RC Racer

7 cell NIMH voltage when full

Just wanting to make sure I get it right here. I have a Slash 4x4 here for the grandkids. I set up the Telemetry so I can monitor motor temp and voltage in anticipation of running 2s Lipo. We'll practice with the NIMH first to make sure I have a handle on where things are supposed to be.

I've searched and seen a lot of comments that 10.5v (1.5v per cell) is where a 7 cell NIMH should top off at. This sounds kind of high to me and my 3000 mah Traxxas OE seems to hang out around 9.6v after charging using the Traxxas EZ Peak dual charger.

On the discharge side I have seen comments of 800mv and 900 mv per cell as minimums as well as "just run until it slows noticeably". I was thinking that based on this a warning in neighborhood of 5.6v would be good. Voltage should pop back up a bit after the load is released.

Lipo seems that you want to set the battery warning at the the rated voltage of the pack or 7.4 range.

The charger may read 1.5V per cell, but it would be an exceptional cell to hold that voltage after it is removed from the charger. About the best you will see is 1.4V/cell.
    Please do not discharge the NiMH packs. There is no reason to do so.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    So my 9.6v reading (1.37/cell) resting after a charge is good?

By discharge I mean in operation. No intention of manually discharging the NIMH only the Lipos to storage mode.

7 cell NIMH voltage when full

Ah gotcha. I haven't run NiMH in a while. When I did, I'd let the performance drop rather than the numbers tell me when to stop running.
    WRT to fully charged voltage...remember that almost every pack you will see today is a sport pack, not a race pack. I'd say your voltage is fine. The days of 1.45+ are past. The reason for this seems to be that a halfway decent LiPo pack has better performance than all but the best NiMH packs and is far cheaper to produce.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =