RC poster

Hello, I'm Sort of New (First Post)

So a few years ago, my parents got me a Stampede XL-5 RWD. It was awesome, until the second Titan 12T burned out in 2 weeks. So my parents got me the VXL-3s kit. From then on, it was a matter of replacing structural parts. After a little while, I got tired of replacing parts, and it went on the shelf for over 2 years. Fast forward to a few months ago, and I went to my LHS to try to get the parts to get it to run (knowing almost nothing about how to do that). Got some correct parts, got some that weren't, and after a few months of making trips to different hobby shops, and part-ordering online, I mainly have an idea of how my Stampede comes apart and back together. This is how it looks now.

I was running it around my bayou the other day, and later that day after the run, I noticed that the ESC was going haywire, cycling modes by itself; the button was stuck. I searched the Internet, and found more than one source saying to drill the button out and replace it with a bit of plastic to replace it, then silicone the fix. So I tried it. This was, er, the failed result.

So now I need a new ESC, or possibly an ESC/motor combo. I don't want to buy another VXL-3s ESC (unless I'm 100% absolutely sure that the button will never have that same issue ever again.),so I've been looking at Castle's stuff. My requirements are as follows:

Must be waterproof
    Must handle at least 3s LiPo

I'd *like* to just buy a Castle ESC, plug it into my working Velineon motor and be done, but I don't know if that's possible.

The things I've been looking at for consideration are as follows:

Sidewinder SV3
    Sidewinder SCT
    Mamba Monster 2 2200kv (Does this motor fit into the slipper clutch system? If I just need a pinion gear, I'm definitely willing to get this. If I need to do all sorts of other crazy modding, probably not.)

If there's an ESC/motor combo that I can drop in to replace my VXL system that is waterproof and can handle MORE than 3s, I'm all for it.

Thank-you, everyone that read this, for taking the time to read this!

-Bludude4
    Last edited by Bludude4; 12-25-2016 at 01:41 PM.

I would just stick with the vxl-3s esc, that way you know it'll work. Another thing is did you break in the titans? Because they shouldn't ware out that fast.

RC poster
    RCMad72, the thing about that is I don't want the same thing that last broke my ESC to break it again. I now know the VXL ESC is *not* waterproof, and I need something that is.

RC poster
    UPDATE: I did some research and bought a Sidewinder 3, after figuring out that I can wire up said Sidewinder 3 with the Velineon 3500kv motor that I have. I also bought the Castle Link Programming Adapter, an RPM Hybrid Gearbox Housing, an STRC rear skid plate to match the front STRC skid plate that I already have, and some Integy steering links. What I should have bought was a cooling fan for the ESC. I'm thinking of going with the Velineon cooling fan since it fits right onto the Sidewinder 3 heatsink, but was wondering if there were any better options out there. Please suggest them if there are!

Thanks,

-Bludude4

Integy bad.
    Velineon has 3.5mm bullets, correct? Sidewinder uses 4mm?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Integy bad.
    Velineon has 3.5mm bullets, correct? Sidewinder uses 4mm?
    I heard Integy was bad, these steering links looked sturdy and if they break, I have my old ones.
    I, uh...don't know! I clipped the bullet connectors from my VXL ESC, and I have a soldering iron and some heatshrink, but I might need help with that. I hope I can make it work. Do you know where I could get some bullet connectors that will fit my VXL motor?

I heard people were saying the Sidewinder 3 was compatible with the VXL motor, I guess they weren't saying that in terms of connector physical compatibility...
    Last edited by Bludude4; 12-27-2016 at 09:53 PM.

The hobby shop you visited should carry 4mm bullets or internet shops such as Towerhobbies. You may need to lengthen your motor wires. Try to get a good grade bullet connector. I use the one's from Castle.

After the connections are made you will have a great combo... yes I am partial to my Castle's
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

I second the 4mm Castle bullet suggestion.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    The hobby shop you visited should carry 4mm bullets or internet shops such as Towerhobbies. You may need to lengthen your motor wires. Try to get a good grade bullet connector. I use the one's from Castle.

After the connections are made you will have a great combo... yes I am partial to my Castle's
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I second the 4mm Castle bullet suggestion.
    I shall go to my LHS tomorrow and see what they have. Thanks for the suggestions!

RC poster
    Turns out the LHS I went to did...not have the bullet connectors! Not to worry, I bought some online, as well as a Hot Racing aluminum servo saver. I have next to no soldering experience and a basic pencil iron that's been abused and needs to be re-tinned...this should be fun. Thankfully I have some assorted heatshrink, too.

I foresee much bashing in your future... I have a sidewinder that is at least 8-9 years old and still working (not 10 years right ksb51rl??)
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    So here's a quick update:

After going to two different hobby shops, I went to a third one that I've never gone to before until today. The guy that was working there was really cool to talk to, and extremely helpful. He took apart the mess of bullet connectors I had tried to solder together with my 30W iron, pulled out his Haako 70W adjustable temperature soldering iron, and did a bang-up job on my motor-to-ESC connectors. I went home, put some heatshrink on the bullet connectors, charged the transmitter and car batteries, and took it out on a little bash. It's up and running! Now the next thing I need to tackle is the wobble issue on the rear wheels, I can't really go too fast right now because of it. Thanks for all of y'all's help and suggestions, I read them all and appreciate them a bunch!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If you have wobbly rear wheels, youve probably got bent axles. Get some stock replacements.
    Do you have bearings in your axle carriers front and rear. If you went with STRC carriers they probably came with bearings. If not, thats your problem. Get the bearings for the front and rear.

A set of VXL camber links would be a great upgrade to replace the plastic camber links front and rear. You'd be surprised how much better a stampede will handle with the proper camber setup.

IMO, you want a super durable truck, get an RPM 2X4 slash front and rear bumper. They stick out a long way but they provide so much more protection and the rear acts as a wheelie bar (minus the wheels, it just skids on the ground) but works great. Just a thought. If it were my truck, id go with RPM arms and ditch the aluminum arms. But thats just me. Id also stay as far away from ANYTHING integy as humanly possible. I can count on one finger how many integy parts I've owned that have NOT failed.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    If you have wobbly rear wheels, youve probably got bent axles. Get some stock replacements.
    Do you have bearings in your axle carriers front and rear. If you went with STRC carriers they probably came with bearings. If not, thats your problem. Get the bearings for the front and rear.

A set of VXL camber links would be a great upgrade to replace the plastic camber links front and rear. You'd be surprised how much better a stampede will handle with the proper camber setup.

IMO, you want a super durable truck, get an RPM 2X4 slash front and rear bumper. They stick out a long way but they provide so much more protection and the rear acts as a wheelie bar (minus the wheels, it just skids on the ground) but works great. Just a thought. If it were my truck, id go with RPM arms and ditch the aluminum arms. But thats just me. Id also stay as far away from ANYTHING integy as humanly possible. I can count on one finger how many integy parts I've owned that have NOT failed.

I'm running MIP steel CV shafts in the rears, with some Traxxas aluminum axle carriers in the front and rear, so I have bearings on all four wheels. I have aluminum camber links in the front, just not in the rear. The front wheels have a fair bit of toe in and a few degrees of negative camber. The rear stance is pretty much stock. I have an RPM gearbox that I still have to install, but once it's on I can adjust the rear wheel toe-in at the transaxle A-arm mounts.

Right now, I have a blue RPM wide front bumper and a Traxxas adjustable wheelie bar with the upgraded rubber wheels and bearings, and it seems to be working decently. I might get a Slash bumper, but I like my current wheelie bar.

I got a set of RPM arms at one of the hobby shops that ended up being a bust, and they were the wide version, for which I did not have matching camber and toe links. I might pick up a pair of normal-size RPM A-arms online off their site. Then I'd also have to get RPM A-arms in the rear.

So far, the Integy roll cage has held up decently. It's held up better than the adhesive holding the Sidewinder 3 on. BTW, how do y'all mount your sidewinders?? Do any of y'all have a Racers Edge Machine chassis, and if so, how are your electronics mounted to it? Also, I sort of bought the chassis without checking to make sure the roll cage fits properly, so if anyone has any information on that, it'd be much appreciated. I still have to dink with it.

I also bought a Traxxas 3s 5000mAh LiPo for $80 at my hobby shop, but it has the iD connector which I DON'T THINK is compatible with my Dynamite Prophet Sport LiPo charger, anyone that knows otherwise please tell me. I was thinking of returning the battery tomorrow and getting a z i ppy 3s off of online or something. I hear they're really good packs for the price.

Cheers,

-Bludude4
    Last edited by Bludude4; 07-01-2017 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bludude4 View Post
    So a few years ago, my parents got me a Stampede XL-5 RWD. It was awesome, until the second Titan 12T burned out in 2 weeks. So my parents got me the VXL-3s kit. From then on, it was a matter of replacing structural parts. After a little while, I got tired of replacing parts, and it went on the shelf for over 2 years. Fast forward to a few months ago, and I went to my LHS to try to get the parts to get it to run (knowing almost nothing about how to do that). Got some correct parts, got some that weren't, and after a few months of making trips to different hobby shops, and part-ordering online, I mainly have an idea of how my Stampede comes apart and back together. This is how it looks now.

I was running it around my bayou the other day, and later that day after the run, I noticed that the ESC was going haywire, cycling modes by itself; the button was stuck. I searched the Internet, and found more than one source saying to drill the button out and replace it with a bit of plastic to replace it, then silicone the fix. So I tried it. This was, er, the failed result.

So now I need a new ESC, or possibly an ESC/motor combo. I don't want to buy another VXL-3s ESC (unless I'm 100% absolutely sure that the button will never have that same issue ever again.),so I've been looking at Castle's stuff. My requirements are as follows:

Must be waterproof
    Must handle at least 3s LiPo

I'd *like* to just buy a Castle ESC, plug it into my working Velineon motor and be done, but I don't know if that's possible.

The things I've been looking at for consideration are as follows:

Sidewinder SV3
    Sidewinder SCT
    Mamba Monster 2 2200kv (Does this motor fit into the slipper clutch system? If I just need a pinion gear, I'm definitely willing to get this. If I need to do all sorts of other crazy modding, probably not.)

If there's an ESC/motor combo that I can drop in to replace my VXL system that is waterproof and can handle MORE than 3s, I'm all for it.

Thank-you, everyone that read this, for taking the time to read this!

-Bludude4
    I watched where someone drilled out the button on his ESC for same reason. I was kind of a suprise because it was darkcliptheart. He ended up replacing his too. How can anyone think that would fix a problem of being stuck is way beyond me. Good luck with your rebuild. Looks to have great potential!
    Choose Life !!!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    With the original velineon esc, that was the ticket to fix the problem, and many did it successfully. The new 4 pole system does not have this issue. And the velineon esc is waterproof....
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...