, So lost with all the complaining, Things change things improve. IMO traxxas is doing with what most compaines wont. They improve! Look at all the improvements, if its a fully fuctional center diff that should take so much stress off all the supposed pins breaking issues.For me its release is around income tax time the greatest news ever. Im so excited as soon as its released its day one order for me, If the 4s batteries are not outreagously priced i will be getting 2 day one also. I hear people expressing worrying that the new esc may not be as good as castle, ect. LOL.. Its not even out yet. Im sure traxxas learned there lesson and it will be on point and a great esc.I have had nothing but issues and horrible waiting times dealing with castle xl-2.Try waiting 4-6 weeks to get a replacement from castle, I have never waited longer then a week ever with traxxas. The greatest news to me was when i heard traxxas not using castle esc in the xmaxx. Traxxas has always been on point with any issues i had super fast repairs/ replacements. Zero complaining here Traxxas , maybe a bigger slash/revo xmaxx size, I will work tons of ot and own them all
    the 4s traxxas battery is $139 a piece
    "AVENGED SEVENFOLD "

Horrible waiting times dealing with Castle XL-2
    I don't know about the XL-2, but I love my XL-X (especially now with the new software). Also, Castle customer service (for me anyway) has always been great. It's right up there with Traxxas' customer service.

I told the guys at my local hobby shop today what you guys told me about the $300 +175 + $5, and then you could get $175 back when you turn in your ESC. The owner called Traxxas, and Traxxas confirmed what you guys said...man, were those guys hot. They've sold a good amount of Xmaxx's in our area (I'm the only one who has a modified one), and all the guys that had ordered the new power up cancelled their orders. I don't think they would of been as upset if they would of found out that they had to pay under $200 along with getting the new 1275kv motor for their 1600kv one. Oh well, sometimes you win, and sometimes you loose. I love my Castle/Leopard Xmaxx setup, so I'll stick with that.

I think (IMO) that the power up and new Xmaxx are a good idea. It's just to bad the launch date wasn't the greatest. I wonder how these hobby stores are going to be able to sell these stocked V1 Xmaxxs when people know a better one is coming out in February.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 12-12-2016 at 04:43 PM.

RC Competitor
    What is the guesstimate on just the parts without the esc and motor fan? The ESC will be ok I doubt it will be an XL2/X in terms of adjustment, features and maybe power.

RC poster

8 Cell Upgrade

Hey Guys. I took the plunge, ordered the power up kit, batteries and charger. Traxxas appeared to have both in stick but we will see. Will post pics when everything arrives and post some feedback. Excited to run 8 Cells in the snow.

Traxxas should put a similar 8 cell esc/motor combo into the e-revo and e-maxx. I don't have ether of those cars, but it would be pretty insane I would think.

lol, e-revo and e-maxx wouldn't stand a chance against 8s. unless you build one entirely out of non-traxxas parts (even then...).
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

My erbe is so fun on 4s i havent even graduated to 6s yet. 8s.... mind blowing thinking about it lol.

STL Missouri
    92.5 mph Rustler
    87.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Qualifier
    Same size of pine for the drive shaft 3x19.8mm

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2016...er-kit-x-maxx/
    Stampede 4x4 1415 1Y 2400kv, 4S 5200 30C

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast