RC Racer

Lightbulb New Custom HD BUMPER

I finally came up with a HD Impact Bumper that will protect the Teton suspension and steering! It is a bit wider than the tires because tires turn! The rubber D-Shape cushions at very front of bumper (mounted with countersunk screws) should lessen the force to the frame of the Teton. I used 1/8" aluminum flat bar riveted to 1/8x3/4x3/4 aluminum angle. The flat bar has been customized and widens out to bumper as it must be about 1" wide underneath to clear the A arms. The flat bar is not bent and this should help with impact. You need to leave some room for the wheels to turn, and I have a bit extra beyond that. The front countersunk screw mounted underneath is #8 x 5/8" and mounts to bottom of old bumper (shorter crew not good). The other screw further back is #8 x 1/2" and only goes thru thin body frame, any longer and it may interfere with driveshaft (both screws also siliconed) --- it's further back to avoid differential area! The bumper is not perfectly straight as I was in pain while doing this. The angle is mounted above flat bar for clearance. There should be enough clearance for me as I don't jump the Teton but need it for many concrete structures in underground parking, otherwise I could add a few more springs as per my thread: https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-Shock-Springs. The T-Bone bumper is not wide enough as wheels are exposed and you could crash causing problems!, and they don't stock any, they wait for 35+ orders before making them and shipping them!. The stock Teton Bumper is too small and flimsy---see flimsy uprights in pic. I am not interested in racing and don't want to spend a pile of money every time I crash it!

Last edited by BigAL12; 01-01-2017 at 07:54 PM.
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC Racer

Exclamation Bent a Bit, but NO Damage

Just took it out on it's first run and although it seems a bit low, when you hit the gas it goes higher. I did crash it a few times and the bumper bent up, right by the undermount screw where it is narrowest.
    Guess the 1/8" isn't thick enough, especially at this narrow part. It was fairly easy to bend back but doing this repeatedly will be a problem.
    I could mount an extra layer around this area, and use a longer screw. Gonna ponder this for a week.
    Good news: even after a few good hits, nothing damaged!
    Steering this thing at some speed is not easy, especially in between parking spots when it is out of view for a few seconds, leading to crash. It's hard to judge a turn and miss a cement pillar!
    I will always give you proper feedback!
    If I had the T-Bone Bumper, I may be able to make it wider with some cushioning!
    Last edited by BigAL12; 01-02-2017 at 07:33 PM.
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC Racer

T-Bone Bumper Modified

The T-Bone Front Bumper finally came in. I noticed it is very flexible, was hoping for a bit sturdier. Because of this I added another screw underneath to give it more strength and raise it up a bit.
    I added a very thin plastic angle to T-Bone via 2 small bolts. Each of the 2 D-Bumper weatherstripping cushions are mounted with 2 screws, 1 is through T-Bone bumper and 1 through the angle (for added stiffness/strength) as well as black siliconed. This T-Bone bumper, added plastic angle and weatherstripping D-Bumpers are very light, not like the previous aluminum attempt.
    The T-Bone Bumper is angled a bit, hence the D-Bumpers are slightly pointing down.
    On a hit, the whole assembly will bend up due to it's flexibility, clearance to ground is fine, and wheel turning clearance is great.
    I just did this today, have to wait 1-2 days to try it (silicone needs drying).
    This will solve all my problems and protect the steering and suspension!

🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

My god what do you need a bumper like that for
    "Drive it like you stole it"

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrocrazy66 View Post
    My god what do you need a bumper like that for
    For the 4th time, the stock Teton bumper is flimsy, not giving much protection, resulting in expensive repairs (read: https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...about-upgrades ). I've bent shocks just from a wheel hitting my foot ($25 repair Canadian). I drive in underground parking lot with many concrete posts. Sometimes I drive around vehicles (out of sight) and hit a concrete pillar). I'm not interested in buying shocks, suspension parts, driveline parts and steering parts as a result of a crash. With this bumper all those problems are solved! It is not easy steering Teton at speed to avoid concrete especially since underground parking is dusty and sometimes wet. I also have lost control due to lack of transmitter range resulting in a crash. Most range i've got is 120 ft with good batteries , sometimes less if I carry my camera (good thing I don't have a cell phone) or am in a very public place like a park. I'm interested in longevity and saving money over time, not speed (although these added items are very light). I don't drive thru grass or gravel.
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC Enthusiast
    That first one kinda looks like an old window washer squeegee �� but hey whatever works to save $$$ . Good job

I think you did a great job on the bumper and the diagrams! Thanks for posting your ideas.

My son destroyed a servo just messing around in the basement... Something like this looks handy in that kind of environment.

Why you do that? Your huge bumper won't do any good for rock climbing.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpasl View Post
    Why you do that? Your huge bumper won't do any good for rock climbing.
    READ my post # 5
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

Quote Originally Posted by BigAL12 View Post
    READ my post # 5
    Sometimes people kid other people.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer

Cool Widened Bumper + Stiffened T-Bone

Had to Widen Bumper to 9.25" as I had a crash cutting a corner (see damaged front corner). The pin that holds "A" arm also popped out --- don't know how this could happen, but it's not the first time, and everything else was good (drive line popped out, and steering good). I also had to make the T-Bone bumper stiffer by siliconing a flat piece of plastic (cut the angle) and that was a success. It is not easy steering and it tends to spin out as rear loses traction. The ground clearance is OK but I still may add a couple of coil springs as per https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-Shock-Springs . This may also help handling and turning.
    I did crash it a few times at med speed and no ill effects!
    I added about an inch on each side which required 2" of angle for support on each side as I didn't want to start over. I got the angle piece (can't get these easily anymore) from 1 of my 2 15" subs in Car (see top, just under cover)! I used to DJ weddings with them!
    I may re-do it later with 1 piece of angle and move the bigger D-Bumper cushions out further, eliminating the 1" additions.

Last edited by BigAL12; 01-19-2017 at 08:38 PM.
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC Racer

Lightbulb Added Coil to Shocks

Just added another 1.5 Coils in front to raise and stiffen front, and noticed a bent shock, must have happened on previous crash. Had a spare shock kicking around. Not much left of stock bumper!
    How to add coils: https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-Shock-Springs

🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC Racer
    Took it out this morning. Had a few good speed crashes, even on 1 side of bumper as it caught corner of cement pillar. It just bounced backed and carried on with no damage.
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

Quote Originally Posted by BigAL12 View Post
    Had to Widen Bumper to 9.25" as I had a crash cutting a corner (see damaged front corner). The pin that holds "A" arm also popped out --- don't know how this could happen, but it's not the first time, and everything else was good (drive line popped out, and steering good). I also had to make the T-Bone bumper stiffer by siliconing a flat piece of plastic (cut the angle) and that was a success. It is not easy steering and it tends to spin out as rear loses traction. The ground clearance is OK but I still may add a couple of coil springs as per https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-Shock-Springs . This may also help handling and turning.
    I did crash it a few times at med speed and no ill effects!
    I added about an inch on each side which required 2" of angle for support on each side as I didn't want to start over. I got the angle piece (can't get these easily anymore) from 1 of my 2 15" subs in Car (see top, just under cover)! I used to DJ weddings with them!
    I may re-do it later with 1 piece of angle and move the bigger D-Bumper cushions out further, eliminating the 1" additions.

that bmper looks SOOOOOOOOOOOO bing on that little truck

RC Racer

Lightbulb RE-DO Everything

I have had to re-do everything again, and this will be the 1. The custom bumper was only 1 piece of angle with some doubled up extensions. The Angle has 3 sections on each side. I trimmed the bottom one down to 2 sections to allow more absorbing action from the D-Shape weatherstripping, but I did not trim it down to 2 sections very good and I wandered from the line causing a weak point and a crack which eventually lead to breakage in middle of bumper (firstpic). This breakage broke the front body end (may have to cut this part away on new body) of the TETON, especially since there was not much left of the stock bumper (2nd pic) which has really deterated with cracks. I bought a new stock bumper and DOUBLED UP on the plastic angle and trimming it much better. I also bought a new body (new thread) . 2 pieces of plastic angled were siliconed together for strength and mounted to the T-Bone Bumper. I found the T-Bone Bumper still a bit flimsy so I added another piece on top of other one and finishing a bit further back for extra strength. Overall width is now 9", 1/4" shorter (took another piece of speaker box and cut it in half, extending D-Shape slightly to get to 9"). The D-Shape weather stripping is only siliconed on now.
    The doubling up, extra re-inforcement piece plus new stock bumper should now make this indestructable around my underground parking garage full of cement pillars! However I will be moving April 1 to better + cheaper place with no underground parking and may sell the TETON

🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC Racer

Exclamation ADDED 1 More "D" + Painted

While painting my bumper flat black to cover screws and white backing, I was not pleased with the GAP at the very front, so I added 1 more "D" between the screws. Since this 1 is narrow, I added some more weatherstripping inside it to make it stronger. I am concerned of hitting the corner of a wall or concrete pillar head on. This will add some protection.

🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

Customize your RC is very cool. Now it looks like Mad Max vehicle. You can add machine guns and rockets.

RC Racer

Cool Crash videos

Made a few short Videos to show you how Bumper absorbs hits and keeps on going after! Goes fullscreen. There are leaves and debris on ground kicking up but no damage to TETON! Did these videos on same run!

http://vid1049.photobucket.com/album...on/Crash_1.mp4

http://vid1049.photobucket.com/album...on/Crash_2.mp4

http://vid1049.photobucket.com/album...on/Crash_3.mp4
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

Wow, that is tough truck. Great for bashing so hard.

RC Racer

Unhappy Trimming and Stiffening

Noticed a bit of damage to front of body just below the headlights and grille decals. The stock bumper has slightly bent back in to the body (this is a normal problem with stock bumper). I cut the body just below the front headlight/grille so bumper clears body to prevent body cracks. I also added another flat piece again (with silicone) to where T-Bone Bumper meets bottom of stock bumper (already added a second piece earlier in post 15). With the T-Bone bumper being so flimsy, the top of where T-Bone bumper meets my custom bumper hit the top of stock bumper pushing it back in to body, i'd rather have it hit at bottom first or at least at same time as top so pressure is relatively even distributed between top and bottom of stock bumper, hence 3rd piece added. You can see where Screws at top of T-Bone bumper hit the stock bumper (Hit in pic). Looks like I may have to trim it a bit better, hard to do with scissors, but then again, I will be selling it.

🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC Racer

Arrow SOLD, Leaving Community

SOLD! $80 Canadian with new painted body as per: https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...th-Pro-Graphix
    Hope you enjoyed my posts and learned something. I had my fun and am moving to a new building with no underground parking and library on ground floor. I don't think this vehicle would be appreciated with me chasing people with books around. I want to stay at my new place. This vehicle is going to a younger person and the 50% throttle as well as damage proof bumper is appealing.
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴