RC Qualifier

Rustler upgrade to Castle brushless

A few month ago I bought a used, stock rustler. I just upgraded it to the Castle SV3 Sidewinder SCT brushless kit. The only change I made previously was to replace the bushings in the wheel hubs with bearings. It was the first time I've swapped out an ESC & motor and it went well overall. A couple of things I ran into:

1. When programming the ESC to the TX, it kept thinking forward command from TX meant reverse. I noticed this because the LED colors I expected to see based on the Castle instructions didn't match what I was actually seeing (saw red LED when squeezing trigger when I should have seen green). Also, I noticed that when I was going forward and tried to brake, it immediately went in reverse instead of stopping first. I re-programmed my transmitter to invert its behavior and all was good.

2. Securing the ESC to the chassis.
    The kit didn't come with any double-sided tape or velcro. It did come with the 2 small zip-ties for the fan that was supposed to go onto the motor (which I haven't installed yet because it doesn't really fit with the stock gearbox). I started out using these 2 small zip ties, however, the broke at some point during my test runs outside, so I'll need to find another solution. I don't want to use larger/wider zip ties because then they start to obstruct the cooling fan too much. I'll have to track down some velcro or double-sided padded tape.

3. Securing the on/off switch.
    Again, no double-sided tape or velcro was included to secure it. I tried a zip-tie solution which appeared to be working OK until the other 2 zip-ties broke.

With stock gearing & 7-cell NiMH pack, I took it out for a test run. I used an old Droid Incredible with a GPS speedometer app. I had it zip tied to the front shock tower and was able to orient it in a way to even record the run, although it didn't end too well. It seems like this truck has some issues with distance between the RX & TX. I seem to lose control at around 250 ft away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYh6rzYiCJE
    --------------------
    MizzouMan2000
    ---Go Tigers!

RC Enthusiast
    Rpm makes a kit to secure the esc. You'll also need to buy the traxxas esc plate from a vxl rustler. I run the same setup but with 2s Lipo. It's a nice system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, so I need to buy 2 more parts to secure the ESC? The ESC fits nicely on the existing platform, but there are no holes in the ESC to attach it to the platform.
    --------------------
    MizzouMan2000
    ---Go Tigers!

RC Qualifier
    I found the RPM kit on Tower Hobbies. Says it'll fit the XL-5 Rustler, which mine is. So wouldn't think I would need the ESC from the VXL Rustler.
    --------------------
    MizzouMan2000
    ---Go Tigers!

RC Enthusiast
    Don't need the esc you need the vxl plate. P/n#3725

RC Enthusiast
    The vxl version plate is wider than the xl-5 version. The rpm cage was made to fit the wider plate

Double stick tape or Shoo Goo works just fine without spending money on parts. The ESC cage is also limited to certain ESC's if I remember correctly.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC poster
    Don't spend any more money, like JerrysMaxx said use double side tape or I like the industrial type Velcro. It hold great and you can remove it with ease when needed.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ejs04 View Post
    Don't spend any more money, like JerrysMaxx said use double side tape or I like the industrial type Velcro. It hold great and you can remove it with ease when needed.
    Yeah I've noticed that being done on some other RCs, but they're smaller and not going 40+ mph.
    --------------------
    MizzouMan2000
    ---Go Tigers!

I run 2 Rustlers 2 Stampedes and a Bandit all double stick taped. All have Castle or Tekin combo's and none are slow. They jump, flip, slide and sometimes I like to drive them with the wheels on the ground
    No issues with the ESC's not holding
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC poster
    I hear ya, and I don't have a vehicle that goes less than 40 I can assure you. I'm talking the Velcro that has "hook and hook" not the cheap hook and loop stuff. I run it on my B4 race buggy infact I use it to hold my bodies on some of the vehicles as I hate body clips.
    ***Character limit reached :-D***

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the feedback!
    --------------------
    MizzouMan2000
    ---Go Tigers!