RC Competitor

Exclamation Best suspension setup on stock Stampede?

I noticed on my new Stampede vxl 4x4 that it came with the widest spring preload spacers installed on the shocks...and when you set the truck down on the ground, it doesn't compress the suspension at all. I've been out of the RC car game for a while, but I used to get up all of my cars/trucks so that the a-arms were pretty much parallel to the ground......the suspension was right in the middle of it's travel when the truck was at rest.

Should I set my new Stampede up like that....or leave it with the wide spacers and fully expended shocks?

Also, the compression and rebound on the shocks seems really fast....the shocks seem really "Soft". Should I run a thicker shock oil?

This truck will be used to bash around the back yard.....playing around on gravel and dirt jump.

Any info on setting up the stock suspension would be great!

RC Qualifier
    Maybe they come with the large inserts just to give as much monster truck-ish appearance as possible? I would definitely go towards parallel arms. My 0,02, as I'm not an RC scientist If you're going LiPo I believe you definitely have to set it lower (for lower center of gravity) or it will flip all the time.
    Summit, Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by imq707s View Post
    I noticed on my new Stampede vxl 4x4 that it came with the widest spring preload spacers installed on the shocks...and when you set the truck down on the ground, it doesn't compress the suspension at all. I've been out of the RC car game for a while, but I used to get up all of my cars/trucks so that the a-arms were pretty much parallel to the ground......the suspension was right in the middle of it's travel when the truck was at rest.

Should I set my new Stampede up like that....or leave it with the wide spacers and fully expended shocks?

Also, the compression and rebound on the shocks seems really fast....the shocks seem really "Soft". Should I run a thicker shock oil?

This truck will be used to bash around the back yard.....playing around on gravel and dirt jump.

Any info on setting up the stock suspension would be great!
    I don't have the stock shocks on mine, but I run mine angled up a little more than parallel and it has worked fine for me. Doesn't bottom out at all and doesn't flip much on 3s.
    Swear I didn't hit it
    That mailbox must've moved

RC Competitor
    I'm thinking about taking the spring preload spacers out of the shocks to let the truck settle down a little bit......but then go to a thicker 40w shock oil to add some compression and rebound dampening. Do you see any problems with that? I would think that would allow me to lower the truck a little bit, but stiffen the shocks a little to keep the truck from bottoming out.

That sounds about right, though you might need to add in a couple of the small spacers to get it level. You could also change out the piston head for a slower fluid flow.
    I run 35w in my aluminum shocks with the tensioners close to the whole way down to get it level because I have really soft springs. I'm thinking about stretching the springs to get them stiffer instead of buying new ones.
    Swear I didn't hit it

RC Competitor
    Should I go with 40w in the stock shocks...or maybe 45w or 50w? Or is 40w just fine?

It depends on what whether or not you use any spacers and if you are going to leave the piston head stock.
    I say go with 35-45w (40w is a good median, but go more towards 45 or maybe 50 if you want the shocks to really dampen impact for high jumps and such) and use the smaller spacers to perfect it. I think it would be better to go with a lower weight oil (40w or so) and use optional piston heads and spacers to get exactly what you want rather than getting too thick of oil and having your shocks too stiff and not absorbing impact.
    Swear I didn't hit it

RC Competitor
    Yep....I agree. I think I will go with 40w and start with that.

RC Competitor
    Well, I put 40w oil in all 4 shocks, and went from the tallest preload spacer, to a few that are about half the thickness.....and wow!, it handles so much better. Instead of the suspension being maxed out all the time, the truck settles down about 1/4" when you set it down. I need to run some more packs through it.....but as of right now, it seems like a completely different truck......it will actually turn instead of just rolling over.

I'm glad everything worked out for you
    Swear I didn't hit it

I use 80 wt. Its a good weight overall.the best way to set up a truck is to expiriment
    Member of the 100+ post club! Here to mess up!

Yep, it's whatever you like best!
    Swear I didn't hit it

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zypher View Post
    I use 80 wt. Its a good weight overall.the best way to set up a truck is to expiriment
    That seems really thick.......are you trying to soak up landing from huge jumps??

I use it so i don't roll over I dont jump, but it works. I might try 60 wt, see how it is
    Member of the 100+ post club! Here to mess up!

One time, when I was much less knowledgeable in the field of RC, I accidentally put diff oil in a shock and then wondered why it barely moved.
    Swear I didn't hit it

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Go4x4OrGoHome View Post
    One time, when I was much less knowledgeable in the field of RC, I accidentally put diff oil in a shock and then wondered why it barely moved.
    Yeah....I bet those shocks were stiff!!

Quote Originally Posted by imq707s View Post
    Yeah....I bet those shocks were stiff!!
    Not sure it could really be considered a shock at that point. It was more a cylinder filled with solid rubber.
    Swear I didn't hit it

You could run progressive springs. The stock are linear and leave a little to be desired imo. I bought 3 pack of front and rears from lhs and used the medium black springs in the pack. The lighter reds in that pack are even better than the stock whites. I run 45w oil in mine.

I swapped out pistons to one hole but i jump a lot and needed extra dampening.

Now i run 1/8 D8 shocks which are way overkill but they are perfect in every way/style of driving.

Theres some good info in here about suspension tuning. https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6167328

STL Missouri
    92.5 mph Rustler
    87.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    Last edited by Briber; 01-06-2017 at 08:26 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    You could run progressive springs. The stock are linear and leave a little to be desired imo. I bought 3 pack of front and rears from lhs and used the medium black springs in the pack. The lighter reds in that pack are even better than the stock whites. I run 45w oil in mine.

I swapped out pistons to one hole but i jump a lot and needed extra dampening.

Now i run 1/8 D8 shocks which are way overkill but they are perfect in every way/style of driving.

Theres some good info in here about suspension tuning. https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6167328

STL Missouri
    92.5 mph Rustler
    87.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    Got a build thread with the D8 shocks?

I just put a new set of fronts on mine with 40 weight. Haven't run it yet, but it feels very springy. On the rears, I have an old set of OFNA Ultra 1/8th front shocks. I busted a shock and they were what I had in my drawer... no idea what they are supposed to have, but they seem to work nice. I have new rear stock shocks in a bag since I bought the full set off ebay. Just figured why use them if I like the OFNA's on there. I thought using 40 in the front would make it less springy than it was. May have to increase to at least 50 to get the oil to actually do some dampening. I also got the alloy shock caps with the new shocks since that's what I ruined on my rear shock to begin with.

The OFNA ultra 1/8th rear shocks were way too long to use on the rear and the fronts look like they would be too long to use on the front. They are a hair shorter than the stock rear shocks.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Got a build thread with the D8 shocks?

I just put a new set of fronts on mine with 40 weight. Haven't run it yet, but it feels very springy. On the rears, I have an old set of OFNA Ultra 1/8th front shocks. I busted a shock and they were what I had in my drawer... no idea what they are supposed to have, but they seem to work nice. I have new rear stock shocks in a bag since I bought the full set off ebay. Just figured why use them if I like the OFNA's on there. I thought using 40 in the front would make it less springy than it was. May have to increase to at least 50 to get the oil to actually do some dampening. I also got the alloy shock caps with the new shocks since that's what I ruined on my rear shock to begin with.

The OFNA ultra 1/8th rear shocks were way too long to use on the rear and the fronts look like they would be too long to use on the front. They are a hair shorter than the stock rear shocks.
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6172269
    In entire thread post # 32 is most helpful and what i did...

92.5 mph Rustler (Rusty 1.0 R.I.P.)
    78 mph Rustler on 4s (Rusty 2.0)
    86.9 mph Stampede 4x4

RC poster
    I wanted less chassis/body roll, more stability and for the truck to behave more like a slash in general, just taller and with bigger tires. I feel like I've gotten exactly where I wanted to be.

On the stock ultras I changed the shock fluid to 55w, changed the springs to the reds (made by traxxas for the ultras) and put them back together without the preload clips. I also put them back on the truck using the same holes as stock on the tower, but I moved the fronts out to the widest position (makes the truck sit a little lower up front). The rears were already all the way out, I put those back where they were.

This resulted in a firmer truck for my purposes (beating the truck to the ground basically) and it really just glides over a variety of terrain without bouncing at all. Rocks, little washouts and ditches, I can just burn through full speed. In loose dirt, gravel and grass it stays planted enough to do donuts and slides. I haven't really jumped it yet (no big air anyways) but I'm expecting it to handle that even better because I basically just firmed the suspension way up.

Love this setup, reccomend to anybody. After hearing about disappointment with the big bores I decided to try this instead, and it cost less than 10 bucks. I think it should have been setup this way from the factory to be honest.

RC poster
    I run aluminum shock caps and losi springs with stock shocks works great

Quote Originally Posted by StarWolf View Post
    I wanted less chassis/body roll, more stability and for the truck to behave more like a slash in general, just taller and with bigger tires. I feel like I've gotten exactly where I wanted to be.

On the stock ultras I changed the shock fluid to 55w, changed the springs to the reds (made by traxxas for the ultras) and put them back together without the preload clips. I also put them back on the truck using the same holes as stock on the tower, but I moved the fronts out to the widest position (makes the truck sit a little lower up front). The rears were already all the way out, I put those back where they were.

This resulted in a firmer truck for my purposes (beating the truck to the ground basically) and it really just glides over a variety of terrain without bouncing at all. Rocks, little washouts and ditches, I can just burn through full speed. In loose dirt, gravel and grass it stays planted enough to do donuts and slides. I haven't really jumped it yet (no big air anyways) but I'm expecting it to handle that even better because I basically just firmed the suspension way up.

Love this setup, reccomend to anybody. After hearing about disappointment with the big bores I decided to try this instead, and it cost less than 10 bucks. I think it should have been setup this way from the factory to be honest.
    Great info, ive been looking for the right setup for wifes slash and havent been able to find it. I will definitely try this setup.

Disappointment with big bores? I havent heard that. Can you share where you got that from? If anything the big bores use a thicker rod than ultras and ive bent so many ultra rods its not even funny so that alone should be a major improvement over ultras. While i do admit theres nothing wrong if you get the set up right and aluminum caps for ultras theres clearly big benefits to upgrading to any bigger bore shocks...

92.5 mph Rustler (Rusty 1.0 R.I.P.)
    78 mph Rustler on 4s (Rusty 2.0)
    86.9 mph Stampede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackd25 View Post
    I run aluminum shock caps and losi springs with stock shocks works great
    I just got the blue Losi springs for the front and green for the rear. What shock oil weight are you running in your shocks?

I think I upped my fronts to 50 with the alloy caps. Still slaps the ground pretty bad in the front. Also, the front skid/bumper design leaves a bit to be desired. The first front heavy landing in the dirt fills that thing full. Trying to figure out something to cover the skid with up to the bumper so it doesn't get jammed full of dirt all the time.
    Expert rigging at it's best!