RC Competitor

Lightbulb Alloy Gearbox 6880~81 ?

Ive seen many posts now in my search for alloy gearbox set, not just an xo-1 rear end. all the posts so far say no such thing for slash 4x4....and then i looked for alternates and stumbled on to these. ive ordered a set to see how well they drop in, but from traxxas parts list for a Telluride 4x4, are the same for slash. whats everyones thoughts on this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A158SDXZHS0A6V

if its' worth doing...its' worth over-doing!

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Please forgive my cynicism but my years of experience with everything made by Integy is, ah, well, poop.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Integy is garbage pot metal

Ther are some companies that have an aluminum gearbox, but really isn't necessary.... the stock is stout enough

RC Qualifier
    integy sells both Alloy, and Billet stuff. this is marked as Billet, so i would bet it is better quality. i have been looking for a front gearbox also. i guess the question here is... does the Telluride gearbox drop into the SL4SH?...

by the way, the XO-1, and the SL4SH use the same part number for Diff Housings, so they are technically the same. the GPM one i got is fantastic. i emailed them begging them to make a front one...

RC Qualifier
    ok, after a bit of research, the Telluride used the same gearboxes as the SL4SH.. woohooo!!! happy new year to us. this should be a direct fit to the slash. i'm gonna have to get me a couple...

I hope they work out for you SL4SHGT8BASHER but I think you ought to know to be ready for some likely bitter disapointment.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    i have used their parts on my SC10-GT8 conversion, and they have been great. gearbox, arms, and shock-towers have all held up to serious hits. there is; however, one part (the rear t-brace that the arms and hinge-pin connect to) has been bent more than once. i am thinking of going back to the cheap plastic part for that one to keep as a week-point.
    i will say one thing about my SC10 integy parts.... the bearing carrier for the wheels were useless because they were machined too small and the bearing would not fit. so i guess there could be an issue with this gearbox not fitting the bearings. but the SC10 Gearbox from them is a thing of beauty. i know lots of people trash integy, but i have had more Hot Racing parts bend on me than integy Billet. i steer clear of any Integy Alloy stuff though. and there are absolutely better quality makers out there. but until FLM hooks us up with a diff housing, we are stuck with these... i only wish i did not need to get them as a set with the shock-tower. that makes me wonder if there is an issue that makes it only compatible with that specific tower. oh well. i will probably scoop one up on the 15th when i get paid...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Billet just means it was machined out of 1 piece, crappy aluminum, is still crappy aluminum, no matter how it is sliced

lol jumbo lol
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    there is a huge difference in a cast alloy block, and a block of billet aluminum. the molecules are lined up different and there is a significant strength difference. now, it may not be the 7075 that the best guys use, but there is a significant different in a billet vs cast block. but we shall see eh.... it might be crap, or it might be sweet.

RC Competitor
    I know id love to say that all aluminum is the same but we know its not. im not too worried about droping the $ to see how well they fit, besides ill send the crap back if it doesnt fit, simple solution. at least we'll see in a couple days just how bad they are or not.

im already thinking of building a benchtop cnc and just start making my own parts from titanium ('',)
    Last edited by DubiousMaximus; 01-03-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DubiousMaximus View Post
    ...thinking of building a benchtop cnc and just start making my own parts from titanium ('',)
    You sir have piqued my interest!
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good luck trying to send integy anything back.... nothing short of a credit card chargeback will work with them....

Billet is a manufacturing process, it doesn't mean the metal is a different composition. You can make billet steel, aluminum, plastic, etc

RC Competitor
    i totally get the pessimism, ive been toying with buying ~ not buying since late NOV due to the fact most things "Integy" is like buying generic cereal and expect high-protein healthy content. if delivery is on time i should have them tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    here is great link talking about the difference in Billet vs Cast.
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...d-amp-Machined

RC poster
    Billet aluminum is aluminum that has been compressed to squeeze out any air (inherent to aluminum).I have many billet parts on my motorcycle. It is harder/stronger than standard cast or alloy. I used Integy billet parts on my T-Maxx 3.3, they withstood a ton of abuse without any problems. I agree that the average parts they have are "not of the highest quality" lol, but I trust their billet parts...so far anyway.

JMHO

RC Competitor
    Well, turns out I misread shipping date, sadly not tomorrow haha but more vloser to mid-month. Hopefully I'll be surprised. I've even busted out a new battery for the micrometer, just for the geek in me.

If its' worth doing...its' worth over-doing!

Besides the billet/cast discussion...I guess my thoughts are...is it necessary? I installed the XO-1 stuff in my stock diff housings and I beat it hard on 3s and 4s with 1/8th scale power running 2.8 tires/wheels. Zero problems. I think at this point I would need lots of convincing before dropping $80 on that. Hope it works out OK for ya!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    Back when I built my Trail Slash I was looking at the Integy diff housing (at the Integy site) just for bling purposes. I got aluminium all over that car since I didn't mind the weight and topped it at about 15 mph (high torque climber motor and 11/90, 48p). But I never bought them, and eventually sold the car.

As long as the fitting isn't iffy I'm sure you'll be happy with them. I was always puzzled by the fact that Integy only lists these items for Tellu, and not for Pede or Slash. Even if (and I'm saying even if) these are put under alot of stress, and Integy knows the average Telluride gets less high-speed crashes than most Slash/Stampede, that has never stopped Integy from selling their aluminium stuff before. Maybe it's just a research glitch on their part.
    Summit, Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    it probably is not needed, but i like aluminum... i have the XO-1 diff, straight from Jenny's and dropped it into the GPM aluminum housing. it looks sweet, has no flex, dissipates heat, and i can use liquid gasket to seal it up nice...

just look at how pretty that red looks...

That is one pretty ride!
    Obstacle Magnet

Looks like you've got a good bit of aluminum on that thing. How have the aluminum a-arms worked for you? I like how they look but I've heard aluminum isn't a good choice for a-arms. I might actually get some if they've held up good for you. I've gone through 6 pairs of the traxxas plastic ones.
    Swear I didn't hit it
    That mailbox must've moved

RC Qualifier
    They are FLM arms, and they have been outstanding. this car is pure on-road, so the arms do not take as much abuse as a jumping off-road rig would. i use the Protrac arm on my monster truck slash. if you go aluminum arms, i would go with FLM. they are hands-down the best. many other places like Atomic, and some Integy use Cast aluminum. FLM uses 7075 Billet, and they are pretty tough.

RC Competitor
    I think the reason that these particular gearbox combo is only listed as Telluride 4x4 is due to the shock towers and body mounting posts (adjustable) ...I've noticed this is a common practice with integy. For example, the slash 4x4 O.G. vs the LCG gear, all fits but listed separately because of a motor mount in the combo. jm2c on why no slash listing.

Is the plastic good enough? Sure it is, El sob, Milt, Jimbo all have proven the plastic worthiness of the stock gearbox just by surpassing 120mph proves their effective.

My purpose for wanting the hop-up gearbox is just is to make the vehicle front end slightly heavier. I prefer not to add a weighted bumber, cooler running gear/grease is just bonus.

A side from the bling factor, my curiosity on if they'll drop in, no mods needed was killing me and so I ordered. Im holding no delusion to their quality and like most others will remain skeptical. Still excited for new junk to toy with either way hahaha

RC Qualifier
    It's not like your springing for a 15k Baja1000 Mendola Box. Its only 20 bucks. I just might try a pair of the GPMs in Blue for the heck of it. They look sharp.

RC Qualifier
    I heard the blue ones add 1.710 mph too... i need the 15th to get here so i can get this front set ordered... 10 more days is way too long...

RC Competitor
    Right? Waiting on shipping for the impatient is next to torture, of course I've like to be different so I got an orange set front & rears to sooth the C.D.O.

RC Competitor
    Well, the good folks at integy must be watching the thread. Mail carrier dropped off a surprise, a week early even.

The orange looks great, imo. I start r d with the front end to give a bit of opinion to fit. I'm not breaking out a mass spectrometer to analyze the allow, I'll say it's not as soft as I expected.

The bearing cups fit snug as does the whole gearbox in an rpm bulkhead.

But as i expected, the differential assembly has about 1mm (1/16") of play from left to right and will require a couple shims. TG I got several different sets of shims. After it's bolted up, there is a slight gap between the two halves of the box. Don't go expecting gear grease to stay put. I use super lube, doesnt evap, melt or run, TYG for that too!

Aside from those things I found off the bat, it does sit very snug once bolted up and the old plastic body mount bolts right up.

RC Competitor
    The rear box fit pretty much the same, not as large a space between the two halves as in the front. I'm just happy the bearings sit firm and everything bolts right in mod free.

RC Competitor
    Forgot to mention they are machined, not casted alloy.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SL4SHGT8BASHER View Post
    i have used their parts on my SC10-GT8 conversion, and they have been great. gearbox, arms, and shock-towers have all held up to serious hits. there is; however, one part (the rear t-brace that the arms and hinge-pin connect to) has been bent more than once. i am thinking of going back to the cheap plastic part for that one to keep as a week-point.
    i will say one thing about my SC10 integy parts.... the bearing carrier for the wheels were useless because they were machined too small and the bearing would not fit. so i guess there could be an issue with this gearbox not fitting the bearings. but the SC10 Gearbox from them is a thing of beauty. i know lots of people trash integy, but i have had more Hot Racing parts bend on me than integy Billet. i steer clear of any Integy Alloy stuff though. and there are absolutely better quality makers out there. but until FLM hooks us up with a diff housing, we are stuck with these... i only wish i did not need to get them as a set with the shock-tower. that makes me wonder if there is an issue that makes it only compatible with that specific tower. oh well. i will probably scoop one up on the 15th when i get paid...
    There is...there is no little lip, rabbit like joints between the two halves, one side is smooth flat and the under side the tower is minus the rabbit joint there too, those lil things traxxas did to help seal the bog without a seal.

I'll take some detail pics while I have my set apart (waiting on GPM diff cups ('',) )

RC Qualifier
    Well at least it looks good. I still think I will try a set of the GPMs at a later date. I want to get some road time on this thing.

RC Competitor
    They do fit snug on bearings, and they are pretty. T3~T4 maybe but I'm still pretty stoked to find a machined front end ('',) cannot wait to get mine all zipped up and moving

RC Competitor
    i take the last statement back. so for giggles i bolted up the stock towers to the gearboxes and no issue what so ever, maybe fits better than the aluminum ones in the set do haha

RC Qualifier
    That does not say much about their system integration.

RC Competitor
    well it is integy after all. imo, their labeling is fubar. if they would have dropped the towers and sold them as is, of course after fixing some of the little issues, like making a mechanical seal as the stock & having to shim etc, might give them a bit credit back...but we know they wont, unfortunately.

RC Qualifier
    so are you saying they are no good, or just not perfect?

RC Competitor
    There great, imo. Nothing is perfect. The bearings fit snug, the box fits snug in the bulkhead, no mechanical seal like stock, unfortunately, but the slight gab between the 2 halves isn't that noticable. And of course a couple shims (L&R slop of almost 1mm) so, after all that, they bolt right up. I'd say, pretty nice front/rear machined gearboxes.

Side note: a few places in boxes appear as if not machined, not sure if it's from the smoothing/polishing stones? Or if the box was cast and then machined to fit. IMO, the later seems more probable.

Edit: ...the stock shock towers also fit great as options to the telluride towers they provide. Sure would be nice if they sell the gearboxes separate.

Last edited by DubiousMaximus; 01-11-2017 at 10:33 AM.