Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My off-road basher has 20/50 32p gears in it right now.

I haven't put it together yet, but my street rig will have 16/40 mod1 at first, but I also have a 20 pinion for later.

Oh, my rigs have 2200 or 2250 kV motors.

Almost ready
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    I'm not sure if my post has been made clear. So I'm running the mm2 with 2200kv motor on 50/20 gearing. Motor is pushing 183F and esc is 130F. I wanted to changed to mod1 ro allow more gearing options, I did however manage to mesh an 18t pinion, so now I'm 50/18 but have not tried running it yet. I also will try running only 4s max, where I have been running 5s.

My assumption was to change over to mod1, which would allow for more gearing options to bring my temps down if this 18t pinion does work. So maybe this clears thing up a bit. Doing the math with my current gearing, mod1 42/16 would be close to the 50/20 I had, so if I can fit a 42 mod 1 spur then I figured I had a lot more room to try various pinions, fair to say this is correct?

I mentioned what I did because 20/50 is the same ratio as 16/40 mod 1.
    I am planning to up it to 20/40 later down the road.

Same reason as you... Hopefully have more room to play with gear ratios.

RC Qualifier
    Okay I see now, so what mod1 spur are you using from what vehicle? Or if you and/or someone else knows of a list of mod1 spurs that will fit? Maybe in the 40-43 range??

I wanted to get Traxxas #3955, but my LHS was out.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3955

They gave me a Losi spur this time. I have no idea what rig it comes from. When I get home, I'll dig through my parts bin and find the part number for you.

RC Qualifier
    Oh okay, the traxxas one would work. Do they offer a 41 or 42 spur that you might know?

Traxxas does not.

I looked through my bin and I was wrong. I have the Traxxas 40t spur. The 16t pinion is by Losi. My 20t pinion is by HR.

RC Qualifier
    So I managed to get a pack ran thru her today with the new gearing, I'm running 4s smc 7200mAh 90c with 50/18 .32pitch ratio. Full packs and I checked the temps the first time about 15 mins into it like the last run and got this
    Motor - 157 F
    Esc - 138 F
    Lipos -98 F
    Bullet Conn - 102 F
    4s
    At the end when the lipos read the 3.72 per cell I got this
    Motor - 177 F
    Esc - 134 F

So I do need to come down more on the gearing, it improved but still is too hot. Which I have no hit the limit with my motor can so mod1 has to be used now. I'll see if I can pick up the parts locally first if not then I'll have them here next week to expirment and fins the core ect gearing. I did not have this issue with the smaller tires, it must be the big mx .28 bite that it generating this heat.

And also, I guess it depends where you take these temps b.c I can get differect readings depending on where I place the duratrax temp gun. Those readings are the highest values I can find when moving the gun around. Usually the hottest temp on the motor comes from the center of the can from the side, and the esc is hottest at the motor bullets infront.

Edit, does the xo-1 use mod1 gearing? I have seen ppl use a 42 spur but don't know from what vehicle.

RC Qualifier
    I picked up a 40t spur and 14t pinion. I wanted to try a 42 spur first to allow more gearing options, guy at lhs, says he is in the middle of doing what I am doing but more for speed runs, I'm looking to just reduce heat and he also mentioned that a 14t pinion is probably as small as I can go, well see.

Ratio is 2.77 right now @ 50/18 .32 pitch
    Ratio will be 2.85 with 40/14 mod1 gears

I'd like to get thsee temps on the motor below 170 and run a constant 160 if possible.

RC Qualifier
    Okay so I got a run done today on 4s with a ending pack temp on motor at 166F and 141F on esc with some 5200mah 35c packs. She seemed to have a bit more pep in her step with the mod1 gearing.

So I went from 32 pitch gears of 50/18 with a ratio of 2.77 and switch it over to mod1 40/14 gears with a ratio of 2.85. She runs good, but a good run in the summer here in the south in a month or two will tell just how well it's geared. I may need to come down one or two more teeth on the pinion but I don't think I can without going to a 42t or 43t spur first.

RC Qualifier
    She still runs upper 160''s after a full 4s pack so I still would like to gear down just a bit or even try 3s b.c she is stupid fast lol. Can anyone running mod 1 recommend gears that would fit and also gear me down?

However in the mean time I built another hitch for the slash since it's waterproof to tow boat. Figured I'd share

RC Qualifier
    Dunno if anyone has an answer about my gearing question or not.....

I would also like to ask of anyone know if the emaxx 4dr jeep wrangler would fit, I'd like to pump it out with roof rack and lights to go with my trailer. I'm currently running the 66 ford for the emaxx, so I don't see why it wouldn't with some ext mounts....??

RC Qualifier
    So this seems routine in my thread for whatever reason......out of over a 100 views nobody has comment. Appreciate it.

I wish I could help, but I've never ran Mod 1 gears... yet.

Since they are cheap, get a few gear sizes and run a few tests with your temp gun and do some testing.

My current build will have Mod 1 gears. I plan on running on 3S with 16/40 (same ratio as my regular 32p 20/50) and 20/40 gears. Might throw the 4S in just for the occasional speed run and see what happens.

Hope someone who has Mod 1 experience will come to your rescue soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12