RC Racer

brand new spartan trouble . teflon liner spinning

bought a new spartan off a forum . it was sealed new in box . hasnt seen water yet . the teflon liner in the stuffing tube is spinning with the flex shaft .
    yes i greased it ,like 3 times to be sure .
    i made a video . what can i do??

am i out of luck on warranty since it wasnt store bought??

the video https://youtu.be/z6m-fzzKf3A

go full screen and watch the liner . when the sound changes is when the liner is spinning with the shaft .
    slash P 4x4/cen colossus/rustler vxl/arrma kraton

RC Enthusiast
    Not 100 percent of it's supposed to spin or rotate a little bit, but just 1 question, by chance did you also grease toe outside of the teflon liner? If so my thought is the grease on the outside is making it rotate... just wondering is all... hope your able to get it resolved asap! And it should be under warranty... doesn't matter where you purchased it from.. Traxxas has a really good customer service reputation... they should be able to help you and take care of it .. --scott---

RC Enthusiast
    Honestly I have 4 Spartans and never thought of it spinning in the brass tube ... it may very well do it on mine, the only time I blew flex cables it spinning a big prop, or lack of maintenance.. other thank that I never had an issue... 2 of my boats do not have a teflon liner, as I'm using a wire drive setup... hope this helps, and again good luck! Hope you have a blast with the spartan!

RC Racer
    on a tip from someone i put some plumbers tape(ptfe) around the liner and spun it back in . its tight now and doesnt spin .

i greased the shaft very well ,a few times, thinking i had not greased it enough . it no longer spins now but the fact that it did even well greased leaves me with a uneasy feeling . if the flex shaft is too tight in the liner its going to heat up and melt down . when this happens the stuffing tube can get pretty hot too and even melt the plastic it mounts too.
    leaving you to have to purchase the whole electronics tray .

hopefully it doesnt come to that . i may just buy the upgraded stuff .doubt it even see water this year ,but if i get the chance.......

thanks for your reply.

RC Racer
    That sound it was making sounds more like the drive dog pulling into the back of the strut. This could cause the flex shaft to load up because it's not turning freely. I only say this because it only seems to do it when you throttle way up. Either you're space between the dog and strut is too small or running it like that dry, out of the water is causing the shaft and liner to get too hot.
    Just my opinion, but giving you some things to consider.

RC Competitor
    Is it the stock set up? If so, the liner sometimes does spin especially when new. I would change it to a 3/16 flex cable which you can run without the liner in the stock tube. Just saying, the stock cable will break sooner than later especially if your going to run 6S.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug825 View Post
    That sound it was making sounds more like the drive dog pulling into the back of the strut. This could cause the flex shaft to load up because it's not turning freely. I only say this because it only seems to do it when you throttle way up. Either you're space between the dog and strut is too small or running it like that dry, out of the water is causing the shaft and liner to get too hot.
    Just my opinion, but giving you some things to consider.
    stock setup ,plenty of space at the drive dog ,you just push these all the way in and theres plenty of space left over ..

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by hdurrer View Post
    Is it the stock set up? If so, the liner sometimes does spin especially when new. I would change it to a 3/16 flex cable which you can run without the liner in the stock tube. Just saying, the stock cable will break sooner than later especially if your going to run 6S.
    yeah new in box stock ,glad i caught it before it sees water .

RC Racer
    Do what "hdurrer" said. Change to 3/16 cable and take liner out. Strut will most likely need to be changed.

From what I experienced with my Spartan, mine would spin until I ran the boat. Then (I guess) the friction of the flex shaft would warm everything up, and the Teflon tube wouldn't spin anymore (until the next time it had cooled off again). I asked Areomarine (big shots in RC boat building) about this a long time ago, and they said that this was normal.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC poster
    Its a Traxxas Defect with the liner and cable.
    Instead of them updating the parts for the better at $400.00 a boat, they wait for someone to tell you to spend 120.00 for the OSE 3/16 cable sym. and more to repair the boat before you can enjoy it.
    Great boat after you do this! But now its a 500.00-600.00 RTR boat.

RC Racer
    traxxas sent me a new tube with liner .we will see how it goes when i finally get it in the water .