RC Enthusiast

Major wheel wobble

So... Got the MIPs on, seems to be really smooth. I adjusted the slipper and the spur gear. Runs nice and smooth with no wheels. I add the Mashers and it seems to be very "bumpy", specifically at lower speeds. Or if I hold it, run full speed, then let off, as it slows, it becomes very rough. Any ideas?

RC Enthusiast
    I put the talons back on, same thing. But with the tires off, it's smooth.

RC Qualifier
    Some wobble is normal for unbalanced wheels. Do you think your foams are wet?

RC Enthusiast
    I don't think so, especially since the talons are doing it too. Something in the relationship between the MIPs and the tires

RC Enthusiast

RC Enthusiast
    There was a little bitty washer between the outside bearing and the hex hub, that was not shown in the MIP diagram, so I did not put it back. I wonder if it could be something as simple as that

RC Enthusiast
    Idk what's up with it

RC Racer
    Very rare to find tires that are perfectly balanced. When it's running, the weight of the truck smooths it out w bit when driving.

RC Enthusiast
    Understood. This seems severe. When the truck rolls to a stop, it's like something is broken. Also, before the MIP's the Mashers didn't do this, so they were balanced enough then. They also don't do it in the front

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rml333 View Post
    There was a little bitty washer between the outside bearing and the hex hub, that was not shown in the MIP diagram, so I did not put it back. I wonder if it could be something as simple as that

I just put MIP xduty on my p4de. Did you get the xduty?

There were 2 additional spacers that came with the rear kit that didn't come with the front.

One to go in between the bearings and the other to go first on the axel.

Parts # 10127 and 10119

Sounds like you left at least one of those off.

Put it on and see if it helps.

RC Enthusiast
    I put the one between the bearings in... Not sure on the other. I'll check

RC Enthusiast
    I'm 99% sure I didn't have the 10119 in the package, so I used the ones that were previously on it. I took those off last night

RC Enthusiast
    I'm 99% sure I didn't have the 10119 in the package, so I used the ones that were previously on it. I took those off last night

RC Enthusiast
    I put the 10119 washers back on and reinstalled the bearing spacer and bearings. We'll see... I'm not hopeful. Did anyone watch the video above? Runs smooth without wheels, really chunky with them

RC Enthusiast
    The only other thing I can think of is the blue center drive shaft part # 6755 is slightly bent when I roll it. I'm wondering if the additional weight of the Mashers and MIPs is accentuating that.

Have you seen this thread? Has to do with incorrect phasing of the axles causing vibration.

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...t-phasing-quot

And yeah... A bent center driveshaft can sound and feel pretty horrible.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rml333 View Post
    I put the 10119 washers back on and reinstalled the bearing spacer and bearings. We'll see... I'm not hopeful. Did anyone watch the video above? Runs smooth without wheels, really chunky with them
    Did the washer do the trick?

RC Enthusiast
    Well... I pulled the bent center drive shaft out and reassembled it to run like a 2WD, still no luck. I put the washers on, no luck there. The only way I've bee able to stop it so far is to change the angle of the CVD's by lifting the wheels up and bringing them closer to the chassis. When I do that, the problem goes away. As soon as I let the wheels hang back down, it starts clunking again. Also, the back wheels seem to be towed in quite a bit. maybe that's it too. Getting some kind of rubbing or interference. I know the center shaft needed replaced, so I ordered that. I'm hoping between that and adjusting the angle, this will just be a happy memory. The only good news is that I'm not near as intimidated as I was working on this truck. I appreciate all of the help here. I'm learning quickly.

RC Racer
    I'm having a similar issue and haven't had much time to sort it out. It is so bad I can't even drive it. Started during a session in a parking lot - no jumping or wrecks - just out of the blue.

RC Enthusiast
    I hear you Scott. It's wearing me out. I've got some new parts coming in today. I have no idea how to solve this problem.

The only things I can think of that would cause this much wobble are busted bearings, water in the foam inserts, or out of balance tires.
    Swear I didn't hit it
    That mailbox must've moved

RC Enthusiast
    I understand. The crazy thing is, when I put the talons back on, they do it too. And I've used them for years. Also, when I put the mashers on the front, they don't do that. The only difference, is that I put the MIP's on the back.

Well it sounds to me like the MIP's are causing an issue
    Swear I didn't hit it
    That mailbox must've moved

RC Enthusiast
    I think so too... I just don't know how to fix it. I'll put the new center drive shaft and slipper bearing / bearing carrier in tonight. Then troubleshoot from there.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by czlynx View Post
    Have you seen this thread? Has to do with incorrect phasing of the axles causing vibration.

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...t-phasing-quot

And yeah... A bent center driveshaft can sound and feel pretty horrible.
    Have you made sure your MIPs are phazed? Look at the thread czlynx pointed to, or more specifically, this post:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5787892

The phazing is important, and it's why the stock (plastic) axles can only be assembled in-phaze It might not solve your issue, but it's still important for both performance and durability
    Summit, Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    Guess it's worth a shot. It doesn't cost me anything to try!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsjo View Post
    Have you made sure your MIPs are phazed?
    You are a money saver!! I was about to buy new knuckles, bearing and axles. 5 minutes and it's running just as before!

THANK YOU!!

RC Qualifier
    I'm happy it worked out
    Summit, Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    The main thing that fixed my problem was lowering the shock positions.