RC poster

Better for Top Speed runs Bandit vs Rustler

I currently have a rustler vxl and a bandit brushed which I have upgraded to brushless, anaconda tires, changed the spur and pinion gear but that's all. The rustler is stock other than gears...I've got 31/76 for both of them. The rustler also has larger wheels with talon tires size 4.8x 2.7-2.8. Im fairly new to the hobby. I've also got a mini e revo vxl, and an arrma granite blx. Right now the rustler has the stock velineon motor and vxl 3s system, no tsm. In the bandit I put an esc from HPI; the flux EMH-3S with the castle cm36 5700kv motor. I live in western new york and we've had snow since I've made the changes so ive done nothing but slowly test them out inside. I dont think that esc is ideal for that motor and I don't know what esc would be ideal. I want to eventually build something that will do 70-80 mph on pavement. Should I use the rustler or the bandit. BC the bandit didn't start as a vxl will other components be weaker. I've tape all the tires, but will likely look into getting some foams. Im definitely open to getting a new esc that will better pair with that engine and hope for any gearing suggestions as well as if I should use the bandit or the rustler for top speed. Im leaning towards the bandit as it seems lighter and less capable of off roading than the rustler. I appreciate any feedback. Yes I know the motor is older and should only be used in limited applications with the correct vehicle and gearing.

The Rustler will definitely be the better choice for speed runs. The buggy tires and frame just is too light for the task. I would get a 3s lipo, use the velineon motor/esc and go for some speed runs. Remove the lid for faster speeds without it flipping over. Yes foams will not balloon like regular tires, but you can get 50-60mph out of the stock tires.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it. I am currently using a "powerhobby" 3s lipo, 5200 mah, 50c continuous 100c max burst. Any idea how things might go if I used the castle motor with the velineon esc, or any recommendations on an esc or gearing set up that will work with that motor?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The esc will push a castle motor. Or any 4 pole for that matter. I'm running a rustler over 70 with the VXL motor and esc. Issue is with it blowing over. More of a setup issue now. It's hard to have a vehicle that can jump and do speed runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    So you're saying it is more of a case of having the car tuned right, RE wheels, tires, suspension, front end weighting......than it is a matter of motor or esc? I've def found this to be true in my mini e revo.......Top speed is irrelevant if you lose control if you give full throttle at 40 MPH.
    Thanks for the input.

The Rustler is better for speed runs than the Bandit, except for the body.
    If you use the Bandit body without the wing, you will have less drag than with the Rustler body due to the much smaller frontal area.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by benn82 View Post
    So you're saying it is more of a case of having the car tuned right, RE wheels, tires, suspension, front end weighting......than it is a matter of motor or esc? I've def found this to be true in my mini e revo.......Top speed is irrelevant if you lose control if you give full throttle at 40 MPH.
    Thanks for the input.
    Most brushless motors are limited to certain speeds by motor heat. Find ways to reduce heat and you can gear up and go faster. The trade off is acceleration. Geared 33/76 can still pull the front wheels off the ground with ease. WATCH your motor temps no matter what

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Most brushless motors are limited to certain speeds by motor heat. Find ways to reduce heat and you can gear up and go faster. The trade off is acceleration. Geared 33/76 can still pull the front wheels off the ground with ease. WATCH your motor temps no matter what

Will a heatsink and fan fit between the motor and the plastic on the bandit or rustler?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Better for Top Speed runs Bandit vs Rustler

I've seen it done. It gets turned towards the front obviously. The fan may not fit, but a heatsink, yes. I went the aluminum gearbox route. This reall opens up the motor as well. I'm going to get a motor heat sink. Just don't need to now. I can't get it hot now. I'll find out this summer if I need one.

Last edited by Gripdog7205; 01-08-2017 at 08:41 AM.