RC Competitor

Rock Passion Diff Gears

I've heard rumors of a little company called Rock Passion making diff gears for the X-maxx. But I can't find anything with a lot of google searching. Anybody know anything? Have any links to where they can be gotten and how anyone could contact them?

RC Racer
    They used be sold on ebay but I havent seen them there. GPM sells the same gears, links below:

http://www.gpmracing-parts.com/traxx...-90075913.html

http://www.gpmracing-parts.com/traxx...-90075914.html

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ejh321 View Post
    They used be sold on ebay but I havent seen them there. GPM sells the same gears, links below:

http://www.gpmracing-parts.com/traxx...-90075913.html

http://www.gpmracing-parts.com/traxx...-90075914.html
    They were sold on eBay by username Jifan7, under the manufacturer name of JHRC, which I couldn't ever find either. The Rock Passion branded ones were sold on Alibaba but I don't remember the seller's info.

RC Racer
    Well, I canceled my order with Kershaw, bought the Rock Passion gears.

RC Qualifier
    Do these fit on the 8S XMAXX? Want to order them, just need the quick answer.

RC Qualifier
    They won't work with the centre diff
    I'm from rip off Britain

RC Racer
    Nope, they changed the pinion gear install.

RC Racer
    I am not able to verify but I believe they would fit. The center differential has nothing to do with the pinion gears (no offense UK slasher), it only depends on driveshaft spline size and the driveshaft length, which are both the same as the 6s version. Also, the 8s gears swap directly into the 6s model, which means that most likely the 6s gears will work in the 8s model. And if that is the case then yes, the rock passion gears will work on the 8s version as well. If it was me I would just buy them, if they dont work you can sell them for a minimal loss. I was able to get a front and rear set off eBay for $90 shipped, still expensive but cheaper than what they normally go for.

RC Racer
    They don't fit, they changed a insert hole on the pinion from the center diff. Doody69 from the U.K. XMAXX forum has already verified this.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by timritchieblue View Post
    They don't fit, they changed a insert hole on the pinion from the center diff. Doody69 from the U.K. XMAXX forum has already verified this.
    OK. Not being argumentative, just trying to understand here. If that was the case then why do the 8S ring and pinion gears fit on the 6S version?

RC Racer
    I don't have any personal experience, but this guy does.

XMAXX owners thread!
    mydoddy69 replied to Ocdcbr's topic in Monster RCs
    Them taobaogears won't work with the centre diff if there the same as theRP and GPMgears You bash this hard on 6s it breaks adding more weight and more power it will break more simple fact IMO Whats annoying is this upgrade kit was meant to be its saving grace and sad...
    January 30 4,679 replies

RC Racer
    I don't have any personal experience, but this guy does.

XMAXX owners thread!
    mydoddy69 replied to Ocdcbr's topic in Monster RCs
    Them taobaogears won't work with the centre diff if there the same as theRP and GPMgears You bash this hard on 6s it breaks adding more weight and more power it will break more simple fact IMO Whats annoying is this upgrade kit was meant to be its saving grace and sad...
    January 30 4,679 replies
    Can you provide a link to Mydoddy's comments?

RC Competitor
    The gears will fit. Just because they aren't yet on the list of parts that will fit the 8S Xmaxx that doesn't mean they won't fit. I'm with the other person that replied on this thread to just buy them and they will fit.

RC Competitor
    I am not able to verify but I believe they would fit. The center differential has nothing to do with the pinion gears (no offense UK slasher), it only depends on driveshaft spline size and the driveshaft length, which are both the same as the 6s version. Also, the 8s gears swap directly into the 6s model, which means that most likely the 6s gears will work in the 8s model. And if that is the case then yes, the rock passion gears will work on the 8s version as well. If it was me I would just buy them, if they dont work you can sell them for a minimal loss. I was able to get a front and rear set off eBay for $90 shipped, still expensive but cheaper than what they normally go for.
    I'm with you they will fit.

RC Qualifier
    Why would the Center diff prevent them from fitting? Obviously the ring gear will fit, do you think they are talking about the pinion gear not fitting into the the center drive shaft? I mean if they old gears fit both 8s and 6s, and the rock passion gears fit the 6s, how would they not fit the 8s im confused. but the only reason I asked is because I read from someone on another forum that stated they don't fit with the 8s truck. I'm running Leopard BL5/1340KV motor so I know I need some serious help with diffs, because my truck goes 70MPH and has some serious torque. I really dont want to waste $90 on these if they dont work. Anyone else have an opinion/experience? Can someone exam the pics and see if they will fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-X-Ma...3D262852606729

RC Qualifier
    http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/...psk0pvy8ct.jpg

Here's a picture of why they don't work with the new centre diff it s the piece in the centre that blocks it but if you want to waste money get a set and try for yourself

These are not my pictures or findings they are from mydoddy
    Last edited by uk slasher; 02-16-2017 at 05:02 AM.
    I'm from rip off Britain

RC Racer
    Ok. I think i understand what you are saying. I believe the front ring/pinion gear will work fine since the pinion slips directly into the driveshaft. However, the rear pinion gear does not go directly into the driveshaft, it installs into the center differential, which has a threaded boss in the center of it preventing the pinion from fully seating. If you look at the part numbers, the center diff gears are carry over from the front and rear diff gears. So that center threaded boss is used to bolt down the drive cups, which is not needed for the center diff. You should be able to drill out the center boss and make room for the Rock Passion gears.

On a side note this is a good thing. It gives me more confidence metal center diff housing may be able to replace the front/rear plastic diff housings.

RC Qualifier
    I would think they will not fit either because the original output gear used to be open all the way through the center of it. How ever now there is the torque boasting center diff that does not go clear through in the middle. The hole drilled in the end of the pinion gears is a relief space for the inside of the center diff. The RP gears don't seam to have that. I can't confirm with 100% as I don't have the RP GEARS. If someone has a set they wanna send me I'll test fit for you haha
    V1 BL5/2028, V2 max6/5882, Erevo, Summit, Rustler.

RC Qualifier
    Here guys watch the video here on the upgrade kit. Look closely at the center diff when they show it you will see why you need the bigger and deeper relief hole in the pinion gear.
    https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/8s-power-up
    V1 BL5/2028, V2 max6/5882, Erevo, Summit, Rustler.

RC Racer
    Im assuming that it will be much easier to drill out the threaded boss from the center diff over drilling a clearance hole in the center of the pinion gear. Thats a fairly easy task anyone can do.

RC Racer
    Buy them, drill, modify, them post how you made them fit,, thanks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by uk slasher View Post
    http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/...psk0pvy8ct.jpg

Here's a picture of why they don't work with the new centre diff it s the piece in the centre that blocks it but if you want to waste money get a set and try for yourself

These are not my pictures or findings they are from mydoddy
    The whole reason for this conversation is that I did not want to waste my money. I just wanted more information as to why they didn't fit.

RC Competitor

What about this

Well so if you have the new 8s model, don't you have the new gear set as well or have you chewed them up already and are now up a creek because traxxas doesn't sell the individual parts yet. Sure you can call them up and grovel a gear but I don't think traxxas will send me two a week until they are available for purchase. I think i will call them and ask but i'm sure they wont have an answer for a question like that.
    Last edited by brockseals; 02-20-2017 at 02:38 AM.

RC poster
    Im assuming that it will be much easier to drill out the threaded boss from the center diff over drilling a clearance hole in the center of the pinion gear. Thats a fairly easy task anyone can do.
    Curious , what Drill Bit Hardness/Size would be recommended against the RP/GPM surface for a clean job on a press ?
    Last edited by Tmxm1700; 03-11-2017 at 12:22 AM.

RC Racer
    I have the RP GEARS, and ordered the center diff, gear set. I will remove the pin in the center with pics some.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmxm1700 View Post
    Curious , what Drill Bit Hardness/Size would be recommended against the RP/GPM surface for a clean job on a press ?
    Most of the traxxas metal parts are powdered metal, so a I wouldnt expect to have the metal flakes and shaving like if you were drilling into a piece of cast or billet, which is a good thing for this purpose. I assume you would already do all this, but just in case...I would mount this in a vice if possible, I wouldn't try to hold it in my hand. If that drill bit grabs, the part may slice you up. But if not, you got to do what you got to do. Also, make sure to set your height limit, you wouldn't want to accidentally go all the way through the gear.

As far as drill bit sizes go, if I was doing the job I would probably step the size up 2-3 times just to make sure the bit stays centered. Whatever size drills out the threads first, then keep stepping up from there. But it really depends on how the metal reacts to being drilled. Hope this helps and good luck. Seems like you would be the first to do it.

I've had rock passions on my truck for about a month now and absolutely love them.

RC Racer
    I have the RP GEARS, and ordered the center diff, gear set. I will remove the pin in the center with pics some.
    I assume you have the V2 truck. Have you considered just drilling out what you have now, with the gear install in the diff? Its seems like a lot less work.

RC Racer
    Colbot 6.5mm bit, I'm going to use my Jewry tungsten hardended steel bits to remove the peg.

No I have a V1 truck, with upgrades 8s center diff gears, bulk
    Last edited by timritchieblue; 03-11-2017 at 09:40 AM.

RC Competitor
    Why bother? I've got at least 30 packs through the V2 diff gears and it's perfect. Seems to me like the V2 traxxas diff gears hold up exceptionally well.

RC Racer
    Peg is removed, rock passion diff gear fits.

RC Racer
    Nice work. Glad to hear they fit.