RC Enthusiast

Rustler Bashing Shock Setup/Upgrade

'Tis the Season and I am looking for the best rustler shock upgrade for anywhere around $50. I know this has been talked about before in another thread, but that thread is eight years old. My ultra shocks have the caps falling off all of the time, and I bent my rear ultra shock, and it ruined the entire thing, I'd rather upgrade than replace. I am okay with replacing only my rear shocks, but would rather replace all 4. If it makes a difference, the car is running on 2.8 inch badlands all around.

Thanks,

Wyatt
    Hot bodies Ve8 vs. Rustler is a bad idea.

Me on my Rustler I have mod the 4 ultra shocks with titanium plated hardened rod and aluminum cap shock, I prefer this low cost solution cause the shock work as well as aluminum after market shock, but polymer weigh nothing compare to alu, and that have the merit to dont raise the COG (center of gravity) that much.

So if ever you go for it just make sure you dont tighten the aluminum cap shocks too much... cause when they are too tight the ruber seal distorted and they leak like a spaghetti sieve.

I tight mine very slightly by hands and they never leak at all.
    Last edited by MECANIC77; 12-14-2016 at 01:17 AM.
    Good driver...Bad setup...Bad things will happen

RC Qualifier
    If you don't want to upgrade parts on the ultras (like mentioned in the above post). You can always upgrade to the GTR shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by MECANIC77 View Post
    Me on my Rustler I have mod the 4 ultra shocks with titanium plated hardened rod and aluminum cap shock, I prefer this low cost solution cause the shock work as well as aluminum after market shock, but polymer weigh nothing compare to alu, and that have the merit to dont raise the COG (center of gravity) that much.

So if ever you go for it just make sure you dont tighten the aluminum cap shocks too much... cause when they are too tight the ruber seal distorted and they leak like a spaghetti sieve.

I tight mine very slightly by hands and they never leak at all.
    Ultra Shocks actually are not bad if someone takes the time to tune them. The two biggest problems with them are the plastic shock caps and the terrible factory setup. If you have tuned them to the point where you are not able to get more performance out of your truck, then it is time to upgrade (GTRs or BBs).
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    I can't upgrade the ultra shocks, i have a bent shaft that destroyed the rear shock, I used pliers to straiten it but it didn't. I guess the question is which set of shocks are better for responding to frequent bumps and divots at high speeds an still keep the truck composed.

RC Qualifier
    If you need to replace the Ultras (i.e. they're damaged beyond upgrading), then I highly recommend the GTRs. You can usually find them new from kits for a very reasonable price. The bodies and shafts are larger than the Ultras/Big Bores.
    "Splash" ProLine Slash
    Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    I guess i'll go with the GTR's. I found a set of 4 with oil for $45 on amazon. I need recommendation on springs for handling on rough terrain, right now the truck hits bumps too hard and struggles to recover. It also really struggles to turn under any acceleration.

I also found these--https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-7665-Hard-Anodized-PTFE-coated-Aluminum/dp/B00LMJLEBM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481728124&sr=8-2&keywords=GTR+shocks

They are $40
    They look like a better value with better shafts and springs included.
    Last edited by marmarmarmit; 12-14-2016 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Power View Post
    The bodies and shafts are larger than the Ultras/Big Bores.

Yep the GTR shocks bodies are larger but the inside diameter is almost the same, the oil volume capacity are identical, and shafts diameter are exactly 116 thousandth of an inch on both shocks.
    Good driver...Bad setup...Bad things will happen

RC Enthusiast
    I'll purchase some GTRs, what is the part # for ones that will fit the rustler? What springs should I buy for bashing?
    Hot bodies Ve8 vs. Rustler is a bad idea.

RC Enthusiast
    I can't edit my post but, I found the part numbers that fit, #7461x front shocks, #7462x rear shocks, #7444 front springs, and #7446 rear springs. I have plenty of hardware to replace the old shock screws that won't fit.

Thanks for all of the help.