RC Qualifier

Michaelsjo's Stampuggy

Borrowed (stole) my son's spare chassis and some parts, bought some new stuff, and started putting together my own Stampede I want to make a lightweight version, while still being quite strong. XO-1 diffs, ProSpline axles, GTRs, Traxxas hubs etc and motor mount, STRC towers and linkage. And:

TWorks titanium turnbuckles all around (including the sway bar ones). Not many grams saved, but looks cooler IMHO.

HobbyWing EzRun 3660 (just needed to remove parts of the ESC mount screw holes on the chassis to make it fit - very easy) with an EzRun MAX10 SCT 120A ESC. On 3S it has more power than I'm comfortable with. I mounted an Orion Vortex VDS2-HV 1605 servo which is absolutely perfect for any Stampede - waterproof @ 0,05 sec/16 kg. I'm keeping the center driveline stock for now and hope it holds. I have a Tekno shaft and HR steel spur/slipper on stand-by, but they are waaaaayy heavier than stock.

I'll be running it without body (only with a Dusty Motors shroud), which means that the shock towers will take the hit whenever I flip the car. In an effort to save the precious aluminium I used some stock Slash body mounts, flipped then back-to-front, and cut away the excess. When the car flips, these plastic parts will (hopefully) take most of the abuse instead Furthermore, instead of mounting the shocks and standoffs with separate screws I've use long steel screws all the way through, hoping that this will make this weak part somewhat stronger.

The wing mount is the exact same solution that I did on my STRC Backslash: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post6067564

I'll post more pics as soon as I get the last bits together.
    Summit, Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I forgot - I also did the Emaxx "long pin" mod to the caster blocks - a small but really great mod! A huge thank you to whoever invented it!

I bent the antenna tube inwards a bit so that whenever I flip, it naturally bends further inward. It will also help keep the front of the shroud up in order to give it a "cab forward"-ish appearance.

Oh, and I'm intentionally trying to avoid having to use a wheelie bar. But if I can't keep the car planted I'll try to fashion a small version. I really don't want to revert to a stock Stampede bar - it's almost as big as the rest of the truck.
    Last edited by michaelsjo; 12-29-2016 at 08:34 AM.

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    looking sharp! waiting to see more pics
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

That looks great! Why aren't you going to run it with a body?

RC Qualifier
    Done I believe I'm going to need a stronger slipper and I've read comments on this forum about "Revo-spec" and "Revo slipper" but I don't know what parts to get. #5351 and #5352R?

Quote Originally Posted by RCMad72 View Post
    That looks great! Why aren't you going to run it with a body?
    I would prefer a cab-forward buggy body, but since I don't know any bodies that would give a snug fit I reckon I'd have to use the shroud anyway (I run mostly in gravel/sand and want to avoid filling the chassis tub with such elements). And if I'm using a shroud I can't mount a body directly to the chassis. And if I have to mount a body to the shock towers I'm basically back to stock body height, which is exactly what I wanted to avoid.

That said - does anyone know a buggy body that would fit the Stampede chassis?

Thanks!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsjo View Post
    Done I believe I'm going to need a stronger slipper and I've read comments on this forum about "Revo-spec" and "Revo slipper" but I don't know what parts to get. #5351 and #5352R?!

Good info here

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...85#post6148985

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Boulderpede!

Replace the bearing adapter too. The revo slipper setup is aluminum and aluminum doesnt like high heat so tighten slipper down fully, then back off 1/4. I ran mine fully tightened then eventually just went to a slipper eliminator...

STL Missouri
    92.5 mph Rustler
    87.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the tip! I already have the aluminium bearing adapter, and I'll do my best to set the slipper so that it does its job properly