RC poster

Mounting a GoPro?

I found this accessory http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...UFGQ#technotes

Has anyone used it? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Any better solutions?

The tech notes indicates that a requirement is the Traxxas GoPro camera accessory package. What is this?

Thanks in advance.

RC Racer
    With any mount system, there's a lot of vibration on slash unless you are running it indoor clay. I've been there done that to make a video and Go-Pro footages on RC Cars makes you vomit most of the times
    Fight on, Race on, Bash on!

That part number looks like it's for the HCG:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...w-MMP-SCT-2400

Pro-Line used to have their BlockBuster body, but they have discontinued it.

https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies...er-clear-body/

You can still find them at stocking resellers:
    http://www.rcmart.com/proline-342600...?cPath=438_996
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    This thread is very relevant to my interests. I bolted a GoPro mount to the back of my Slash VXL 4x4's body and then affixed my GoPro Karma Grip + camera itself to that mount. That solves the mounting issue and the unwatchable bouncy footage issue simultaneously.

The only problem is center of gravity is more than a little high, especially with the light that I also threw on the hood (with poor mounting results--adhesive + Lexan just doesn't cut it):

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    That part number looks like it's for the HCG:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...w-MMP-SCT-2400

Pro-Line used to have their BlockBuster body, but they have discontinued it.

https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies...er-clear-body/

You can still find them at stocking resellers:
    http://www.rcmart.com/proline-342600...?cPath=438_996
    Yeah, I think I bought the very last of the Proline bodies noted from Tower several months ago, because right after I made the purchase, the item showed as out of stock. I have yet to use the body, but it will go on my Slash 4WD this Spring.

Hi Tom, I almost bought that body a few times.

I don't even have a GoPro, but wanted the body just in case I get one one of these days.

Now I'm looking at the Nikon KeyMission 360...

RC Competitor
    There is actually one of those Proline bodies still at my LH store, Abell Hobby, painted in yellow and green. It has been sitting there for a while.
    Slash 4x4
    Bigfoot
    Vintage RC10
    Ultima

RC Competitor
    There is actually one of those bodies at my LH store in green and yellow for $40, and it has been there a while, too.
    Slash 4x4
    Bigfoot
    Vintage RC10
    Ultima

I made my own. Here is the thread...

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...oject-SlashPro
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    I redid my GoPro mounting setup on my Slash HCG VXL 4x4 today.

4.8" tires with a 9t pinion swapped in (13t stock) both for the increased diameter and to keep loads in check with 3S batteries. Lots and lots of Lexan cut away to fit those tires and to allow the newly remounted GoPro setup to peek out.

GoPro setup from another angle. Note that it's under the body now. The bolted down mount on the body is reserved for my light setup.

Under the hood, er, body. That plate is the Traxxas part from the OP of this very thread, a factory GoPro mount that requires one to hack away at the body as I did. It comes as just a blank plate in the middle and I don't trust adhesive much these days, so I drilled out some holes and bolted on a K-Edge GoPro mount. That mount is designed to be bolted to the helmet of skydivers. Also note the Traxxas optional fan atop the ESC.

The Karma Grip itself. It's touching the body/shock mounts at the rear so I can't get it any lower without some probably inadvisable cutting. Note that the Grip is mounted high with an extension from GoPro's grab bag of mounts. Without this the camera was basically at hood level, and that Richard Hammond-esque perspective probably would not make for good videos.

RC poster

What's a GoPro setup good for if one doesn't abuse it regularly?

This short edit is from this afternoon, a frigid, windy day thus my gnarled, reddened hands at the end of the video (when the car hits its low voltage cutoff).

Nice video! Does the GoPro Hero5 Black put the gps speed, direction, and G-force info on the video?
    That Karma Grip's stabilization works great!

RC Qualifier
    that speedo and g-force meter makes me a little giddy! (took my 5 minutes to tone down that sentence to a G-rating...)
    please share how you got that setup hooked up. in my dreams, i want to have an fpv setup where i can drive with my goggles and have a speedo and g-force meter visible while i'm driving.
    this video gives me hope!

RC Competitor
    I use the flat plate the gopro is mounted to in its original box. a piece of duct tape along each edge held it to the roof of the body like a champ. Didn't budge a mm despite massive crashing. Solid mount for the cost of 12" of duct tape, and no mods to the body.

RC Qualifier
    i just checked out that GoPro Hero5 Black online... wow! it says it has built in gps, but i did not see anything about the g-force. 4 hundo for that camera is going to take me some time to save up for...

Don't forget the $300 for the Karma Grip... awesome stabilization!

RC Qualifier
    i'll grip my own karma thank you very much... geeze it's going take a lot of convincing to get my wife to let me drop that kind of coin... i better get her a good valentines day gift in order to be on her good side eh...

RC poster
    Nice video! Does the GoPro Hero5 Black put the gps speed, direction, and G-force info on the video?
    That Karma Grip's stabilization works great!
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm impressed with how it keeps up with the very high frequency bouncing at 25-30 mph off-road.

The overlay is via data from the Hero5 Black. It's added in post-production in the GoPro Quik desktop app.

Quote Originally Posted by SL4SHGT8BASHER View Post
    that speedo and g-force meter makes me a little giddy! (took my 5 minutes to tone down that sentence to a G-rating...)
    please share how you got that setup hooked up. in my dreams, i want to have an fpv setup where i can drive with my goggles and have a speedo and g-force meter visible while i'm driving.
    this video gives me hope!
    Post #11 in this thread has the latest physical mounting setup. The overlay data is all from the camera itself as per the above. I really, really wish this could be used for FPV driving, but GoPro says that the output from the USB-C port on the Karma Grip does not include real-time video. That'd be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by SL4SHGT8BASHER View Post
    i just checked out that GoPro Hero5 Black online... wow! it says it has built in gps, but i did not see anything about the g-force. 4 hundo for that camera is going to take me some time to save up for...
    I wasn't expecting the G force meter, either, but it makes sense when one considers that the camera can sense whether it's upside down or not (and flip the video automatically). That implies an accelerometer and they enabled access to it.

Don't forget the $300 for the Karma Grip... awesome stabilization!
    Yeah, $300 on top of the camera. Not cheap, but I am totally sold on gimbals now.

That's just the way it is.
    You have to pay if you want to play...
    Shikata ga nai!
    Last edited by Squeegie; 01-28-2017 at 12:24 AM.

RC poster
    More FPV footage from my GoPro + gimbal setup:

!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by shikataganai View Post
    I redid my GoPro mounting setup on my Slash HCG VXL 4x4 today.

4.8" tires with a 9t pinion swapped in (13t stock) both for the increased diameter and to keep loads in check with 3S batteries. Lots and lots of Lexan cut away to fit those tires and to allow the newly remounted GoPro setup to peek out.

GoPro setup from another angle. Note that it's under the body now. The bolted down mount on the body is reserved for my light setup.

Under the hood, er, body. That plate is the Traxxas part from the OP of this very thread, a factory GoPro mount that requires one to hack away at the body as I did. It comes as just a blank plate in the middle and I don't trust adhesive much these days, so I drilled out some holes and bolted on a K-Edge GoPro mount. That mount is designed to be bolted to the helmet of skydivers. Also note the Traxxas optional fan atop the ESC.

The Karma Grip itself. It's touching the body/shock mounts at the rear so I can't get it any lower without some probably inadvisable cutting. Note that the Grip is mounted high with an extension from GoPro's grab bag of mounts. Without this the camera was basically at hood level, and that Richard Hammond-esque perspective probably would not make for good videos.
    Wow. That karma grip works far better then I thought it could. I have an fpv summit , this will work perfectly on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk